05-24-2014, 11:18 PM
#1
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
My wife left me home alone for the day with a list of honey-dos. I managed to get the tasks done with time to spare so headed to the garage for a little fooling around. I have a box full of old brushes that need a new life so I grabbed a few that have been calling my name for some time.

[Image: E0eBP6X.jpg]

First up was the barber brush, I have had an idea for this brush for awhile and involves a too tall lofted Omega.

[Image: mcolpal.jpg]

It may or may not be obvious what I decided to do, but here are the results:

[Image: x0ZDnWu.jpg][Image: hC9ltaH.jpg][Image: M0VRqfC.jpg]

The Bartell #3 ended up measuring 28x57mm utilizing the Omega blonde knot. The Omega handle received a 28mm TGN Finest measuring 32x51mm. Both are set pretty low, but I used hot glue as filler for both handles and to set the knots so they can be removed and readjusted if necessary.

The first project went so quick and smooth I started in on the others. I didn't have any premeditated plans for these handles so just let the knots and handles match themselves up. Unfortunately the Simpson AS3M was picky and demanded a sacrifice.

[Image: VT0prxY.jpg][Image: oK602ky.jpg][Image: qlxBNyz.jpg][Image: aZEIzgK.jpg][Image: AhUayr5.jpg]

I split the WSP Monarch handle using my vice to remove the HMW knot. I just bought this brush from Teiste and thoroughly enjoyed the knot. However, I felt the loft was too tall and the Kent style handle didn't jive with me. I had to drill the AS3M a bit deeper using a forstner bit in order to reach the desired loft. It ended up at 23x50mm.

The Kent KSL was in pretty sad shape with some cracks all around the top. After removing the original knot I cleaned up the interior of the bore and used a brush and some epoxy to reinforce the walls. I forced some epoxy into the cracks from the inside and then wiped any excess off the exterior with a rag and rubbing alcohol (before it cured). A quick trip to the buffing wheel brought some shine back and then I inserted a Frank Shaving silvertip knot with a final measurement of 24x48mm.

I got tired out before getting to the final handle so back in the box it went for the next time. Meanwhile, I think I will have some great shaves with my new, old brushes.

149 2,822
Reply
 05-25-2014, 03:47 AM
#2
  • Coyote
  • Senior Member
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
They all look great! I would say it was a productive day!!

4 2,825
Reply
 05-25-2014, 04:01 AM
#3
User Info
Fantastic job on all the brushes!

32 1,749
Reply
 05-25-2014, 04:11 AM
#4
User Info
Those old brushes cleaned up nicely. Good work!

6 84
Reply
 05-25-2014, 04:51 AM
#5
User Info
Great job. And I agree with the WSP HMW. I love the knot, don't care for the handle. I was actually going to sell it but you gave me inspiration. I will make a new handle for mine.

31 1,800
Reply
 05-25-2014, 05:29 AM
#6
User Info
Good work Dave! Enjoy! Cool

1 2,827
Reply
 05-25-2014, 05:39 AM
#7
User Info
Nice job on those.

0 85
Reply
 05-25-2014, 07:20 AM
#8
User Info
Great job, Dave! Smile

83 21,115
Reply
Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)