05-21-2014, 09:50 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
This is a review of the shaving cream I won in a generous contest provided by Mark of Simpsons brushes here at the Shave Nook. I did not pay for this, but made a solemn promise to post a review in exchange for the cream. Whenever I see a company giving away free products to promote their release I am always skeptical of the reviews, it is with this train of thought that I decided to be as critical as possible, while remaining fair.

[Image: LCT2aIc.jpg]
[Image: VwaF1Hb.jpg]

First impressions:
This cream comes in a silver colored screw-top tin with the Simpsons logo printed on top and an ingredient list sticker on the bottom. This cream is marketed as luxury and while the packaging isn't cheap looking, it doesn't quite convey the luxury image either.
Looking at the ingredient list I find a group of fairly common names alongside some skin care additives, which is a nice touch, but there are also a few items that caused me to go to the internet to see what I was going to be applying to my face. After a little investigative study at a couple of different websites, the only ingredient that has any significant concern is the triethanolamine. It can cause irritation (moderate risk) and acne problems (minor risk) for some users. I have not had sensitivity issues in the past and have used creams with higher risks of irritation so I proceeded.
Upon opening the tin, the aroma of the cream is immediately evident. On the Cafe' Latte, the scent of coffee, vanilla and a hint of cocoa fill the air. The scent is slightly synthetic, reminding me of the instant cappuccino mixes available in an envelope. I prefer freshly roasted, black coffee or a double espresso so while the scent is pleasing, its not my cup o' tea.
Touching the cream and rubbing it between forefinger and thumb show that this is a soft cream that can easily be scooped out, or if one prefers, you could easily dip the tips of the brush lightly to get your lathering started.

[Image: B7MK7OS.jpg]
[Image: YCAVcUH.jpg]
[Image: nVQGheK.jpg]
[Image: TDQIe0c.jpg]
[Image: S89UjLd.jpg]
Lathering:
After several uses of this cream I am very impressed with the volume of lather achieved with a small amount of cream. In the above pictures I used a heaping dash (1/8 teaspoon) and created more than enough lather for my usual three passes plus touching up shave routine. I am also very impressed with how easy it is to dial in the lather to a wide range of preferences. From thick, yoghurt-like to thin, meringue-like lather, it is slick and stable. In the next two photos you will see the thicker lather I prefer followed by a very thin lather.
[Image: RHspq6E.jpg]
[Image: qlOzCKj.jpg]

Performance:
This is where the rubber meets the road and really what most of us use to judge whether or not a cream is worthy of rotation. The slickness is top notch, regardless of how I mixed the lather or which razor and blade combination I used there was no dragging or skipping at all. The cushion is also top notch as there was very little irritation during the shave or while applying my splash of the day afterwards. There is also a residual slickness that lasts for a short time after a shaving stroke allowing me to go immediately back over a spot if necessary or to utilize blade buffing with confidence.
The lather is very stable and easily stayed intact throughout the shave. Even when I torture-tested the cream utilizing the hottest water out of my tap in a scuttle (preheating and then refilling) the lather did not break down. This is very impressive to me as many of my favorite soaps and creams will break down at these higher temps. Any lather remaining on the skin after the shave is easily rinsed off leaving no residue behind.
Post-shave feel is neutral, meaning that I didn't find it moisturizing nor drying. This is another big positive for me as I tend to have oily skin in the Summer and dry skin in the Winter and prefer to handle any necessary moisturizing on my own.

Overall: I think Simpsons has nailed it. This cream performs with the best and as long as you can find a scent that you enjoy, I'm sure you will be pleased. As far as value goes, I have owned and been happy with everything from Barbon (a couple bucks a tube) to Acqua di Parma (paid $70 for a tub) and this cream should fall right in the middle somewhere. I will be purchasing a different scent once these are available in the US. Thank you Mark for the opportunity and well done!

144 2,749
 05-21-2014, 10:11 AM
  • MarkW
  • Isle of Man
User Info
Top review - you are also echoing very kind words & similar experience by others, many thanks.

I've been using the creams for near on one year at differing points in R&D and yes, it's fair to say we are all happy with them.

"...nailed it" - We like that.

Smile

1 632
 05-22-2014, 02:48 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
Very nice review, congrats!

26 4,927
 05-22-2014, 08:47 AM
User Info
Good review. It seems you liked the qualities of the cream in general, but the scent is not for you. The Cafe Latte will not appeal to me either, but I'm definitely interested in the Vanilla Rose, Lavender and Sandalwood.

50 6,063
 05-22-2014, 09:43 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
The Sandalwood, Lavender and Vetivert, and Citrus Burst creams all appeal to me. The rest, not so much.

144 2,749
 05-22-2014, 06:24 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I think they "nailed it" a long time ago with their Vulfix brand shaving creams.

Andrew

43 1,698
 05-22-2014, 10:38 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(05-22-2014, 06:24 PM)Andrew Wrote: I think they "nailed it" a long time ago with their Vulfix brand shaving creams.

Andrew

I'll have to give those a try

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

144 2,749
 05-23-2014, 01:20 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Yes, the Vulfix creams are often overlooked and definitely underrated.

I'm looking forward to trying a scented Simpson cream soon...

99 18,011