05-22-2014, 10:55 AM
User Info
I currently have an EJ DE89L and i am still trying to get my technique right plus the right blade etc. Love using the DE and shave my face every few days and my head every other day.

Now, i do have to make quite a few passes (4) and a lot of touch ups to get smooth on the head. Would the 37c allow me to do less passes as it is more aggressive than the EJ? Trying different blades still equals the same shave for me.

Anyone gone from a DE89L to a 37c? If so, what are your views?

Thanks

0 20
 05-22-2014, 07:56 PM
User Info
Technique is down?

Buy the slant Biggrin

4 146
 05-23-2014, 12:19 AM
User Info
(05-22-2014, 07:56 PM)Joezamboni Wrote: Technique is down?

Buy the slant Biggrin

Yea, technique is getting there. Still learning with every shave.

0 20
 05-26-2014, 02:33 AM
User Info
I have both. While both are super razors, I get a closer shave with the EJ89. Stick with the EJ a bit longer, you'll be rewarded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 100
 05-26-2014, 03:23 AM
User Info
I learned with the EJ too, but against general advice, went for the Feather blades. The EJ is a very mild razor, the best results being had with the sharper blades. The Feathers are just about the sharpest you can get. For this reason, there is a lot of negativity to learning with them, however, I found that sharpness a benefit in teaching good technique more quickly.

My advice is to continue with the EJ, try a Feather blade if you haven't already done so, and once technique is good, then maybe consider a more aggressive razor if that's the way forward for you. A next step up would be the Merkur 34 or 1904(my favourite). More aggressive than the EJ but less so than the 37.

31 5,293
 05-26-2014, 03:49 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
As with most things wetshaving - fortunately/unfortunately - you must try the slant for yourself to judge. There are too many personal variables around skin type, stubble type, technique etc for a one-fits-all answer here IMO.

In my case - the slant was *much* better and I decided to sell all my non-slants.

17 535
 05-30-2014, 11:00 AM
User Info
Think i will try a 37c

0 20
 05-30-2014, 12:13 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I may get a lot of flack for this, but I have to say it anyway. 37C and every other Merkur DE except for the adjustable ones are all mild. As mild as your EJ. The difference in aggressiveness between all these razors is so small as to be in the noise level. IOW, the differences are purely perceptions of different users on different days with different moods. This is why you will get many differing opinions on which is more aggressive and not much consensus. This is why I lump all these razors into a general mild category. Merkur slants ARE mild, regardless of what you may hear. These things are every bit as mild as your EJ. If you want a more aggressive razor then you go for something like a Cadet OC or Fatip or Muhle R41. Then you will get more aggressive razor. Or else get an adjustable Merkur (Progress is one of my favorite DEs of all time) and try different aggressiveness levels in a controlled fashion. If you are looking to improve your shave, stay with your DE89. It's a fine razor and will deliver once you master it. It is very tempting to change the tool, but realy, even a mild razor can give an outstanding shave with proper technique. If you go for a more aggressive razor you will be fighting with different issues, but you will still be up a learning curve. I say get a Progress and try various levels if you want, but really, keep at it with what you have as it's a good setup and will eventually deliver.

26 1,739
 05-30-2014, 12:48 PM
User Info
Some of my best shaves come from my Feather AS-D2, generally considered a mild razor. I have come to the conclusion that because the safety bar is so prominent and does a really great job of warding off nicks and cuts, the user grows more and more confident and the technique, which is mostly where a BSS shave comes, is developed fully and the results are a closer and more satisfying shave. JMO. Good Luck. (I love my 37cWink)

39 3,919
 05-31-2014, 09:58 AM
User Info
Is the 34c more aggressive than the EJ?

0 20
 05-31-2014, 10:47 AM
User Info
(05-26-2014, 02:33 AM)Kerrplunk Wrote: I have both. While both are super razors, I get a closer shave with the EJ89. Stick with the EJ a bit longer, you'll be rewarded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here...EJ DE89 for the Dome

8 159
 05-31-2014, 10:52 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(05-31-2014, 09:58 AM)acer1986 Wrote: Is the 34c more aggressive than the EJ?

I don't think so. The two are so close that any differences can be chalked up to personal perception. Same goes for all non-adjustable Merkur safety bar DEs and their OC head is even milder than that. Basically, Merkur has 3 non-adjustable heads: OC - super mild, SB - mild, slant - mild. EJ makes only one head and it's approximately in the ballpark of the Merkur SB in aggressiveness.

26 1,739
 05-31-2014, 10:54 AM
  • Lb1
  • United Kingdom
User Info
(05-31-2014, 09:58 AM)acer1986 Wrote: Is the 34c more aggressive than the EJ?

I had both and thought they were very similar. I did make the mistake of thinking that as I wasn't getting as close a shave as I would like I needed an aggressive razor so bought an R41. A few goes with that proved how wrong I was.
You'll no doubt try a lot of razors on your 'journey' but it really does come down to technique and prep. I now use a Feather AS D2 exclusively and most seem to regard that as a very mild razor which it is. It's also extremely efficient which for me is the perfect blend.

0 105
 05-31-2014, 11:07 PM
User Info
So, do you guys think a 37c would be a better choice? Looking for a more aggressive razor for my head as at the moment i have to do approx 4 passes and quite a bit of touching up. Tried several blades too. I have a lot to learn but my technique is getting there.

In a quandary as i want a closer shave with less passes etc.

0 20
 06-03-2014, 08:34 AM
User Info
(05-31-2014, 11:07 PM)acer1986 Wrote: So, do you guys think a 37c would be a better choice? Looking for a more aggressive razor for my head as at the moment i have to do approx 4 passes and quite a bit of touching up. Tried several blades too. I have a lot to learn but my technique is getting there.

In a quandary as i want a closer shave with less passes etc.

I'm not a head-shaver, and I couldn't imagine trying to shave my head with a slant (save for maybe the RR Stealth). But for face shaving, I think slants are great razors. As always, YMMV, but when folks say, "slants are aggressive in general" I would have to wholeheartedly disagree. Every slant I've had has been very efficient, but very smooth at the same time. Meaning: they mow the hair down with less effort, but won't tear up your face. I will say that slants reward better technique, but require no "special" method - just shave the way you would with a SB razor, but take it slow, and be mindful. The only one who can decide what works best is the user, and each one is different. But I would say that everyone should at least give a slant a fair shake. Some will love it, some will hate it, and some could care less either way - I fall into the "love it" camp.

6 61
 10-18-2014, 12:44 AM
  • dimitrof
  • Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
User Info
I would say the 37C can shave more efficiently, at least for me, than the EJ89. I don't have to make as many passes with the slant bar as I do with the EJ. Just my 2 cents!

5 57