05-21-2014, 01:48 PM
User Info
Hi guys I have had this in storage for about a year. I actually offered it to a forum member and they hinted there was non-tallow pucks around that where being marketed falsely. I am using one at the moment and it's fantastic but the spare came from a different purchase. Just want to hear your impressions.
[Image: epyba6ej.jpg]

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

1 167
 05-22-2014, 02:46 AM
User Info
The engraving on your soap is the correct engraving for the former tallow soap.
When the reformulation away from tallow took place, around 2009, the inscription was changed to simply say, "PENHALIGONS". This is the soap generally recognised for poor performance.
If you were to buy a refill directly from Penhaligon's now, you would find the inscription on the soap identical to yours.
The manufacturer of these soaps went in to liquidation, but prior to such, changed the formulation of both EF and BB to a pretty good performance level, and, changed the inscriptions of both to their former tallow versions.
A significant number of these(both EF and BB) went on sale on ebay just under a year ago, which I understand was liquidated stock.
The EF has now been discontinued, only refills(without wooden bowl)being available with the "English Fern" inscription.
The new replacement BB, and the new Sartorial are now from a different manufacturer.
As to whether your soap is tallow or the last vegetable formula of the previous manufacturer, is difficult to say. They both look pretty much identical in both colour and inscription.

31 5,277
 05-22-2014, 08:37 AM
User Info
If that's really the tallow puck, you are in possession of one of shaving's Holy Grails.

2 1,387
 05-22-2014, 09:44 AM
User Info
Love Pen's Tallows. I wish I had more of it, I have become very skimpy with my use of the tallows.

129 6,685
 05-22-2014, 10:53 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
Pen's tallow = lather nirvana. Enjoy that soap!

0 1,137
 05-22-2014, 12:00 PM
User Info
Thanks guys I actually had a third puck that my cousin now has and he used it. The results speak for themselves ;-)

Ps thanks for the input. This puck is in my shave vault and will reappear when my current one ends. Which will be a while as it's in my weekend rotation.

1 167
 05-22-2014, 12:51 PM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
i've got one of those pucks as well, in the saran wrap. from the bullgoose sale?

17 437
 05-23-2014, 03:28 AM
User Info
Yeah Lando. Scent is still all intact. Glad I have a spare. This an xpec are my special occasion shaves.

1 167
 10-18-2014, 12:51 AM
  • dimitrof
  • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
User Info
English Fern tallow is heavenly! A desert island soap for sure!

5 57