05-29-2014, 06:27 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
An adjustable razor is something people like Michael Hamm recommend as the second razor to get after learning the ropes with a DE89 or 34C.

I'm thinking of getting one, not so that I can get more aggressive shaves than my current razors, but so that I can dial aggression down for cleanup passes and the thinner areas of my skin.

I considered the Progress but I'd prefer not to worry about blade alignment quirks. The Futur is bigger, but I don't hear too many issues regarding aligning a blade when you load it.

Is the Futur less worrisome than the Progress in this regard? Does the shape of the head make it difficult to use around the mustache area?

(Edit - Turns out Hamm recommends a slant for a second razor but you guys get the idea. Smile )

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

2 286
 05-29-2014, 06:43 AM
User Info
(05-29-2014, 06:27 AM)Karlo Wrote: An adjustable razor is something people like Michael Hamm recommend as the second razor to get after learning the ropes with a DE89 or 34C.

I'm thinking of getting one, not so that I can get more aggressive shaves than my current razors, but so that I can dial aggression down for cleanup passes and the thinner areas of my skin.

I considered the Progress but I'd prefer not to worry about blade alignment quirks. The Futur is bigger, but I don't hear too many issues regarding aligning a blade when you load it.

Is the Futur less worrisome than the Progress in this regard? Does the shape of the head make it difficult to use around the mustache area?

I have a Progress and a Progress XL, and have never had an alignment issue with either. The issue with the Progress is not blade alignment, but rather number calibration. The bottom adjustment pierce can be removed and the number ring can be turned so it is calibrated at the plus sign. On the other hand, I also have a Futur, which is a great shaver, but has blade alignment issues. The Futur is a two-piece razor with a top piece that snaps on. There have been several instances where the alignment has been uneven and I have had to take off the top piece, re-align and snap back on. These alignment/calibration issues are minuscule at best and only require a few seconds of your time to adjust. These are great razors with issues that can be easily rectified. I would not allow either idiosyncrasy to deter me from purchasing the razor to which I am truly interested.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

0 295
 05-29-2014, 06:43 AM
User Info
I have both and prefer my Futur. It is heavy and I don't have any problems under my nose. I shave wide open at 6 then dial it down for ATG. I love the razor. No issue aligning the blade.

The Progress I don't like. It is very slippery and it always feels like it will slip out my hands. The numbers don't line up and because I'm OCD it makes me crazy. It also does not shave any where as nice as the Futur.

24 227
 05-29-2014, 07:24 AM
User Info
I found the Futur too aggressive and I just never enjoyed shaving with it. I did have a long handled Progress as well which I liked more but both are gone from my collection. The Gillette Fatboy stays, however.

15 771
 05-29-2014, 07:39 AM
User Info
I prefer the Progress as the Futur was just too large and the blade didn't seem to be as secure compared to the Progress, for me!
I have never had any issues with blade alignment with the Progress. It is a very nice shaver.
Good luck.

82 21,056
 05-29-2014, 08:02 AM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
I vote progress as well. The future wasn't very forgiving for me!

58 1,312
 05-29-2014, 08:18 AM
User Info
Ymmv so get both if its possible then sell the other one.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

1 6
 05-29-2014, 08:20 AM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
(05-29-2014, 08:18 AM)dirtdynamics Wrote: Ymmv so get both if its possible then sell the other one.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

That's a good idea actually. Put up a wtb and I'm sure someone will contact you. Neither are that hard to sell off either.

58 1,312
 05-29-2014, 08:56 AM
User Info
I have both the Futur and the LH Progress, and for me the Futur is my favorite.... But this is one of those things that I don't think you will know till you try them both out. They both are great razors. As for blade alignment. When got my Future I needed to remount the head, and the Progress is a little bit off. I don't think either make a difference in the shave, but the Futur it seemed very pronounced because of the blade exposure.

0 106
 05-29-2014, 01:18 PM
User Info
Progress, all the way.

4 58
 05-30-2014, 07:34 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I just checked the weights and dimensions of both the Futur and the Progress. I had no idea the Futur was THAT substantial!

The short handled Progress looks to be closer in size and weight to my Weber Bulldog. The Long version is about the same size as my R89 but is a lot heavier.

The regular handle Progress might be a better route...

2 286
 05-30-2014, 02:42 PM
User Info
(05-30-2014, 07:34 AM)Karlo Wrote: The regular handle Progress might be a better route...

Yes

4 58
 05-30-2014, 04:05 PM
User Info
My vote is the Futur, the audible feedback and heft.

3 84
 05-30-2014, 07:34 PM
User Info
Well all I'll say on this topic is: you're right it is a big razor. Can't get much bigger!
The good thing about it is that even if you don't like it... You just leave it laying out when you have people over and to a one, they'll be coming out of the Loo thinking "wow he does have a Big ....... Razor!

5 410
 05-30-2014, 10:02 PM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
(05-30-2014, 07:34 PM)Johnus Wrote: Well all I'll say on this topic is: you're right it is a big razor. Can't get much bigger!
The good thing about it is that even if you don't like it... You just leave it laying out when you have people over and to a one, they'll be coming out of the Loo thinking "wow he does have a Big ....... Razor!

Hahahahaha

2 286
 05-31-2014, 02:23 AM
User Info
I'd highly recommend a progress as a first razor. I got a lot of suggestions to not get a heavy razor when learning technique but in the end found I put less pressure on my heavier razors resulting in better technique. If I had to do it again I'd pick one middle of the road blade, maybe Astra SP and set a Progress on 1 and shave with that everyday for 3-6 months. If you start experimenting off the bat you really won't get a good idea of what works and doesn't because you really haven't gotten consistency and technique down. I find I can go back to razors or blades I thought didn't work and they're just fine now.

edit: I read it as first razor, not first adjustable. Regardless, there's my .02 from someone who just went through this over the past year.

12 848
 05-31-2014, 09:21 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
(05-31-2014, 02:23 AM)ShaneN. Wrote: I'd highly recommend a progress as a first razor. I got a lot of suggestions to not get a heavy razor when learning technique but in the end found I put less pressure on my heavier razors resulting in better technique. If I had to do it again I'd pick one middle of the road blade, maybe Astra SP and set a Progress on 1 and shave with that everyday for 3-6 months. If you start experimenting off the bat you really won't get a good idea of what works and doesn't because you really haven't gotten consistency and technique down. I find I can go back to razors or blades I thought didn't work and they're just fine now.

edit: I read it as first razor, not first adjustable. Regardless, there's my .02 from someone who just went through this over the past year.

I totally agree. When I picked up this hobby (or madness, depending in who you ask,) I was a little disappointed that I had very few options in cream and blades in my area. Looking back, it was actually good that I didn't have too many variables to contend with for the good part of 18 months. At that, I'm still finding improvements to my technique the longer I try to do this correctly.

My game plan is to find a setting that approximates the aggressiveness of my 89 or Weber and then dial down for the third pass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 286
 06-01-2014, 02:45 AM
User Info
I must be the only one that likes my aggressiveness as high or higher on the third pass. That against the grain sideways growing hair under my chin just doesn't want to be cut!

12 848
 06-02-2014, 02:34 AM
User Info
I also recommend the Progress. No blade alignment problems here. I use it set on 4, and it provides a smooth long lasting shave. It is in my current top 3 with an ATT R2 and a Muhle R41 2013. YMMV

18 194
 06-02-2014, 01:03 PM
User Info
again I think the Futur is great

3 84