User Info
Has anybody heard anything about these?

http://standardrazors.com/products/standard-razors

Or used them perhaps?

[Image: P1040483-2_large.jpg?v=1395443196]

[Image: Standard_Razors_Product_Photo_Black_larg...1395194028]

[Image: P1040474-2_large.jpg?v=1395443175]

[Image: P1040480-2_large.jpg?v=1395443188]

Not sure what to make of the all aluminum designs.
I know that a lot of people are favorable to the all aluminum RazorRock Slant.
I use an ikon Shavecraft 101, with that being my only aluminum (head) experience.
I prefer the all stainless steel design, alternating mostly between an ikon Slant and a Weber
Merkur Futur and the 37C/39C Slants complete my rotation schedule.

Thank you in advance for any insights.

0 13
 05-21-2014, 01:38 PM
User Info
 05-21-2014, 01:52 PM
  • sm304
  • Carnoustie, UK.
User Info
Please do check out those threads, but I do love my Standard razor, the black one. It is one of my favourite DEs of the moment, they feel quite mild but are very smooth and efficient.

0 89
 05-21-2014, 04:01 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
Assuming that the fresh topic line will do the same as a bump in either of the previous threads in attracting those who posted there, I have a question for Standard Razors veterans.

I purchased a Standard Razors RAW (not certain that they thought out that model designation well: it is like a retail tire store having a Blowout Sale -- which I have seen often enough) and I have been using it for a few weeks now. Although I have been shaving for five and a half decades, and have been shaving with lather and blade for four and a half decades, the very first time I ever set a DE razor blade to my face was in the past month, and I am nowhere near to feeling that I have mastered the technique yet. Coincidentally, this morning's was easily the best shave that I have experienced with the Standard Razors razor, a DFS+, in fact, but it was no better than yesterday's shave, when I took a day off from the Standard Razors razor to recalibrate my standard of reference by shaving with my Schick Hydro 3 using the identical prep and soap that I had used the day before with the Standard Razors razor. That shave day before yesterday was not so great.

So my question is, have you experienced DE shavers found that some blades work better than others in the Standard Razors? We all acknowledge that blades are the ultimate YMMV thing, yet a consensus seems to coalesce around whether a Feather is a good match for an R41, for instance. Can anyone comment on what worked for him, and what did not, in the Standard Razors razor?

For whatever the anecdotal experience of a complete newbie to DE shaving is worth, in my dozen plus shaves with the Standard Razors razor so far, the Astra blade that ships with the Standard Razors does not show the instrument in its best light. My "technique" (yeah, let's call it technique) improved by a vast amount when I switched from an Astra to a GSB, and I am inclined to believe that the improvement was not entirely coincidental.

FWIW, in the interest of science, I have kept everything except the razor the same Monday-Tuesday-Wednesday this week: I have pre-wetted a puck of Provence Santé Green Tea soap before entering the shower, then washed my face thoroughly with Noxzema Original Formula soap in the shower, following that with application of a small dab of Burt's Bees More Moisture with Baobab conditioner, which I leave on my beard for a minute or two while doing the rest of my shower, then washing off with a hot washcloth. Back outside the shower at the sink, I load a Muhle Sivertip Fibre v2 23 mm knot brush with the Provence Santé soap, then whip it into a lather with circular strokes in a preheated ceramic mug, finishing the lathering on my face with extended back and forth "paintbrush" strokes. This prep has been identical all three days, the only difference being the razor:

Monday: Standard Razors with Gillette Silver Blue on its third shave. No nicks, no tugging, but had to do some blade scrubbing, and still did not get a very close shave.

Tuesday: Back to the Schick Hydro 3 with ten+ shaves on its current cartridge: DFS+.

Wednesday: Back to the Standard Razors with a fresh new Gillette Silver Blue: DFS+.

Hard to believe that the first GSB was spent after two previous shaves, but that is what the preliminary evidence suggests.

So what have other, more experienced, DE shavers found to work best with diverse blades in the Standard Razors razor? DE newbie minds want to know.

0 1,054
 05-23-2014, 07:29 AM
User Info
The Standard Razor black or raw will give you a DFS to BBS but you need to test various blades as there is a big difference in sharpness and quality. The Silver Blue is an excellent blade that can be used in any DE razor. Its still cheaper to use a DE blade vs Cartridge.

119 13,021
 05-23-2014, 11:19 AM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
probably shaves well, but not my thing aesthetically

[Image: zuoYIKB.jpg]

17 437
 05-23-2014, 11:30 AM
User Info
(05-23-2014, 07:29 AM)slantman Wrote: The Standard Razor black or raw will give you a DFS to BBS but you need to test various blades as there is a big difference in sharpness and quality. The Silver Blue is an excellent blade that can be used in any DE razor. Its still cheaper to use a DE blade vs Cartridge.

+1. For what it's worth. I picked up this razor from a fellow Nooker (Silence!) a while back. It has proved to be a good shave for me. I prefer Polsilvers with it as they have given the best balance of Sharp/smooth for me. I was liking the feather, but felt that the feather blade was too thin and would flex a little too much when doing my against the grain pass. The Standard Razors razor leaves a decent amount of blade exposed, as in not covered by the top cap, not as in blade exposure as relating to aggressiveness, which accounts for the flex. This design also gives for a very audible shave. I just ordered a black one last night as a backup as this has become my wife's favorite razor to shave her legs with. Hopefully that helps. Finally. The black costs a bit more, but seems to be the more desirable of the two "colors", and this has an easier resale if you decide that it's not the razor for you.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

1 71
 05-23-2014, 12:09 PM
User Info
(05-23-2014, 11:19 AM)Lando Wrote: probably shaves well, but not my thing aesthetically

" The Day The Earth Stood Still"

119 13,021
 05-23-2014, 12:23 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Loved that movie and I love my STANDARD Razor (I have one of each color)Heart

6 1,995
 05-23-2014, 12:56 PM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
(05-23-2014, 12:09 PM)slantman Wrote:
(05-23-2014, 11:19 AM)Lando Wrote: probably shaves well, but not my thing aesthetically

" The Day The Earth Stood Still"

Ding ding ding!

hmm that raw version is starting to look interesting

the design is so simple, almost looks like cardboard that's been sprayed with metallic paint

do they sell just the heads?

17 437
 05-23-2014, 05:36 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(05-23-2014, 11:30 AM)RunWithScissors Wrote: I picked up this razor from a fellow Nooker (Silence!) a while back. It has proved to be a good shave for me. I prefer Polsilvers with it as they have given the best balance of Sharp/smooth for me.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

(05-23-2014, 11:30 AM)RunWithScissors Wrote: This design also gives for a very audible shave.

That was a significant factor in my choosing to use the Standard Razors RAW as my training wheels for my first ever DE razor. I welcome audible feedback to tell me what I am doing wrong.

(05-23-2014, 12:56 PM)Lando Wrote: do they sell just the heads?

The Standard Razors design has the male screw of the handle screwing into a female cavity in the top cap, rather than, as a female receptacle, screwing onto the male pole of the top cap.

There is a two ended screw in the top of the Standard Razors handle that, with some surgery, could be removed and, with some adhesive, migrated to the top cap. Then, and not before, the Standard Razors top cap + baseplate (that is, its head) could be interchangeable with conventional three piece DE razors.

0 1,054
 05-27-2014, 09:39 PM
User Info
I shaved with the Matte Grey finish and with a Polsilver blade, it was more aggressive than a EJ 3D handle. Very nice and close indeed!

0 217