05-27-2014, 12:06 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I have a '68 Lady Gillette and a cheap chinese made Nanjie. Both are TTO razors, which is what I prefer(not married to them, just like them a bit better).
Now, I know that the Nanjie is a cheap razor, so comparing it to the Gillette is probably like comparing a Mustang to a Maserati, but....
When I compare the two, the metal on the Gillette, particularly the "bay doors", is two or three times thicker.

My question is, are the decent brand TTOs, like the Parker, Cadet/RazoRock, etc., comparable to the Gillette in terms of the thickness of the metals used?
What about Weishi, Micro Touch, etc?
I would really like to purchase either a Parker or Cadet/RazorRock TTO, but if the metal used, especially for the TTO doors, is a lot thinner than what is used on the older Gillettes I think I'll take a pass on them.
Anyone know the answer to this?

2 1,683
 05-27-2014, 09:20 PM
User Info
The razor makers of today have certainly cheapened the TTO design down to it's pure functionality. Will they butterfly open? yes. Are they stylish and well made? no.

0 217
 05-28-2014, 06:13 PM
User Info
(05-27-2014, 12:06 PM)SRNewb Wrote: My question is, are the decent brand TTOs, like the Parker, Cadet/RazoRock, etc., comparable to the Gillette in terms of the thickness of the metals used?

Yes the newer ones aren't made to the same quality. They will not last like the old ones. On the other hand, it depends on the shave you want. I like the newer TTO's like the Cadets. The longer thick handles, heavier weight, the larger blade gap with less blade tension and blade angle are all things I prefer. For $15-$20, I'm willing to find out just how long the razor will last and in the meantime, enjoy the shaves I get from it.

2 97
 05-28-2014, 11:25 PM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
When I was looking for a TTO, I looked at modern brands first since I know little of vintage. I checked out a few models but was not impressed by the build quality.

For the same money, and some patience, I decided to scout around for a vintage one. I found a good deal and it is making a stopover at a replater before it finally lands here.

I was sent pics and the thickness of the metal is apparent vs the modern ones.

It's a lengthier road, but like pens, vintage can be hard to beat in so many ways.

For three piece, am happy enough with moderns.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

2 286
 05-29-2014, 05:02 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
(05-28-2014, 06:13 PM)Zondervan Wrote: For $15-$20, I'm willing to find out just how long the razor will last and in the meantime, enjoy the shaves I get from it.
That's kind of my view as well. I don't mistreat my gear. I take care of it, and I think as long as that is the case, a modern razor will probably last me a long time.
Karlos, I would prefer all vintage, but some of the razors like the Cadet, Matador, Maggard, etc., look to be just too good a deal to pass up. But I am looking to collect vintage razors as well, so they will definitely be a part of the mix. It's just looking now like for TTO I would be better off with the vintage, and two or three piece if I choose modern razors. Which is basically what I was trying to figure out. Since the TTO has a lot more moving parts, or more complicated mechanism, I thought I'd rely on the experiences of those who went before me with the modern razors.
Thanks for all the replies!

2 1,683