05-29-2014, 08:55 AM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
I own both DEs and straights. Until now it has been wonderful to go into the bathroom and choose which one I use.
I absolutely love the feel of a straight against my face, and the difference in technique, the beauty of the razor itself, etc.
With the DE it is familiar territory, since it's what I started on in the '70s. I also like to try different blades, and have been playing around with that for the last few days, and having loads of fun and learning a lot, too.
But I miss the straight. But I really want to continue with the DE, the blades, etc.
Hence my dilemma. If I choose the DE, I'll be jonesing to use the straight. If I choose the straight, I'll be itching to go scrounging around in my cabinet, choosing DE blades and razor.
Oh the humanity! I need a twin growing out of the side of my neck or something.

2 1,694
 05-29-2014, 08:58 AM
User Info
I feel your "pain" i´m in the same dilemma since i got two straight razors. I have not used a straight for almost 20 years and i´m just remembering how great it is to shave with them.

1 202
 05-29-2014, 09:02 AM
User Info
I see your dilemma, but with Artisan soaps. I have several I like to use, and can't hardly pick between these let alone which scent to use. Now I have more coming in which will make the daily decision even tougher.

31 1,800
 05-29-2014, 09:04 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Use the straight Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

Use the DE Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.

Or just walk into the bathroom and flip a coin. Heads for straight, tails for DE.

179 23,923
 05-29-2014, 09:20 AM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
A straight shave takes longer for me so I normally save them for weekends or when I have more time. I will use the DE when I am feeling pressed for time.
Sometimes I also go through phases of favoring one over the other
Win win!

17 447
 05-29-2014, 09:25 AM
User Info
(05-29-2014, 09:04 AM)Johnny Wrote: Use the straight Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

Use the DE Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday.

Or just walk into the bathroom and flip a coin. Heads for straight, tails for DE.

Biggrin

83 21,109
 05-29-2014, 11:30 AM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Or use both. Because of time and needing to get to my office early in the morning, yet wanting to use my straights, I've been doing a first pass with my straights, and a quick second pass with my Cobra. On weekends, it's just straights. If I'm really rushed, it's just the Cobra.

38 5,194
 05-29-2014, 12:08 PM
User Info
I have the same "problem" with DE and SE razors. I don't know from one day to the next what I'll use. Not so long ago I used SE razors exclusively for almost a month.

I wouldn't feel any anxiety over it, just use what you want to on any given day.

32 6,470
 06-01-2014, 12:05 PM
User Info
WIN WIN for me is this:

I just recently bought 2 Feather Artist Club straights, one Japanese style handle and one classic style handle.

It only took me 5-6 shaves to get pretty well dialed in, but I used a Feather DX straight last year, so I already got a bit of practice.

But I just found that I get a very nice slow, great shave when I use my Feather AC Sraight for the first pass, then use one of my 40+ DE razors for the second pass and final touch up's. This is when I have patience, lots of time and can ease into a ZEN state of mind and focus on the quality of my shave and not focus on the time at all.

When in a hurry, I use either my Edwin Jagger Bulbous or Chatsworth Fusion 5-bladed monster for a fast smooth 6 minutes one pass + touch up shave (sometimes with a brush, sometimes with Proraso canned goo) and get a fine shave out of it.

24 6,018
 06-02-2014, 08:02 AM
User Info
DE on the left side, SR on the right? Smile

10 1,858
 06-03-2014, 08:55 AM
User Info
I choose based on time, since a straight razor shave takes longer. On weekends it's usually the straight. On weekdays it's usually the DE because I have to get to work. However, on those weekday mornings when I have the time I'll use the straight.

50 6,404