05-25-2014, 05:17 PM
  • ThreeBs
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
User Info
Does anyone know how the actual knots are made ?
I can see tons of people making handles, but none of them are making their own knots.
I understand that they would need a supplier of badger or boar hair, but it could allow people to accurately select the badger type that they want since they would be choosing the hairs and making the knot.
Not like todays manufacturers, where you're kinda rolling the dice and hope to get something good.
Ex : You can compare a Simpson Best to a Semogue Silvertip and the quality of the hairs are incredibly similar.
Is it really hard to make a knot? What kind of equipement does it require ?

20 147
 05-25-2014, 08:04 PM
User Info
You can check out a few videos here of Simpson brushes.

I am sure it would require quite a bit of work with setting the hair properly, gluing it into the plug and you may have more trouble trying to source the hair that you want for the brush.
Best of luck to you if you endeavor to do so.

82 21,056
 05-25-2014, 09:15 PM
  • ThreeBs
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada
User Info
I'm not pretending to have the skills and talents needed to make the knots.
These guys at the Simpson factory are true artisans and are doing a fantastic job. I was just wandering how the knots were made and what kind of techniques or equipement they used.
Thanks for the link ! I'd love to see more of these vids.
I came to think about this a couple days ago using my chubby. I just don't understand how they can pack that much hair in a brush. Got me to think about how they were making the knots.

20 147
 05-27-2014, 06:22 PM
User Info
I cannot help you any further and, again, best of luck if you do try! Smile

82 21,056
 05-27-2014, 08:16 PM
User Info
Been looking into this for a little bit now. I'm going to be receiving a badger pelt near the end of this month solely for this purpose. In my search the best video I found was this http://sharpologist.com/2012/06/making-a...brush.html

0 29
 05-28-2014, 03:00 AM
User Info
daVinci shaving brushes (Germany):

2 5,545
 06-06-2014, 06:30 PM
User Info
A ton of knots are made in China and Taiwan. In general, though, buying a single knot is very hard. There are some sellers abroad but the ones who do sell one at a time don't look that great.

We get our high mountain badger knots from the manufacturer in China. Our Silvertips and Pure/Black Badger come from a broker in Taiwan. But again, one has to buy in bulk.

The current thinking is that in China and Taiwan they have an abundance of badgers. The badgers are plentiful and harvested by individuals. Whether this is the case, I cannot say for sure.

0 135