05-22-2014, 08:44 AM
User Info
The only brushes that I seem to be able to get lather with when using MW is my synthetic. I can get wonderful lather with a Black Fibre and a WD syn. If I try my WD black badger, WD silvertip, or Berkeley, my lather never whips up to anything useable. It's just flat lather that dries out on my skin.

I figure there is something I'm doing wrong, but I can't figure it out. I don't have this issue with any other soaps, just that one tub of MW. For now, when I want to use the MW, I just pick a synthetic brush.

Any suggestions?

21 555
 05-22-2014, 09:11 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
When I have trouble lathering a puck of soap. I usually use the puck like a shaving stick and then face lather when there's enough soap on my stubble. have you tried that?

10 963
 05-22-2014, 11:09 AM
User Info
No issues with a Simpson Persian Jar 1 in Super Badger and really hot water.
It helps to soak the bristles, then shake the brush almost dry. There is a fine balance to achieve, but I love the Green Fairy scent and am willing to tinker a bit to keep using this soap.

0 6
 05-22-2014, 12:30 PM
User Info
The badger hairs are holding too much water for MW. you need to add water a little at a time to at the start or you will get an airy foam. More product than you would normally use and controlled water. The extra time taken will be worth it.

4 355
 05-22-2014, 12:35 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I have two suggestions based on my experience with using using synthetics and badgers on MW: First when using a badger, load more with a drier brush and slowly add water. Second you'll need to "work it" for a longer period of time. A synthetic brush definitely helped me get an awesome lather easier/quicker. I hope that helps... Good luck to you Smile!

34 1,628
 05-22-2014, 12:41 PM
User Info
Thank you gentlemen! I'll give that a try in a couple of days. I just got an order in from Dapper Dragon, so those got bumped up in the rotation. I do love the Maestrale scent that I got from MW though! I'm not giving up yet. Heck, I'll just use a syn brush on it if I have to. I just want to be able to use a badger.

21 555
 05-22-2014, 01:12 PM
User Info
I don't have any synthetic brushes, but I did notice that one of my badger brushes worked better than my boar or my other badgers.

So I just grab that brush whenever I want some of that MW goodness. Works every time. Like the others, I start off with a fairly dry brush, load generously, and then add water literally 2-3 drops at a time. And patience is a virtue. Work each new addition of water in until it is FULLY incorporated before adding more.

The resulting lather is well worth the effort. Smile

2 1,397
 05-22-2014, 01:59 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
One thing I forgot to mention is that I apply a thin layer of water on top of the soap then shower, then shave after the shower. It makes loading a lot easier IMO and you end up getting more product with less effort Biggrin

34 1,628
 05-22-2014, 05:16 PM
User Info
(05-22-2014, 12:30 PM)Shakamoto Wrote: The badger hairs are holding too much water for MW. you need to add water a little at a time to at the start or you will get an airy foam. More product than you would normally use and controlled water. The extra time taken will be worth it.

Indeed! A fairly stiff, almost dry, badger will do wonders with that soap.
Very slow addition of water is the key. Did this tonight and got a great shave.

0 6
 05-22-2014, 08:03 PM
User Info
Best of luck to you!

82 21,056
 05-30-2014, 06:00 AM
User Info
I've always had trouble lathering Mystic Waters.

4 58
 05-30-2014, 06:58 AM
User Info
(05-22-2014, 12:35 PM)Giorgio Wrote: Second you'll need to "work it" for a longer period of time.

This has always been the key for me. I can (and have) lathered this soap with damp, wet, and dripping brushes. In the end, the amount of water and soap turn out the same. But it takes longer to come together into a finished lather than many other soaps.

Worth it, in the end, but if you're used to Proraso, or something like that that lathers very quickly, it can be very frustrating.

Soapmaker hat: I wonder if it has something to do with the lack of coconut oil. Michelle's website says she avoided it for its potential to dry the skin when made into soap. But it also produces copious lather very quickly. Most, if not all other shaving soaps I own contain it. Maybe that's why Mystic is relatively slower to build a lather.

10 1,858
 05-30-2014, 07:38 AM
User Info
Good point Eric. I've been using your Ice Wyrm almost every day since I got it. WOW is all I can say! I'm going to order some different scents when I need more soaps (have quite a few now I need to use)!

21 555
 05-31-2014, 02:19 AM
User Info
(05-22-2014, 12:30 PM)Shakamoto Wrote: The badger hairs are holding too much water for MW. you need to add water a little at a time to at the start or you will get an airy foam. More product than you would normally use and controlled water. The extra time taken will be worth it.

After recently starting to use MW, I agree with this 100%. I think this is where people get the "hard to lather from". I didn't find it hard to lather, in fact it created heaps of lather, it's just quite picky with how much water. It doesn't need quite as much as other soaps.

12 848
 05-31-2014, 02:56 AM
User Info
(05-30-2014, 06:58 AM)Songwind Wrote:
(05-22-2014, 12:35 PM)Giorgio Wrote: Second you'll need to "work it" for a longer period of time.

This has always been the key for me. I can (and have) lathered this soap with damp, wet, and dripping brushes. In the end, the amount of water and soap turn out the same. But it takes longer to come together into a finished lather than many other soaps.

Worth it, in the end, but if you're used to Proraso, or something like that that lathers very quickly, it can be very frustrating.

Soapmaker hat: I wonder if it has something to do with the lack of coconut oil. Michelle's website says she avoided it for its potential to dry the skin when made into soap. But it also produces copious lather very quickly. Most, if not all other shaving soaps I own contain it. Maybe that's why Mystic is relatively slower to build a lather.

I believe the connection between the absence of coconut oil and lathering difficulties has been mentioned somewhere before.
If this is the case, I suppose it's a position of do you add, with the possibility of reducing the post shave feel (which is outstanding), or simply leave alone. MdC has a high proportion of coconut oil which explains the ease of lathering, but I find it far too drying.
That said, there are soaps with a high level of coconut oil, yet still retain superb post shave properties. The latest Wickham soaps from here in the UK, are a fine example of this.

31 5,284
 05-31-2014, 03:04 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
(05-31-2014, 02:56 AM)Optometrist Wrote: If this is the case, I suppose it's a position of do you add, with the possibility of reducing the post shave feel (which is outstanding), or simply leave alone. MdC has a high proportion of coconut oil which explains the ease of lathering, but I find it far too drying.

This is indeed the Q. The end-user version of the Q is - do you persist with MW and put in the extra minute or two to load and lather and get an excellent shave (esp in terms of protection from irritation & post shave feel)? Or do you pick an easier to lather soap? MW lathers very well - it just takes longer than the avg soap.

There are clearly soaps out there that lather quicker *and* perform very well. Having said that almost nothing equals MW for me in terms of protectiveness/post-shave (haven't tried Wickham). But I can certainly understand how many would walk away thinking that MW is too much effort (and not worth it).

17 535
 11-16-2014, 07:53 PM
User Info
I have had no trouble getting great lather with Mystic Waters. I find that with all soaps, hard or soft, a little warm water on the surface of the soap left to soften for about five minutes makes all the difference. An earlier post in this thread suggested this, and yet another suggests using the puck like a shave stick. I'll bet that would work great. Also, Mystic Waters offers their soaps as sticks!
Euro

5 395
 11-16-2014, 10:38 PM
User Info
You need to pick up more product on your brush and for some reason the synth is better at it than the badgers. Use warm water on top of the puck for 5 minutes or so before you shave to soften it up or buy the stick from Michelle so you can load the soap directly on your face and control the amount of product you're using or you can send your water to Celestino and have him build your lather for you. LOL.Biggrin

9 1,203
 11-17-2014, 10:03 AM
User Info
I do the same for great results.I put water on the puck,soak the brush,take a shower then squeeze most of the water out of the brush.I do 5 swirls in both directions[L & R] with the brush on the wet puck.Don't throw the puck water away as this is the best stuff to use if you need a little more water for the lather.Usually in 2 minutes I have a great 3 pass lather.I strickly use silvertips in all various con figurations!

I have very soft water so that also helps!If you have hard water it will take you longer no matter what you use soap,croap or cream......Ernie

20 441
 11-17-2014, 11:22 AM
  • Gago
  • Rio de Janeirto
User Info
(05-22-2014, 09:11 AM)Balj86 Wrote: When I have trouble lathering a puck of soap. I usually use the puck like a shaving stick and then face lather when there's enough soap on my stubble. have you tried that?

I do this also. But after three or four times, i give up and sell then. Biggrin

4 447