05-28-2014, 07:40 PM
User Info
This one showed some "interesting" grinding along the spine. That had to be taken care of.
The client wanted to keep the original scales which I did along with the wedge.
Broke the blade down, cleaned it up along with the scales and she came out just fine.
The "selfie" you'll see was taken as I was working on the blade. It ended up a mirror finish after all.
The scales came up very nicely.
The reflections you see are the energy bulb in my swing arm lamp and the blue streaks are pairs of fluorescent bulbs 10 ft up on the ceiling.

[Image: KqzJcE2.jpg]

[Image: N4V3rtR.jpg]

[Image: WcIlgr5.jpg]

[Image: qkmcxQt.jpg]

[Image: TAyQH6G.jpg]

[Image: 0FtYwsc.jpg]

[Image: P4FQwhc.jpg]

[Image: pzgWkaw.jpg]

[Image: cypvb1v.jpg]

The finished piece.

[Image: 7tz6ufd.jpg]

[Image: PQUVwKT.jpg]

[Image: oGWiN85.jpg]

[Image: KE6Fm4Z.jpg]

[Image: bpk3cLO.jpg]

0 777
 05-28-2014, 07:52 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
amazing ! back to being a gem ! This one (the finished result) is about representative of the condition of a NOS Henckels I was given.
I have some old straights that need some TLC.
some of your transformations started with blades that looked more beat up
than a couple of old razors that I have. leaves me feeling hopeful that some of these
blades will clean up nicely. (in capable hands !)

0 1,291
 05-28-2014, 08:03 PM
User Info
Old Dog,,
Old blades never die. They come to the "spa" for a week or two and reemerge ready to go to work. And looking pretty to boot!

Thanks

0 777
 05-29-2014, 09:42 AM
User Info
Beautiful.
Q: were these razors originally mirror finished?

6 860
 05-29-2014, 09:56 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Such exquisite craftsmanship, as always.

153 3,128
 05-29-2014, 09:56 AM
User Info
No, at least not like this. Not too many were. This blade was in need of help and as I went on I just kept on going . I could have backed it down once I had it straightened out but my client was hoping for a cleaner blade. This is clean.

I usually stay more factory looking but sometimes I stray . And it's also up to a client as well unless I get something where a full polish isn't appropriate. Then too a polished razor has much less chance of rusting.

0 777