05-22-2014, 11:30 AM
User Info
I have two X450 (Jinhao) fountain pens. My wife has one.

This past weekend I was writing "rainbow letters" where I change pens and ink color throughout the letter. Both of my x450s were acting up.

Skipping and ink flow stopping completely.

My wife was sitting nearby and watched me struggle. She said she stopped inking her x450 because it acted the same way. I removed the converters and flushed the nibs. After completely drying I re-assembled but they still were futzy.

Once back home from camp I cleaned both well and changed the ink but still skips and stoppage.

I use my pens quite often. I keep 7 in rotation. The "rainbow letters" assure all get a good work out and that none dry out.

I am puzzled by our 3 pens acting up or "failing" all at the same time. They were purchased in the spring of 2013 and have been good pens.

Any input, thoughts or tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Phil

7 363
 05-22-2014, 01:52 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Hmm, I'm not sure, Phil. As you know, many Chinese pens can be hit or miss but usually things go wrong right away. I'm not sure what's up with yours. If you have any extra converters, try replacing the original converter with a new one to see if that might help. Other than that, I have no idea.

2 11,211
 06-03-2014, 10:28 AM
User Info
(05-22-2014, 01:52 PM)freddy Wrote: Hmm, I'm not sure, Phil. As you know, many Chinese pens can be hit or miss but usually things go wrong right away. I'm not sure what's up with yours. If you have any extra converters, try replacing the original converter with a new one to see if that might help. Other than that, I have no idea.

Freddy,
Thanks for the suggestion. I was about to use a cartridge to test your idea but tried a different apprach that seems to have worked.

ML and I both noticed the X450s were hard to get clean. We flushed water through the feed with an ear syringr until the water ran clear. Pick up the pen tip in 5 minutes and flush again and you get colored water again.

I put the nib assembly in a glass of water after cleaning with an ear syringe. After an hours soak you could see a dark cloud of ink diffusing out of the pen. I changed the water every time I went into the kitchen. After a full 24 hours the ink cloud was still appearing.

I made a dilute solution of dish soap in water. I repeated the above. After two cycles ink no longer appeared. Just to be sure I left it in the weak soap solution for 24 hours.

I then rinsed thoroughly with plain water and then allowed to dry.

Yesterday I assembled and inked one of the X450s. Writes as good as new. I will keep an eye on it and report additional findings.

Phil

7 363
 06-03-2014, 11:10 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Thanks for the follow-up, Phil. Yes, sometimes pens can be quite stubborn about releasing old ink. I'm glad this worked for you. I use the ear syringe trick, too, and find it a big help.

2 11,211
 06-03-2014, 11:50 AM
User Info
What ink was in the pen? Could it perhaps be an issue with a quality of the ink?

Glad you got it working better again.

31 8,057
 06-03-2014, 05:26 PM
User Info
(06-03-2014, 11:50 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: What ink was in the pen? Could it perhaps be an issue with a quality of the ink?

Glad you got it working better again.

Brian,
This happened in all 3 of our X450 regardless of ink. I too originally thought it was an ink issue and swapped out inks repeatedly to no avail.

It is possible a cheap ink clogged one of mine originally and subsequent ink changes had no positive effect. ML prefers good stuff in hers and it clogged as well.

Where ever the "clog" was it took a long time to dissolve. The diffusion of the ink into the clean water reminded me of an octopus squirting ink.Smile

Phil

7 363
 06-08-2014, 03:58 PM
User Info
I have found that some pens clog up no matter what ink is used. I wonder if it could be caused by the design of the pen feed????

1 346