05-13-2012, 11:09 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info

This afternoon I found myself restoring a 5/8 W. H. Morley & Sons straight razor and listening to Beethoven string quartets. Never did I ever think I would do that someday. I don't mean listen to Beethoven string quartets; I listen to chamber music often. That is, never did I think I would listen to Beethoven string quartets while restoring a straight razor.

That made me reflect on things I never thought I would ever do in relation to traditional shaving. Never did I ever think I would . . .

Anticipate the morning shave as if waiting for my bestseller to hit the bookshelves.

Blank out the world around me for the hour or so every morning spent in the shave den.

Take heart in the straight razors, double edge razors, shave brushes, shave soap and creams, aftershave lotions and other traditional shaving paraphernalia in the shave den as if beholding a treasure.

Slap my face with a fragrant aftershave lotion and declare, "Oh, yes!"

Float through flea markets as if looking for the eternal light.

Spend a fortune on straight and double edge razors.

Lose a fortune selling some of them.

And, yes, restore a razor while listening to Beethoven string quartets.

And you, gentlemen? What are some of the things you never thought you would do in relation to traditional shaving?

Thanks and stay well,

132 2,614
 05-13-2012, 11:35 AM
User Info
I never thought I would use traditional shaving equipment at all.

As a poor college student, I often noticed that double edged blades were significantly less expensive than cartridges. That provided something of an interest to learn more, but no sources of information were readily available. The World Wide Web was just being developed and Internet access was both costly and unavailable in most areas. There were not any books like Leisureguy's Guide to Gourmet Shaving, at least not that I ever saw. Even after the web and wetshaving forums were well established, it was purely by chance that I found them four years ago and saw the light.

0 303
 05-13-2012, 11:55 AM
User Info
- post shave videos.

- walk in to my shave den and pick up random soaps/creams and smell them.

- test lather products for the fun of it

- talk my 2 small boys into wet shaving (5&7)

- spend $60 on a soap (MdC)

- spend $150 on a brush

- have boxes labelled "cosmetics" show up at my door and be for me, not my wife

- be on a multiple shaving forums, let alone one

- know what a PIF is

- wet shave (thought i was electric shaver for life)

- sell used shave products (buy too)

- go to flea markets and vintage stores to look for something other then turntables and vinyl

8 2,718
 05-13-2012, 12:35 PM
User Info
Take this much time getting ready in the morning. Until getting hooked on traditional shaving I was pretty minimalistic. Now just look at my Nook-dom and you'll see it's definitely not minimal! Blush

31 7,892
 05-13-2012, 02:07 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Never thought I'd develop a passion for shaving and then share that passion through a forum on the internet!

91 17,612
 05-13-2012, 03:06 PM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I never figured the younger generation would wise up to my way of thanking/shaving. Thank goodness I was wrong.

The way I lived in the 60's I never thought I would be here typing this in 2012.

It never crossed my mind that someday I would be setting here discussing this with guys from Europe, Asia, and Australia, much less someone from Glendale, WI.

173 23,290
 05-13-2012, 03:57 PM
User Info
Faceurbation!! Can't stop feeling my face most of the day, so silky smooth!!

74 20,792
 05-13-2012, 06:23 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
> Spend considerably more time getting ready than my wife

> Enjoying every shave

> Have no razor burn

45 3,955
 05-14-2012, 05:00 AM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
Join a forum. Never saw the point before ...

... never thought there'd be one where people were civilised to one another ...

... it's a nice addition to each day.

1 290
 05-14-2012, 05:18 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
...pay hundreds of dollars for a vintsge DE or a modern shaving brush. Rolleyes

35 2,703
 05-14-2012, 04:42 PM
User Info
Like many of us, I initially returned to wet shaving to save a little money using my old Gillette Tech razor and DE blades.

I never thought I'd be spending big bucks on all kinds of shaving gear, and writing about it on several shaving forums! Smile

0 1,377
 05-15-2012, 05:48 PM
  • wlmcad
  • Memphis, TN
User Info
After reading through the messages in this thread there is not a lot that I could add but here goes.

Never thought I would go to yard sales, estate sales, or eBay looking for shaving brushes and old Gillette razors.

Never thought about restoring anything other than old furniture before. Now I want to restore the 2 old brushes I have and I'm actively looking for new restoration candidates.

Never heard of SBAD, SSAD, SCAD, RAD, JISBAD, or many of the other acronyms tossed around this and other forums so freely.

Never heard of Semogue, Rudy Vey, Rod Neep, Simpsons, Vulfix, Plisson or etsy.com...

Never thought I would make out a gift list and the only thing on it is wet shaving gear...

Never thought I would enjoy shaving before.

0 539
 05-17-2012, 06:19 AM
  • RedRocks
  • Four-Corners, USA
User Info
(05-13-2012, 03:57 PM)celestino Wrote: Faceurbation!! Can't stop feeling my face most of the day, so silky smooth!!

Whew! Glad I'm not the only one!

Growing up in the 60's one of my favorite songs was Beach Boys 'When I Grow Up To Be A Man'. Well here I am! I really didn't think I would make it this far. Glad I did!

18 271
 05-18-2012, 08:52 AM
User Info
Never thought I'd spend over $20 on anything shaving-related.

...............................then I discovered the shaving forums, and the rest is history! Biggrin

37 1,731
 05-18-2012, 10:05 AM
User Info
(05-18-2012, 08:52 AM)yohannrjm Wrote: Never thought I'd spend over $20 on anything shaving-related.

...............................then I discovered the shaving forums, and the rest is history! Biggrin

Before I went back to using a brush and soap, and a DE, I was spending about $12 every 3 months for a can of Barbasol shave gel and a 12 pack of Gillette Custom Plus Razors. I'ed also purchase a bottle of Afta at the same time. Not bad for $12 and the shave was acceptable.

6 617
 05-18-2012, 10:23 AM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
I mirror alot of those above. First for me, I guess I never thought I would ENJOY shaving. Second, joining a forum (any forum) and especially one about shaving. Also, never thought I'd spend so much money on a task that in the past, seemed so mundane.

0 353
 05-22-2012, 09:21 PM
  • uncledave
  • Returned to DE Shaving After 40 years
  • Kentucky, USA
User Info
I too am shocked that I now look forward to shaving each day. I have always detested it in the past. Since I'm older and white haired now I can get away with fewer shaves as my white beard doesn't show at a distance until it gets out pretty long. Now I shave each and every day and love the feeling it gives me. Whoda thunk it?

0 396
 06-01-2012, 08:26 PM
  • Notary
  • Montreal, Quebec
User Info
Gentleman excellent article and it got me thinking. Here is a list of things I never thought I would do:

1. I never thought I would buy equal or greater amounts of lavender and rose scented creams than my wife;

2. I never thought I would spend 200,00$ on a vintage - mint gillette fatboy razor;

3. I never thought I would be spending half an hour a day, if not more, to groom and shave myself;

4. I never thought I would collecting those vintage razors, some over 80 years old, and actually using them;

5. I can't believe I bought a bathroom curio for all my goodies;

6. I never thought I would make such an effort to be informed about all the shaving techniques and products out there;

7. I can't believe that I am still as eager about all of this, as I was 4 months ago when I started.

And the fact that I am writing on the Shave Nook is the best evidence about how strongly I feel about DE shaving. I believe that the last two things I felt more charged about were: cars and women, namely the care I took of my first sports-car and the care I take of my wife. Once again, great article and Happy Shaving. Sam.

0 108
 06-03-2012, 02:19 PM
User Info
I read these posts and I can find just a few that I couldn't/wouldn't have written. I have a ---- eatin' grin on my face as I read the others.

There's no need for me to duplicate what you've all written. Except to write, dittos to 95% of what already has been written.

The exceptions, I have nothing to do with str8s, I don't much care for floral, don't remember anything else I couldn't have written as I faceturbate from the mornings fantastic shave that I was already thinking about last night. Wink

32 6,301
 06-03-2012, 06:22 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(05-13-2012, 03:57 PM)celestino Wrote: Faceurbation!! Can't stop feeling my face most of the day, so silky smooth!!

ok... who's going to help pull this french fry out my nose after reading this!

9 1,684