05-25-2014, 08:31 AM
User Info
General question: How much water (if any) do you leave in the scuttle/bowl/mug/dish etc after a shave?

Is it a little? Whatever is left over? some? None? I seen what's was apparently a bowl 1/2 filled with water for months. I have heard of complete drying. Where in the spectrum do you fall?

0 135
 05-25-2014, 09:32 AM
User Info
I rotate four scuttles and see no reason to leave water in any of them. I pour out all of the inner and outer water when I am done shaving each morning.

206 12,189
 05-25-2014, 09:36 AM
User Info
I rotate 3 mugs and never leave water in any of them after shaving.

1 202
 05-25-2014, 09:40 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
I never leave water. I clean the scuttle once a month or so by dissolving a denture tablet inside the scuttle. Works well kills anything growing in there and leave it smelling fresh

68 1,047
 05-25-2014, 03:36 PM
User Info
I always rinse my scuttle thoroughly then store it empty. I can't imagine why you would want to leave water in it.

24 227
 05-25-2014, 05:26 PM
User Info
Ohhhh good idea!

(05-25-2014, 09:40 AM)Barrylu Wrote: I never leave water. I clean the scuttle once a month or so by dissolving a denture tablet inside the scuttle. Works well kills anything growing in there and leave it smelling fresh

Thank you gentlemen! I can't imagine leaving water in one is a good idea....

0 135
 05-28-2014, 04:35 PM
User Info
I have a dozen or so scuttles and empty/dry after each use. I cannot think of a reason to leave water in the bowl. I always fill with fresh hot water for each shave. Hope this helps.

21 751
 05-28-2014, 09:35 PM
User Info
As mentioned by several others, I also empty and dry after each use....

10 399
 05-29-2014, 05:33 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Given what can breed in stagnant water, I empty any vessels, wash them clean and leave them to dry before using them again.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

2 286
 05-29-2014, 07:21 AM
User Info
(05-25-2014, 08:31 AM)KLovgren Wrote: General question: How much water (if any) do you leave in the scuttle/bowl/mug/dish etc after a shave?

Is it a little? Whatever is left over? some? None? I seen what's was apparently a bowl 1/2 filled with water for months. I have heard of complete drying. Where in the spectrum do you fall?

Like everyone else on this thread, I rinse, empty, and air dry my shave pottery (scuttle or bowl) every time. I don't go so far as to dry it w/ a dish cloth or anything, because the little bit held in by surface tension when I dump it evaporates quickly.

Did the person who left theirs full of water give a rationale?

10 1,858
 05-29-2014, 01:18 PM
User Info
I'm with the majority here. i can think of no good and logical reason why anyone would want to leave water in the scuttle or shaving mug.
A scuttle's purpose if to create warm lather, which requires the introduction of warm/hot water into the reservoir. This can't be done if water is left in there.
I don't see any reason to leave water in the bowl area where you would create your lather as that would complicate the process even further as to how you would manage the excess water?
Finally ~ I see no reason to leave water in a mug that contains soap that you lather directly from as that would cause the soap to "melt" (lack of better word).

The only thing that I could think of is if you lived in an extremely dry climate and might leave a little bit of water over the soap puck to prevent the soap from drying out. But we're talking about living in the Sahara or something along those lines.

1 71
 05-29-2014, 01:31 PM
User Info
I never leave water in a scuttle.

4 58
 06-03-2014, 10:27 AM
User Info
Nope no idea why....we refinished a bowl that had to have had water in it up to an actual water line. Then found a marine varnish to protect the bowl under those conditions, just in case I didn't understand the usual practice.

(05-29-2014, 07:21 AM)Songwind Wrote:
(05-25-2014, 08:31 AM)KLovgren Wrote: General question: How much water (if any) do you leave in the scuttle/bowl/mug/dish etc after a shave?

Like everyone else on this thread, I rinse, empty, and air dry my shave pottery (scuttle or bowl) every time. I don't go so far as to dry it w/ a dish cloth or anything, because the little bit held in by surface tension when I dump it evaporates quickly.

Did the person who left theirs full of water give a rationale?

Yeah not in the high desert of CA or Death Valley....I dunno...just checking to make sure I wasn't missing something. I've seen soap "melt" too much water on a soft soap. and it would be messy and ruin the shave too.

The owner was a lovely person. I didn't want to say your breed a heck of a skin infection. So, refinish and then suggested that soap should be allowed to dry so you don't waste it.

Candles come with warnings not to leave them unattended and that they create smoke. So I'm thinking along those lines.

On the upside, this varnish is used on wooden sinks so it's that good. It's also a chance to learn a new finish and all the fun - and frustration of learning marine varnish attracts dust like nothing in the world and takes 2 days to dry per coat. But, better safe...

(05-29-2014, 01:18 PM)RunWithScissors Wrote: I'm with the majority here. i can think of no good and logical reason why anyone would want to leave water in the scuttle or shaving mug.
A scuttle's purpose if to create warm lather, which requires the introduction of warm/hot water into the reservoir. This can't be done if water is left in there.
I don't see any reason to leave water in the bowl area where you would create your lather as that would complicate the process even further as to how you would manage the excess water?
Finally ~ I see no reason to leave water in a mug that contains soap that you lather directly from as that would cause the soap to "melt" (lack of better word).

The only thing that I could think of is if you lived in an extremely dry climate and might leave a little bit of water over the soap puck to prevent the soap from drying out. But we're talking about living in the Sahara or something along those lines.

0 135
 06-04-2014, 04:28 AM
User Info
I think mildew can form in the bottom of the scuttle if its not dried out.

119 13,018
 06-05-2014, 06:21 AM
User Info
I would think so. Someone would be making their very own petri dish of bacteria. Yikes!

(06-04-2014, 04:28 AM)slantman Wrote: I think mildew can form in the bottom of the scuttle if its not dried out.

Sorry dyslexia strikes again. I meant to say "You're breeding a heck of a skin infection." What about psychic typing where's that? and the flying cars. Sigh

" I didn't want to say your breed a heck of a skin infection. "

0 135