05-13-2012, 02:35 PM
User Info
I have a friend who has a friend from England that is coming to America for a few weeks. I figured that since they'll be somewhat local to me, I'll see if my friend's friend can check in her local shops to see if there's any cream/soap that is harder to find/not economically feasible to buy if you're in America.

since I'm not from Europe and have never been there, I don't really know of any creams/soaps like that.

what's some popular stuff that I should have her search for and what is a fair price to pay for it in England?

40 5,830
 05-13-2012, 02:40 PM
  • Theido
  • Shave Stick Proponent
  • Colorado
User Info
Aren't Palmolive shave sticks only like 1 pound there? If that's the case it's basically half price then you can get in the states.

1 111
 05-13-2012, 02:53 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Creams :
  • Boots
  • Palmolive
  • Ingrams
  • Erasmic
  • The Real Shaving CO
  • Natural Grooming
  • St James of London
  • And,of course,the 3Ts and D.R. Harris

Soaps and sticks :
  • Erasmic
  • Palmolive
  • Wilkinson
  • Boots
  • Culmak
  • And,of course,the ones from the 3TS and the D.R Harris ones

86 7,123
 05-13-2012, 03:02 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I have been able to get the Kent/MWF soap at John Lewis in Edinburgh and Glasgow, Scotland, if you're willing to extend that search to all of the U.K. and not just England.

2 11,211
 05-13-2012, 03:08 PM
User Info
thanks for the list so far!

(05-13-2012, 03:02 PM)freddy Wrote: I have been able to get the Kent/MWF soap at John Lewis in Edinburgh and Glasgow, Scotland, if you're willing to extend that search to all of the U.K. and not just England.

the lady coming to America is in the London area.

40 5,830
 05-13-2012, 10:27 PM
User Info
Palmolive sticks and cream . I had a friend vacation in the UK , brought me plenty of each , I am pleased with both

0 61
 05-14-2012, 01:42 AM
User Info
Easily found, cheap, and good in the UK, for me means the Palmolive stick, and now that the summer is approaching ... Ingrams.

0 68
 05-14-2012, 07:21 AM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
RSC creams are sold here. Big deal, I don't like them.

3 2,562
 05-14-2012, 11:53 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(05-13-2012, 03:08 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: thanks for the list so far!

(05-13-2012, 03:02 PM)freddy Wrote: I have been able to get the Kent/MWF soap at John Lewis in Edinburgh and Glasgow, Scotland, if you're willing to extend that search to all of the U.K. and not just England.

Andrew, I meant that the product is probably sold throughout the U.K., not just England. John Lewis is a national chain department store, much as Macy's is here. Your friend might be able to find some things there. As has already been mentioned, products like Erasmic shaving cream and sticks and Palmolive sticks are usually sold for much less in the U.K. than they are here. Good luck in the search. Smile

2 11,211
 05-14-2012, 02:32 PM
User Info
In London, there's a BIG John Lewis department store in Oxford St. There, you can find:
- Vulfix brushes (Grosvenor Mixed, boar VS5 and a pure badger) and several Kent badger brushes;
- T&H nº10 shaving cream
- Kent soap and cream;
- Tweezerman brush;
- TOBS sandalwood cream
- Vulfix soap;
- RSC creams and balms;
- Aramis (veggie) shaving soap;
- Some higher-end stuff at the perfumes department, like Aqua di Parma and such.

The Erasmic range of products is sold in a drug-store chain called "Savers". The cream costs £1 and the sticks cost £0,50. You can also have the "Erasmic Supreme" stick (a glycerine soap with a great package - see here) and balm.

You can find Ingram cream in a drug-store chain called "Superdrug" (about £1,70). Beware, there's two versions of this cream. The blue package is the one you want - the lanolin lather cream with a freezing menthol feeling. Forget the green one, it's brushless.
At "Savers" you can also find own brand blades (they are Dorco's ST301) and a British men's line called "Bulldog" - the moisturiser is excellent stuff!!!

As for Palmolive sticks, you can find them almost everywhere. "Savers" drugstores, Tesco and Asda supermarkets, and Wilkinson stores. The prices go form £0,50 to £0,75 per unit. RSC are also easy to find, but you already have that in the USA (and good underrated stuff, IMHO). Smile

2 5,532
 05-14-2012, 03:39 PM
User Info
(05-14-2012, 11:53 AM)freddy Wrote:
(05-13-2012, 03:08 PM)andrewjs18 Wrote: thanks for the list so far!

Andrew, I meant that the product is probably sold throughout the U.K., not just England. John Lewis is a national chain department store, much as Macy's is here. Your friend might be able to find some things there. As has already been mentioned, products like Erasmic shaving cream and sticks and Palmolive sticks are usually sold for much less in the U.K. than they are here. Good luck in the search. Smile

ah, I gotcha now.

I'll let everyone know what she got possibly sometime later in the week when she gets in.

(05-14-2012, 02:32 PM)oversaturn Wrote: In London, there's a BIG John Lewis department store in Oxford St. There, you can find:
- Vulfix brushes (Grosvenor Mixed, boas VS5 and a pure badger) and several Kent badger brushes;
- T&H nº10 shaving cream
- Kent soap and cream;
- Tweezerman brush;
- TOBS sandalwood cream
- Vulfix soap;
- RSC creams and balms;
- Aramis (veggie) shaving soap;
- Some higher-end stuff at the perfumes department, like Aqua di Parma and such.

The Erasmic range of products is sold in a drug-store chain called "Savers". The cream costs £1 and the sticks cost £0,50. You can also have the "Erasmic Supreme" stick (a glycerine soap with a great package - see here) and balm.

You can find Ingram cream in a drug-store chain called "Superdrug" (about £1,70). Beware, there's two versions of this cream. The blue package is the one you want - the lanolin lather cream with a freezing menthol feeling. Forget the green one, it's brushless.
At "Savers" you can also find own brand blades (they are Dorco's ST301) and a British men's line called "Bulldog" - the moisturiser is excellent stuff!!!

As for Palmolive sticks, you can find them almost everywhere. "Savers" drugstores, Tesco and Asda supermarkets, and Wilkinson stores. The prices go form £0,50 to £0,75 per unit. RSC are also easy to find, but you already have that in the USA (and good underrated stuff, IMHO). Smile

thanks for the info, Emanuel. I told me buddy to have his friend search in the two drug stores you mentioned.

40 5,830
 05-24-2012, 02:57 PM
User Info
got my stuff that my friend's friend brought over with her from London. I posted photos here, but for a general photo for this thread, here we go:

[Image: 20120524_180634.jpg?m=1337899873]

4 sticks of palmolive classic, a tube of palmolive classic, a tube of ingram with menthol, 2 tubs of wilkinson sword, and a tube of wilkinson sword hydro.

40 5,830
 05-25-2012, 03:23 PM
User Info
Nice lot! The Ingram and Palmolive stuff is excellent! Enjoy them!

2 5,532
 05-25-2012, 09:05 PM
User Info
(05-25-2012, 03:23 PM)oversaturn Wrote: Nice lot! The Ingram and Palmolive stuff is excellent! Enjoy them!

thanks! that's what the lady was able to grab up with a quick run into town before coming to the states. her daughter is coming over in September so I'm going to send her the list you guys all helped me compile to see if she can get more of it for next time.

40 5,830
 07-06-2012, 07:38 PM
User Info
I'm bumping this again. My friend is going back to England in two weeks for a couple of weeks to see his family. He's from the Leeds/Bradford area and said he'd pick up whatever shaving items I wanted, if he could find them within a decent distance from where he'll be.

so, my question is, if anyone is from that area, what are some shops he'd likely find shaving supplies in?

from an earlier reply by Emanuel about John Lewis stores, it seems the closest one to him is about 45 miles away.

40 5,830
 07-06-2012, 09:05 PM
User Info
My question is, does he need another friend? Biggrin

32 6,310
 07-06-2012, 10:58 PM
User Info
The above is a rather comprehensive list IMO. Not much else available other than what has been mentioned.

I see you have the lovely blue wilki bowls. How did you find them?

7 1,179
 07-07-2012, 07:39 AM
User Info
(07-06-2012, 09:05 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: My question is, does he need another friend? Biggrin

lol.

if you didn't live like 600 miles away, I'm sure we should share some stories over beers!

(07-06-2012, 10:58 PM)Dipesh Wrote: The above is a rather comprehensive list IMO. Not much else available other than what has been mentioned.

I see you have the lovely blue wilki bowls. How did you find them?

I haven't used it yet. The only thing I've done with it is pop the lid off to smell it.

40 5,830
 11-11-2012, 09:58 PM
User Info
my friends friend is coming over from England again in December. lets see what she can manage to gather for me. Biggrin

I requested the following:

creams:
erasmic
ingrams
St. James of London
T&H nº10 shaving cream
kent cream

soaps:
Vulfix soap
kent soap
aramis soap

40 5,830
 11-11-2012, 11:47 PM
User Info
A friend sent me some Boots stick, add that to your list. It's performance is quite good, and the scent is (to me) pleasant and mild though I have no idea what it is I'm smelling.

32 6,310