05-13-2012, 10:20 AM
User Info
With a little help from a friend, some time ago, I came across a vintage puck of Colgate's Cup Soap for Shaving! Here's some photos:

The package is a little beaten up, but in an overall good shape...

[Image: P1040699.jpg]

[Image: P1040700.jpg]

[Image: P1040701.jpg]

[Image: P1040702.jpg]

.. the puck itself has some words and a logo printed on it, perfectly legible...
[Image: P1040703.jpg]

[Image: P1040704.jpg]

... the most curious thing is a small paper with instructions that lay on the inside. Besides the instructions, it shows a nice picture of a gentleman using a straight razor (who uses those things nowadays? sheeesh! Biggrin)
[Image: P1040706.jpg]

[Image: P1040705.jpg]

Hope you like this photos! Cool

2 5,532
 05-13-2012, 11:21 AM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
Thanks for sharing Emmanual! Love the instructions

This is actually very good soap. Comparably with vintage williams. The "Mug Soap" is to avoided at any price, however.

9 541
 05-13-2012, 11:38 AM
  • Theido
  • Shave Stick Proponent
  • Colorado
User Info
(05-13-2012, 11:21 AM)GreekGuy Wrote: Thanks for sharing Emmanual! Love the instructions

This is actually very good soap. Comparably with vintage williams. The "Mug Soap" is to avoided at any price, however.

What is the difference between normal Williams and "Mug Soap" Williams? Is it just some writing on the box that denotes that it's the newer version of Williams?

As for the Colgate please let us know how it is. I have seen it on the Bay a few times and wanted to try it provided there are some good reviews for it.

1 111
 05-13-2012, 11:48 AM
User Info
(05-13-2012, 11:38 AM)Theido Wrote:
(05-13-2012, 11:21 AM)GreekGuy Wrote: Thanks for sharing Emmanual! Love the instructions

What is the difference between normal Williams and "Mug Soap" Williams? Is it just some writing on the box that denotes that it's the newer version of Williams?

As for the Colgate please let us know how it is. I have seen it on the Bay a few times and wanted to try it provided there are some good reviews for it.

The last Williams reformulation was in 2000, and I believe there was one around 1989. It has been a while since I saw the actual dates, but there is a noticable difference in the product when sampled before and after reformulation. Don't be turned off by modern Williams. It will produce copious amounts of lather. The problem is it's a water hog and takes a little extra effort.

0 41
 05-13-2012, 12:42 PM
User Info
Emanuel,
Obrigado pelo as photos!
Thanks for the pic, my friend!

75 20,883
 05-13-2012, 02:10 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Great photos, will you use it?

91 17,857
 05-13-2012, 02:12 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Mr. Guy sent some Colgate Cup soap to me last summer. It really is a nice soap. I may have to reach for it for tomorrow's "Mourning" shave.

45 16,352
 05-13-2012, 02:23 PM
User Info
(05-13-2012, 11:48 AM)CharlieFoxtrot Wrote: The last Williams reformulation was in 2000, and I believe there was one around 1989. It has been a while since I saw the actual dates, but there is a noticable difference in the product when sampled before and after reformulation. Don't be turned off by modern Williams. It will produce copious amounts of lather. The problem is it's a water hog and takes a little extra effort.

This is how I have solved virtually every lathering problem (including current Williams). I have an electric kettle that I use to boil water. The white bowl in the picture has boiling hot water in both the outer jacket and in the inner bowl. I put a little bit of the boiling water in the soap (green cup), dip my brush in the white bowl, and by the time I have lathered there is great lather and it is not too hot to apply to my face. For my second and third pass, I dip the brush maybe a quarter of the way in the white bowl, swirl around in my lather, and apply to my face. The lather is nice and warm. (I don't dip it in all the way or else it would be too hot.)

That enables me to use any kind of shaving soap with great results.

0 282
 05-13-2012, 02:47 PM
User Info
Excellent pictures Emanuel. Thanks for sharing. I haven't tried Colgate but I have used Old Spice (thanks also to Andy aka MrGuy). The vintage soaps that used to be do easy to get were high quality. It's a shame we can't get these easily and/or they've been reformulated poorly.

31 7,914
 05-13-2012, 03:27 PM
User Info
nice photos, Emanuel. also notice that the instructions suggest face lathering! Tongue

40 5,830
 05-13-2012, 08:36 PM
User Info
(05-13-2012, 02:23 PM)CaliforniaCajun Wrote:
(05-13-2012, 11:48 AM)CharlieFoxtrot Wrote: The last Williams reformulation was in 2000, and I believe there was one around 1989. It has been a while since I saw the actual dates, but there is a noticable difference in the product when sampled before and after reformulation. Don't be turned off by modern Williams. It will produce copious amounts of lather. The problem is it's a water hog and takes a little extra effort.

This is how I have solved virtually every lathering problem (including current Williams). I have an electric kettle that I use to boil water. The white bowl in the picture has boiling hot water in both the outer jacket and in the inner bowl. I put a little bit of the boiling water in the soap (green cup), dip my brush in the white bowl, and by the time I have lathered there is great lather and it is not too hot to apply to my face. For my second and third pass, I dip the brush maybe a quarter of the way in the white bowl, swirl around in my lather, and apply to my face. The lather is nice and warm. (I don't dip it in all the way or else it would be too hot.)

That enables me to use any kind of shaving soap with great results.

John, that is a great warming pitcher you have. i have the same one!

75 20,883
 05-13-2012, 09:07 PM
User Info
When I started shaving in the 1950's, Williams and Colgate seemed to be the only shaving soap around at the time.

I'd drop a puck in an old coffee mug, and using a Fuller Brush Co. boar bristle brush, build lather right in the mug.

As I recall, both products lathered up just fine. Smile

0 1,377
 05-14-2012, 02:51 AM
User Info
I was impressed with the performance of Colgate cup soap, it lathers beautifully and provides excellent skin care. I also bought the Colgate mug soap, that GreekGuy refers to, and agree that it is not as good as the cup soap and I would not buy it again. If anyone wants to try Colgate I would recommend making sure the box says cup not mug, ebay always seems to have lots of Colgate mug soap.

0 59
 05-14-2012, 12:01 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Thanks for sharing those great photos, Emanuel.

2 11,211
 05-14-2012, 10:03 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Great pics and I love the shaving soap instructions.
I haven't tried any of those Colgate's or Vintage Williams shaving soaps but the current formulation one (Williams) with regular results.

86 7,123