05-28-2014, 11:00 AM
User Info
Well, not sure if this should go here or the complaint dept., but since it's about straights I figured I would start here.

So May has been my annual buy some straights month. I've just about finished up as May is almost over, but I did see a pair of nice horn Theirs-Issards at Vintage Blades. Both were at one in stock. It's retail so pricey, but a one man shop so I thought it'd be easy to talk to him. One razor was $400 the other $380 which is a lot of moola for a stunning razor but with an iffy reputation for Quality Control (like most french companies yes I'm looking at you Joris).

I asked Jim if he could provide pictures of the two horn handles I was interested in buying. The response back was that he opened the packages, one was in his eyes "medium" and the other "light". He would not take pictures, I had to go by his word. "Representative" pictures were on the site. If I didn't like one or both of the colors I had 14 days to return at a 10% restocking fee PLUS $30 per razor.

If he had time to look at both razors, he had time to snap one pic of each. Almost sounds like he makes his money taking his own stock back. Loss of a potential huge sale IMO. I just don't understand the business practices of some.

129 6,685
 05-28-2014, 11:07 AM
User Info
At least he responded, Doug, but it certainly sounds like he was not willing to make much of an effort for you.

207 12,354
 05-28-2014, 11:11 AM
User Info
If someone can't be arsed to take the timeout to take two pictures I wouldn't waste my time with them, in fact I wouldn't ever deal with them again, he should count himself lucky it wasn't me he was dealing with, when I'm in the market for a razor the seller will feel he's been interrogated by the Waffen SS by the time I decide to go ahead with the deal, and if he has nothing to hide why shouldn't he comply with any prospective buyers questions.

11 1,945
 05-28-2014, 11:16 AM
User Info
I don't understand the fact he could get off his butt long enough to look at the scales, but wouldn't snap a simple pic. Rams Horn can vary greatly and my idea of "medium" and his may be far off.

He's off my list of vendors I will deal with, and he lost out on an $800 sale. Hope that was worth it to him.

129 6,685
 05-28-2014, 11:59 AM
User Info
I think he had a hunch you were not going to be happy with them.

6 861
 05-28-2014, 12:14 PM
User Info
I don't know exactly what to contribute to your original post other than to say I am glad that it wasn't me who wasted precious time dealing with someone quite like that. Perhaps Vintage Blades is now in fact a Museum...nothing really is for sale. Restocking fee? What failed bricks and mortar business model did he pattern that after? What level of financial or physical stress would be worth $30 as a fee for a customer who decided ( hopefully within 14 days) that the "medium" wasn't quite MEDIUM enough because you wouldn't get off your backside to snap a few digital photos. I probably put more time into my SOTD photo today than it would take him to represent his EXPENSIVE wares he offers for sale with a handful of digital snaps.

19 775
 05-28-2014, 12:35 PM
User Info
He's delusional. Who's not going to want completely accurate and revealing pictures before plumping down 400 bucks per razor? As Mike said, sounds like he's running a museum, not a store.

5 298
 05-28-2014, 12:48 PM
User Info
(05-28-2014, 12:14 PM)minimalist Wrote: I don't know exactly what to contribute to your original post other than to say I am glad that it wasn't me who wasted precious time dealing with someone quite like that. Perhaps Vintage Blades is now in fact a Museum...nothing really is for sale. Restocking fee? What failed bricks and mortar business model did he pattern that after? What level of financial or physical stress would be worth $30 as a fee for a customer who decided ( hopefully within 14 days) that the "medium" wasn't quite MEDIUM enough because you wouldn't get off your backside to snap a few digital photos. I probably put more time into my SOTD photo today than it would take him to represent his EXPENSIVE wares he offers for sale with a handful of digital snaps.

Actually it was $30 PLUS 10% so in this case a $70 restocking fee per razor. Laughing1

129 6,685
 05-28-2014, 12:52 PM
User Info
(05-28-2014, 12:35 PM)oakeshott Wrote: He's delusional. Who's not going to want completely accurate and revealing pictures before plumping down 400 bucks per razor? As Mike said, sounds like he's running a museum, not a store.

Exactly my point. This isn't a whipped dog "blind buy" for $50 with strop and paste and the like. This is $400 plus shipping. I didn't ask him to go through every razor he had and take pictures so I could choose the one which I liked most. I asked for one picture of the ONLY one he had in stock.

Businesses complain that no one is buying the expensive stuff. Well for goodness sake show some initiative. Even if I don't like it, he now would have a picture for the next person who may actually like it.

129 6,685
 05-28-2014, 05:01 PM
User Info
Agree.

5 410
 05-28-2014, 08:11 PM
  • P Funk
  • I can only carry 50 chickens at a time
  • Bay Area, NorCal
User Info
He's had a bunch of vintage restores done by Max on the site for some time. The pics are weak and there is a bit of a markup it seems (understandably). While one can be reasonably safe in assuming the quality of Sprecher's work, these are not direct from Max. If these same blades were on Max's site, they would be gone in a matter of days.

A few simple, detailed pics and these razors would sell themselves...Obviously there are some who are not interested in regrinds. but without those pics and the restocking fees for returns, well, they have been around for a good bit.

19 591
 05-29-2014, 01:06 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
I completely agree with you Doug. It's the large sums of money we are talking about here. Surely that would have been worth a few minutes of his time?

14 871