05-23-2014, 03:42 PM
User Info
Does anyone else here choose synthetic brushes and tallow free soap to avoid causing the suffering of animals for our ability to enjoy a shave?

0 55
 05-23-2014, 03:59 PM
User Info
I don't , personally , but I respect the idea.
The synthetic brushes and tallow free soaps that I keep are kept because they are quality products that stand on there own merit without additional consideration.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

6 1,224
 05-23-2014, 04:02 PM
User Info
(05-23-2014, 03:59 PM)Nickadermis Wrote: I don't , personally , but I respect the idea.
The synthetic brushes and tallow free soaps that I keep are kept because they are quality products that stand on there own merit without additional consideration.

Right now I'm using some tallow free soaps from praerie creations and I think they lather incredibly and the difference between the shave I get with them vs. williams is amazing, I wouldn't use it if I didn't believe in it but there's something about knowing that an animal wasn't killed just for its hair it probably bothers me more with the badger brushes than the tallow soaps but I chose to stick to non-tallow soaps for the same basic reasons.

0 55
 05-23-2014, 04:10 PM
User Info
I've often heard good things about PC soaps. I really like TFS soaps which are also Veggie soaps.

There are some quality humane products these days due to market demands from folks just like you. And I for one am glad to have the broader scope a products available!

6 1,224
 05-23-2014, 04:11 PM
User Info
who is TFS I'm still kind of new to this, I don't feel too narrowed down on though I'm a fairly habitual person

0 55
 05-23-2014, 04:19 PM
  • tdmsu
  • Banned
  • Metro Detroit
User Info
I think TFS is TCheon Fung Sing... An Italian soap with an Asian name for some reason.
Other excellent vegan soaps include Synergy soap from How To Grow A Moustache (HTGAM), and LA Shaving Soap (LASS)

2 447
 05-23-2014, 04:21 PM
User Info
Interesting, i'll have to add those to my list of things to try. For some reason TFS being Italian reminds me of this joke about a band called Hi-Standard in a cd liner in the 90's the album was survival of the fattest and they called them three japanese guys who like to dress like three japanese girls.

0 55
 05-23-2014, 04:35 PM
User Info
I agree. I use a Muhle Black Fibre brush as part of my rotation because it's awesome. I also recently acquired a vegetarian soap from Dapper Dragon. It lathers something incredible and is very comfortable.

I don't think you'll be missing out on much using synthetic brushes and vegi soaps! Plenty to choose from.

21 555
 05-23-2014, 04:35 PM
User Info
(05-23-2014, 04:21 PM)lantech19446 Wrote: Interesting, i'll have to add those to my list of things to try. For some reason TFS being Italian reminds me of this joke about a band called Hi-Standard in a cd liner in the 90's the album was survival of the fattest and they called them three japanese guys who like to dress like three japanese girls.

Smile yes TFS is the Asian heritage Italian company! Good stuff for me..

6 1,224
 05-23-2014, 04:41 PM
User Info
(05-23-2014, 04:35 PM)BriDroid Wrote: I agree. I use a Muhle Black Fibre brush as part of my rotation because it's awesome. I also recently acquired a vegetarian soap from Dapper Dragon. It lathers something incredible and is very comfortable.

I don't think you'll be missing out on much using synthetic brushes and vegi soaps! Plenty to choose from.

Thanks Bri, I keep hearing that name dapper dragon I didn't realize they were vegetarian might have to look into them too.

0 55
 05-23-2014, 04:47 PM
User Info
Just remember that just because a soap doesn't have tallow doesn't mean it's vegetarian or vegan. For instance stearic acid can be derived from many sources but it often is derived from animal fats.

Also keep in mind that horsehair brushes are humane. They only have to give the horse a haircut.

- Josh -

84 1,505
 05-23-2014, 04:51 PM
User Info
I would imagine they're using tail hair or mane hair from the horse both of which are fairly course I doubt that I would enjoy it but if I had to go with an animal hair brush it is likely that it would be the only kind I would use. You are also 100% correct about stearic acid which is why a lot of car and bike tires are not vegan also. I do try when I can too use completely vegetarian soap, it isn't always possible to know because not everyone releases that information but I know instantly that it's not vegetarian or vegan if it isn't tallow free.

0 55
 05-23-2014, 05:09 PM
User Info
Animals are not being killed to provide tallow for your shave soap. Animals are bring killed for food. If the tallow is not extracted and made into shave soap or bath soap, it is discarded and wasted.

IMO, if anything, it is MORE humane to utilize the tallow than not to; if an animal is to be killed, the least we can do is make the best use of it we can.

I respect the opinion of those who feel otherwise. If I felt that way, I would also make sure I didn't have leather shoes or leather belts, etc.

2 1,390
 05-23-2014, 06:00 PM
User Info
I completely forgot to say in my previous post that I utterly respect everyone who has made the decision to go vegetarian or vegan. Also I think that if you really wanted to know whether the products you use have vegan-friendly ingredients you could always reach out to any of the aristan soap makers such as Krissy of Prairie Crewtions, Will of Barrister & Mann or Jim of Wet Shave Obsession. In reading their posts they really seem to take care in selecting their ingredients.

84 1,505
 05-23-2014, 06:04 PM
User Info
(05-23-2014, 05:09 PM)kingfisher Wrote: Animals are not being killed to provide tallow for your shave soap. Animals are bring killed for food. If the tallow is not extracted and made into shave soap or bath soap, it is discarded and wasted.

IMO, if anything, it is MORE humane to utilize the tallow than not to; if an animal is to be killed, the least we can do is make the best use of it we can.

I respect the opinion of those who feel otherwise. If I felt that way, I would also make sure I didn't have leather shoes or leather belts, etc.
+1000000

0 163
 05-23-2014, 06:40 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
(05-23-2014, 05:09 PM)kingfisher Wrote: Animals are not being killed to provide tallow for your shave soap. Animals are bring killed for food. If the tallow is not extracted and made into shave soap or bath soap, it is discarded and wasted.

My view too.

Bob

0 1,694
 05-23-2014, 08:17 PM
User Info
Not me

3 254
 05-23-2014, 08:27 PM
User Info
Kingfisher said it well. It also confuses me when people are willing to hurt and even kill other people to protect an animal. However much I don't want to see an animal hurt, I also would never put the life of an animal ahead of the life of another person. Any animals that are killed should be put to use with as little waste as possible.

31 8,055
 05-23-2014, 08:52 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I was going to answer fast, but last 3-4 posts covered it all! Animals get killed for food, should you not use parts that are going to waste for soaps and brushes? I believe that you must.

88 4,233
 05-23-2014, 09:53 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
If you're boycotting tallow, I would expect you are also boycotting all leather products, such as shoes.

As has been mentioned previously, tallow and leather are by-products of the beef industry, and boycotting these peripheral products will have negligible impact on the beef industry. In contrast, if animals were being raised and slaughtered primarily for their fat, I would be in complete agreement with you.

Palm oil isn't such an innocent product, itself, as tropical forests are being destroyed on a large scale to plant oil palms, resulting in loss of habitat and the means of survival for wildlife such as orangutans and many other creatures. It's possible to get wildlife-friendly palm oil, but you have to look for it.

I'm pretty sure that stearic acid can also be obtained from vegetable sources. As such, I think it is still possible to get a quality vegan soap. I would just want to be sure of the source of the palm oil.

- Murray

4 1,150