05-22-2014, 08:44 AM
User Info
There was a lot of discussion about this brush when it first came out, some good some bad. I want to know what you think I it now that you've used it for a while. Mine always makes a great lather! It does splay but it also requires more effort to do so. However, I don't really need it to splay. I find you can make a great lather with painting strokes and agitating the brush on your face a little. Would it be better I it opened up easier yes but that isn't a big deal for me. My only issue with the brush is the chubby handle. I find that it's a little too big for me. If I were to get rid of it my reason would be the handle. I think I'm gonna keep it though, it's so soft and always lathers well. I can adjust to the handle. I did face lather with paintin strokes and it was great. This is just my opinion and I know some did not like it. I would like to see what the consensus on it know is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 326
 05-22-2014, 04:46 PM
User Info
I have one and still like it as much as I did initially. For some it may take adaptation in their lathering technique, but that would likely also be the case if they were using a CH 2 in Best or Super for the first time. Like it's badger counterparts, the synthetic excels at face lathering with painting strokes. Mine is definitely staying in my rotation.

50 6,049
 05-22-2014, 05:11 PM
User Info
I think you may be right. I love the lathers it makes. I have other synthetics and there is a learning curve. Painting strokes works very well

18 326
 05-22-2014, 08:52 PM
User Info
I'm still loving mine.

32 6,458
 05-23-2014, 03:39 AM
User Info
I cannot find a vendor selling this brush - how did you guys get yours?

0 14
 05-23-2014, 04:51 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
I have hardly used any of my other brushes since getting mine when they first came out. It makes copious quantities of lather in short order from any soap I have used it on. I face lather using circular strokes to build lather and painting strokes to spread it around. No trouble to get it to splay and it give a good face scrubbing while feeling soft on the face. Having big mitts the handle size suits me just fine. For me it is really an excellent brush to face lather with.

Bob

(05-23-2014, 03:39 AM)Jivey Wrote: I cannot find a vendor selling this brush - how did you guys get yours?

I think you have to order direct from Simpsons http://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com/shop/5/index.htm .

Bob

0 1,694
 05-23-2014, 05:09 AM
  • jb74
  • Ireland
User Info
They are currently all out of stock at the Simpsons store.

I like mine a lot. Took a bit of getting used to as I had never used a synthetic before. Just disregard respecting the knot and make it do what you want to do with a little extra force. Good brush, really soft and gentle tips, lathers even the most difficult of soaps.

[Image: 13170589645_28edf86ecb_n.jpg]

0 136
 05-24-2014, 03:28 AM
User Info
(05-23-2014, 04:51 AM)BobH Wrote: I have hardly used any of my other brushes since getting mine when they first came out. It makes copious quantities of lather in short order from any soap I have used it on. I face lather using circular strokes to build lather and painting strokes to spread it around. No trouble to get it to splay and it give a good face scrubbing while feeling soft on the face. Having big mitts the handle size suits me just fine. For me it is really an excellent brush to face lather with.

Bob

(05-23-2014, 03:39 AM)Jivey Wrote: I cannot find a vendor selling this brush - how did you guys get yours?

I think you have to order direct from Simpsons http://www.simpsonshavingbrushes.com/shop/5/index.htm .

Bob

Thanks. I have an Omega synthetic - one of the faux badgers, not the white bristle type. I seldom use it, which is a shame because it's a very beautiful brush, but I just can't get used it...

0 14
 05-24-2014, 05:19 AM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(05-24-2014, 03:28 AM)Jivey Wrote:
(05-23-2014, 04:51 AM)BobH Wrote: I have hardly used any of my other brushes since getting mine when they first came out. It makes copious quantities of lather in short order from any soap I have used it on. I face lather using circular strokes to build lather and painting strokes to spread it around. No trouble to get it to splay and it give a good face scrubbing while feeling soft on the face. Having big mitts the handle size suits me just fine. For me it is really an excellent brush to face lather with.

Bob

Bob

Thanks. I have an Omega synthetic - one of the faux badgers, not the white bristle type. I seldom use it, which is a shame because it's a very beautiful brush, but I just can't get used it...

Appears Simpsons are currently out of synthetic Chubby2s, sorry.

I have the Muhle XL aynthetic and a Muhle synthetic travel brush and like both. That said the Simpsons is a whole different animal in face feel and how to work it properly in face lathering. There seemed to be a lot of people on here who could not get used to the Simpson when it was first released. Regardless of brand synthetics are very different from other natural fiber brushes in how lather should be made using them. Anyway, if you get a Simpson hope it works for you.

Bob

0 1,694
 05-25-2014, 09:44 AM
User Info
I'm glad people are enjoying them. There was a lot d negative comments at first. Ive got the briarwood and it's gorgeous

18 326
 05-25-2014, 10:54 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I purchased mine used. I would love to get another one. Great performing brush. I think the initial reaction was based on unmet expectations. I believe this brush stands on its own and does not need to be a badger equivalent. I would like to know if the Chubby 2 in badger requires a little force to get it to splay. This is a dense knot and I can splay mine with very little effort. Hope Simpson adds other synthetics. The production quality is excellent.

19 566
 05-26-2014, 01:11 PM
User Info
I think those expectations were for a synthetic that "is like a badger". Of course that was an unreasonable expectation.

I suspect that lots if folks who had never used a synthetic also got into the act with the Chubby2 and realized it was "so different". I suppose I just rephrased the above paragraph. Oh well, it's staying. :-)

32 6,458
 07-15-2014, 08:47 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I know this is an older post, but my impressions of the chubby synth is that it is a wonderful brush. I have to press harder to lather like I like to with it but it never disappoints. It makes lather creamy and fluffy and is a pleasure to lather with, but as someone above me said it is hard to hold the larger handle, but that point is minor. I still think the Chubby 2 in Best feels better on the face but for a synthetic this one is superb. It is different than the Muehle V2 Knots, but yet is still the same in the type of lather it makes, and the density makes it paint much better than the Muehle knots. plus the lather on pass two and three are almost the same as lather on pass one which is a plus for me.

But...the price is a LOT more than even a custom Muehle, which for me is harder to swallow. I got my Muehle V2 in a Custom Handle for almost $65 less with shipping than the Chubby Synth from Simpsons. That is 3/4 the cost of another custom brush, which is significant, especially when my wife is looking at everything I spend! Angel

They have great resale value though, so trying one should not be hard. Try then sell if you don't like it. Most people will pay near retail for it so you really have nothing or little to lose. The fact that they are almost never offered on the BST should tell you something of the quality, so there you go. Of course, YMMV, so buyer be forewarned. These are my opinions, and no, I don't have anything to do with Simpsons at all except that I occasionally buy their brushes!

Excelsior!

74 1,503
 07-15-2014, 07:08 PM
User Info
Matt, great to hear you are enjoying the brush!
I wouldn't mind trying one, but would prefer the loft a bit higher.

82 21,076
 07-15-2014, 07:10 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Unfortunately I missed out on the CH2 Synthetic, I'll be sure to secure a CL1 Synthetic when they are released later this year...

99 18,011
 07-15-2014, 09:12 PM
User Info
(07-15-2014, 08:47 AM)Crag Wrote: I know this is an older post, but my impressions of the chubby synth is that it is a wonderful brush. I have to press harder to lather like I like to with it but it never disappoints. It makes lather creamy and fluffy and is a pleasure to lather with, but as someone above me said it is hard to hold the larger handle, but that point is minor. I still think the Chubby 2 in Best feels better on the face but for a synthetic this one is superb. It is different than the Muehle V2 Knots, but yet is still the same in the type of lather it makes, and the density makes it paint much better than the Muehle knots. plus the lather on pass two and three are almost the same as lather on pass one which is a plus for me. <snip>

I love my Simpsons CH2 also, so please don't misunderstand my response.

That's precisely why I suggest they (or any large synthetic) would be great brushes for brush mashers. It will give them the feedback that I think they are looking for and not getting out of their use of badgers and boars.

Me? I love the difference in feel that synthetics give to my shave. The CH2 is an excellent brush.

32 6,458
 07-17-2014, 05:18 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
[Image: EihRidD.png]

They are back in stock!

Traditional cream handle only.

Order placed! Biggrin

99 18,011
 07-17-2014, 06:00 AM
  • TheMonk
  • Super Moderator
  • Porto, Portugal
User Info
(07-17-2014, 05:18 AM)ben74 Wrote: [Image: EihRidD.png]

They are back in stock!

Traditional cream handle only.

Order placed! Biggrin

It may be just the picture, but that loft does look higher than the previous CH2 Synthetics. Please let us know when you receive it, Ben.

26 4,927
 07-17-2014, 06:01 AM
User Info
It's higher by about 3 or 4 mm

I'm debating about selling my old one and getting a new one

18 326
 07-17-2014, 06:02 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(07-17-2014, 06:00 AM)TheMonk Wrote: It may be just the picture, but that loft does look higher than the previous CH2 Synthetics. Please let us know when you receive it, Ben.

It is supposed to be 52mm.

I believe the original coloured rod stock versions were 49mm.

99 18,011