05-24-2014, 03:27 PM
User Info
My Merkur Futur is arriving next week. Any tips to making our first shave a great one?

3 84
 05-24-2014, 03:39 PM
User Info
Start at 1 for adjustment and understand the best angle to work on. Only when you are confortable with that try the other setting. When you master it you will get very close and nice suaves.

1 202
 05-24-2014, 04:16 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Be careful adjusting the razor with wet hands and the blade loaded...place the head downward on a towel and twist the handle. Do not hold the head and adjust or you will slice your thumb.Trust me...I know this from experienceSadSadSad

6 2,022
 05-24-2014, 04:23 PM
User Info
Also after loading the blade check if it is well anigned with the head.

1 202
 05-25-2014, 05:55 AM
User Info
I'm hoping all goes well I have shaved with the 2013 R41 and while it didn't bite me. I was a little to aggressive to use on a daily basis. Looking forward to having the adjustable feature and the heavier weight so that zero pressure is needed.

3 84
 05-26-2014, 12:00 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Just for the record it is not the aggresivness of the razor but in the handling of the razor...loading,unloading and adjusting are the "dangers"...practice without a blade for a bit and especially be aware of thumb placement when adjusting the settings if wet.

6 2,022
 05-26-2014, 02:37 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I'd start with the adjustment mid way. Then you can dial up or down from there depending on taste. If you start at the lowest setting you'll most likely end up with an extra pass and not as good an indication as to how the razor will perform for you.

As for loading/unloading and adjustment (as with the majority of razors) a degree of caution is recommended. Depending on the finish you chose, the razor can be slippery (especially when lather is added to the equation). Be sure to handle the top cap by the sides that cover the ends of the blade. As stated above, adjusting and the subsequent increased blade exposure can definitely draw blood if you fingers slide to the blade edges of the top cap. Also make sure the top cap clicks into place, otherwise the blade will be skewed, you'll have uneven blade exposure and you likely see red.

All said and done, I cut myself only once (loading) and quickly learnt from there. I usually always have it set permanent halfway (for the entire shave) and achieve a very good shave with my preferred 2 passes. Its a great DE (I own 2).

[Image: xrKNwOH.png]

99 18,011
 05-27-2014, 07:26 AM
User Info
Wink First Shave very happy thanks to all who responded

3 84
 05-27-2014, 06:31 PM
User Info
Congratulations on the first shave! Smile

82 21,077