05-22-2014, 06:48 AM
User Info
Hello SE Brethren.

I have just caught my first Lather Catcher. It is a work of art, a Star model that I believe takes modern SE blades. However I did not anticipate how it holds the blade in such an exposed way. Is this safe to use do you think, or should it just be a display piece? Also, I'd be grateful for any information about the age of the razor. Thanks, All!

[Image: StarKampfeBros06_zps71ccd670.jpg]

[Image: StarKampfeBros04_zps035c7c06.jpg]

[Image: StarKampfeBros03_zpsa2bfb984.jpg]

[Image: StarKampfeBros01_zpsacc2ac80.jpg]

0 34
 05-22-2014, 06:54 AM
User Info
Very nice item. If not a confirmed straight razor user, I would seek out such a historical object to USE not display! I realize they are very pricey and desirable so you might want to keep it as clean and pristine as possible, but I think this one is just too cool not to use!

19 775
 05-22-2014, 06:57 AM
User Info
Thanks, my only worry about using it is that it might remove more than just my stubble...Exclamation

These things were designed to be used with different blades like the ones in the box in the last picture, so I'm a bit nervous...Scared

0 34
 05-22-2014, 07:19 AM
User Info
I have a similar razor (in litho tin and starred handle).
It is a great shaver and not very aggressive. Milder than a 1912.
Note that manufacturing tolerances were not that tight back then but it is a very nice and well behaved razor.
I'd use mine more often but i don't want to put strain on the springs.
Keep the pressure minimal and watch the angle.
Enjoy

6 827
 05-22-2014, 07:37 AM
User Info
It is definitely too dangerous to use! Not many folks know this, but many years ago the powers that be put me in charge of collecting up all of the Lather Catchers that surfaced for safe disposal. I PMed you my address to send it to for proper disposal.

Biggrin OK, back to reality...

If it was mine I'd use it in a heartbeat. Make sure the blade is held against the head securely and that it's against the stops at the corners of the comb. If that's the case it's ready to use. It looks fine to me though.

Really nice razor! I think there's something really special about a lather catcher and that one's a beauty. Let us know how you like it. But expect a different experience. Some folks can feel the head flexing and that can be off putting. It's entirely normal though.

32 6,459