05-27-2014, 06:00 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Chaps,

A couple of pics of a Chubby #1 picked up as part of a recent haul, very lucky boy that I am.

I have just started using this beautifully soft brush. It has a wonderfully wide bloom and a great face feel. I am using it to face lather.

The lamp black is fading a bit and it has a slight pinkish stain down the front. A bit odd, but adds to its charm Smile

Anyone have any idea of the date of these brushes? I was trying to work out when Simpson stopped using lamp black, but I got no joy.

Has anyone else here had the pleasure of using one? I'd be most interested in hearing about your experiences.

[Image: QMdhZzl.jpg]
[Image: rHS6xE7.jpg]

0 1,768
 05-27-2014, 06:07 AM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
Gorgeous brush! I'm sure someone can give you close dates. Enjoy it!

58 1,312
 05-27-2014, 07:29 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
Very nice brush, I managed to get new Emperor 3 and PJ3 in super w/ lamp blackening, to me it seems they have a really long lofts. As to blemishes, both have some small almost brownish spots in the material near the base only. Mark dated mine to around the 90's.. he said they did lamp blackening up until the Vulfix purchase. So 90's and earlier would be the window of mfg lol.. small right?

They're really soft to the touch and soft on the face. I found I had to use the paintbrush strokes best to release the lather. But when it does it really layers it on thick, so its quite a pleasure to use.

great haul on an iconic handle!

35 1,329
 05-27-2014, 07:41 AM
User Info
Nice pick-up! You always seem to find such lovely brushes! Biggrin

83 21,077
 05-27-2014, 06:37 PM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
Fantastic, massive brush!

0 1,137
 05-27-2014, 06:49 PM
User Info
Gorgeous Chubby 1, the knot looks so luscious!

Yours appears to be a " David Carter " era Simpson, which should date between 1990 and 2009.

Enjoy that beauty!

69 2,186
 05-27-2014, 07:11 PM
User Info
Awesome brush.....

10 399
 05-28-2014, 03:20 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(05-27-2014, 06:49 PM)cessnabird Wrote: Yours appears to be a "David Carter " era Simpson, which should date between 1990 and 2009.

Interesting, and thank you.

Carter era is considered "Somerset" by some, but not by all folk. Although the Carter factory was located in Ilminster, Somerset, purists only consider Nimmer Mill (pre-Carter) brushes to be 'true' Somerset era brushes, and this includes Mr G. Young of the Simpson family. At Nimmer Mill, all brushes were turned on a water-powered lathe. Carter era brushes were resin-handled (in this instance), not catalin. I am unclear on the end date for the use of catalin by Simpson, but I think it was up until the end of the 1980s. If so, then I am right in assuming Carter-era brushes were probably all resin-handled, not catalin.

Vulifix Simpson came later again i.e. Isle of Man, from about...2008?

I'd date this particular brush at the earlier end of the 1990-2008 spectrum, not that it makes the slightest difference; all the other brushes I acquired in my recent, amazing haul were early brushes, including earlier, Nimmer examples, but this dating is pure speculation. I regard the turning and lathing on the Nimmer Somersets as superior, but that's according to my own eye. The detailing is a little sharper, and this appeals to me.

Pictures of two Chubby #1 "Somerset" brushes; the white handled version is the Carter Era, in Super (as discussed above); the butterscotch version is a Nimmer Mill Somerset, date uncertain, maybe 1960? Earlier?? Note the loft: appears to be two-band and labelled "Best"; very soft tips - much more so than today's "Best" version. A superb brush. Of note is the 'typo' on the label which says "Steriliezd"; only adds to its disntinciveness Smile

The butterscotch, for me, is scalloped more beautifully, and the 'shoulders' are more graciously rounded. It's hard to tell by the pictures alone, but it just seems a more well crafted handle by someone with a true, expert eye for form and proportion. It's a perfect little sculpture.

Enjoy

[Image: WUI0S84.jpg]
[Image: LcctpXf.jpg]
[Image: HH6BmYY.jpg]

0 1,768
 05-28-2014, 06:31 AM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
That's interesting
I actually prefer the look of the Carter chubbies

17 439
 05-28-2014, 07:16 AM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
Great comparison Shaun thank you for the illustrations, I find the more scalloped shape of the Nimmer Mill brush more appealing, to me there is more subtle detail changes to the Nimmer Mill vs Carter requiring more attention to detail but to think that was done via a water powered lathe, incredible.

Visually the 2 band plus that handle's specific tint of butterscotch makes that brush striking!!

do you have a modern CH2 to line up next to the 2 you've presented, it would show great evolution of the famed CH2 handle Smile

35 1,329
 05-28-2014, 04:35 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
do you have a modern CH2 to line up next to the 2 you've presented, it would show great evolution of the famed CH2 handle Smile
[/quote]

Here you are: from left to right: Somerset/Nimmer, Carter/Ilminster, Vulfix/Isle of Man.

Note the shading difference between the two 'white' brushes. The "Vulfix" Isle of Man is more distinctively creamy. Ilminsters are noticeably whiter.

[Image: wRpF0b9.jpg]
[Image: cfNuwbE.jpg]
[Image: LEV11en.jpg]

0 1,768
 05-28-2014, 06:51 PM
  • refles
  • New York
User Info
Thank you Shaun, a real visual history lesson you've provided! ... (For some reason I wrote CH2, I just noticed that)

I notice the coloration more so now, Vulfix is really a cream colored handle and not white, even though your see it all the time I didn't make that connection till it's presented in the way you did, my thanks for highlighting that.
I believe that I see small changes from even Carter to Vulfix, but regardless you really can't mistaken it for a Chubby!
Truly a impressive array of Chubby's, great shaving with it!

Sent using Tapatalk

35 1,329
 05-28-2014, 09:56 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
I don't have a Chuuby #1 in three band best from Vulfix, anyway...not sure I'll be acquiring one, either.

A two-band Manchurian Classic 1, though, mmmmmm... Perfect travel brush and will fit in the Simpson travel tube. I wonder if they were ever made in the Somerset era?

0 1,768
 05-29-2014, 04:45 AM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
The butterscotch, for me, is scalloped more beautifully, and the 'shoulders' are more graciously rounded. It's hard to tell by the pictures alone, but it just seems a more well crafted handle by someone with a true, expert eye for form and proportion. It's a perfect little sculpture. I agree. Tho I prefer the fan shaped knot on the other.

7 2,327
 05-29-2014, 05:34 AM
User Info
Amanzing brushes! Thanks for sharing Cool

8 1,683
 05-29-2014, 01:43 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
The evolution in knot shape is quite intriguing as well. The first is a traditional bulb, then traditional fan and finally the hybrid, I'd take the middle shape with the left's hair.

Fantastic brushes Shaun!

144 2,752