05-29-2014, 11:22 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I don,t use them but I saw at Classic Shaving some beautiful and very expensive American made straights which for you straight guys are probably worth looking at....check them out.

6 1,994
 05-29-2014, 11:43 AM
User Info
(05-29-2014, 11:22 AM)Harvey Wrote: I don,t use them but I saw at Classic Shaving some beautiful and very expensive American made straights which for you straight guys are probably worth looking at....check them out.

I have a Harner and a Hart. Nice razors indeed, but I'm not sure they are worth the money. By far the best of the "modern" razors I have tried (good heavens stay away from Douglas Cutlery) but I'm not certain the Harner is worth the money asked, it is a work of art though.

129 6,685
 05-29-2014, 04:05 PM
User Info
I have a decent collection of razors. And I've had quite a few come through my shop. No Harners but a few Harts. Rescaled them and tried them out.

I won't be adding any to my collection.

And for what it's worth I've heard (read) some horror stories about a particular site. Haven't dealt with them personally so it's not my experience.

But I can't imagine getting a new razor, it arrives with rust spots on it, and the return policy with restocking fees totaled $70.00. Yeah, your out that $ and no razor.

"Sell" enough razors like that and you can do OK just with restocking fees. Heard this several times. Seems wrong somehow.

Again it's not my experience. I haven't dealt with them personally. I'm just passing along what I have read.

0 777
 05-29-2014, 04:12 PM
  • BobH
  • Thunder Bay Canada
User Info
Personally, if I want a straight shave with an American razor, I'll take a vintage make any day. There are plenty to choose from and are somewhat under rated/overlooked IMHO.

Bob

0 1,694
 05-29-2014, 04:38 PM
User Info
(05-29-2014, 04:05 PM)mycarver Wrote: And for what it's worth I've heard (read) some horror stories about a particular site. Haven't dealt with them personally so it's not my experience.

But I can't imagine getting a new razor, it arrives with rust spots on it, and the return policy with restocking fees totaled $70.00. Yeah, your out that $ and no razor.

"Sell" enough razors like that and you can do OK just with restocking fees. Heard this several times. Seems wrong somehow.

Sounds like this place ... http://shavenook.com/thread-vintage-blades

I will say this, the Harner is a great shaver. I am personally underwhelmed with the Hart given the price. I am in line for a RW custom straight from another site I have heard great things on his work.

129 6,685
 05-29-2014, 08:36 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
I was SO close to picking up a Hart a few months ago...but for some reason I kept pushing it off. Finally I ran into Ralf Aust and ordered one directly from Germany...and I'm so glad I went that route as I got the exact razor I wanted (which shaves so well) for way under what the Hart would have cost Smile.

I'm sure they're great razors and maybe one day I'll find out. Those Harners look lovely as well, although I have to admit if I was shopping in those price ranges, I'd be looking in another direction Blush

34 1,628
 05-30-2014, 01:32 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen, I have a Butch Harner 7/8 full hollow in cocobolo scales and love it. The razor is beefy and a delicious shaver. I have honed a couple Hart razors and am not impressed.

145 2,948
 05-30-2014, 09:00 AM
User Info
(05-30-2014, 01:32 AM)Obie Wrote: Gentlemen, I have a Butch Harner 7/8 full hollow in cocobolo scales and love it. The razor is beefy and a delicious shaver. I have honed a couple Hart razors and am not impressed.

My Harner is a 5/8 full hollow in curley koa wood. It is simply a work of art, and it is indeed an excellent shaver. Blade alone is not worth the price, but as a whole package .... it is indeed nice. Just the shipping / storage box is a work of art, by far the finest packaging of any razor I have ever opened.

The Hart I have is a 6/8 in camo wood (different stripes of different colored wood). It is pretty, but clunky feeling, heavier than the harner and much poorer balanced. It also doesn't shave near as nicely. IT's half the cost of the Harner and it shows.

I do think that anyone who can afford a Harner at least experience one, but there are cheaper options out there.

129 6,685
 05-30-2014, 06:27 PM
User Info
Any pics, Doug?! Biggrin

82 21,056
 05-30-2014, 06:29 PM
User Info
(05-30-2014, 06:27 PM)celestino Wrote: Any pics, Doug?! Biggrin

I will try to post some tomorrow. I will have to find the box for the Harner as that is worth a pic as well.

129 6,685
 05-30-2014, 06:33 PM
User Info
Excellent, Doug! Now you really have piqued my curiosity with that case! Biggrin

82 21,056
 05-31-2014, 11:29 AM
User Info
Here's the Hart. Despite what I have said, it's a nice shaver. My beef is I don't think it's worth the money asked. Does not make it a bad shaver at all. For a modern hand forged, hand made razor it is excellent and without a doubt some great bang for the buck. The scales are also changeable. You can order about 12 different colors from Classic Shaving and change them out yourself if you get bored with one color / wood. Blade is 6/8.

[Image: aGH5bro.jpg]

[Image: 2I9jamy.jpg]

129 6,685
 05-31-2014, 12:02 PM
User Info
Here's the Harner. Beautiful shaver, very sweet to use. Well honed, sings like there is no tomorrow. 5/8 and shoulder-less. Curly Koa wood. Also included are pics of the incredible coffin the razor came in. That coffin was inside a white box with only Harner written on top. Pictures do not do the coffin justice. The top is maple, the bottom mahogany all very heavily lacquered.

[Image: VeBR717.jpg]

[Image: oX5mYyi.jpg]

[Image: RJZOe0h.jpg]

[Image: 19vtm0E.jpg]

129 6,685
 05-31-2014, 03:29 PM
User Info
Beautiful razors and box, Doug! Thanks for sharing the pics! Smile

82 21,056
 05-31-2014, 06:36 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Yes, that is typical of the Butch Harner's smaller blades — all artistic wonders. Good show, Doug.

145 2,948
 06-05-2014, 09:20 AM
User Info
These beauties make my plebeian Geneva "antlers" branded and my great-grandfather's WWI issued straight look quite humble.
I would not trade either one though: the Geneva gives me an outstanding shave and the other is all I have from my Dad's side of the family... I wish he had not misplaced his horn-scaled 1940s Puma...Sad

0 6
 06-05-2014, 09:23 AM
User Info
(06-05-2014, 09:20 AM)Horsehide Wrote: These beauties make my plebeian Geneva "antlers" branded and my great-grandfather's WWI issued straight look quite humble.
I would not trade either one though: the Geneva gives me an outstanding shave and the other is all I have from my Dad's side of the family... I wish he had not misplaced his horn-scaled 1940s Puma...Sad

Oh you have to share pictures of these two. A WWI issued straight? You have got to share that!

129 6,685
 06-05-2014, 09:39 AM
User Info
(05-31-2014, 11:29 AM)wingdo Wrote: Here's the Hart. Despite what I have said, it's a nice shaver. My beef is I don't think it's worth the money asked. Does not make it a bad shaver at all. For a modern hand forged, hand made razor it is excellent and without a doubt some great bang for the buck. The scales are also changeable. You can order about 12 different colors from Classic Shaving and change them out yourself if you get bored with one color / wood. Blade is 6/8.

How can it be both not worth the money and a great bang for the buck?

Enviado de meu GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk

0 163
 06-05-2014, 09:50 AM
User Info
(06-05-2014, 09:39 AM)cegadede Wrote:
(05-31-2014, 11:29 AM)wingdo Wrote: Here's the Hart. Despite what I have said, it's a nice shaver. My beef is I don't think it's worth the money asked. Does not make it a bad shaver at all. For a modern hand forged, hand made razor it is excellent and without a doubt some great bang for the buck. The scales are also changeable. You can order about 12 different colors from Classic Shaving and change them out yourself if you get bored with one color / wood. Blade is 6/8.

How can it be both not worth the money and a great bang for the buck?

Enviado de meu GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk

Actually it is easy. Compared to most other custom hand made razors out there, this is indeed a great bang for the buck purchase. Hand forged blade, real wood scales, for what is a *decent* price for a hand made razor in 2014.

That said, to me the razor is not worth the money paid. The shave is no better than I get with a mass produced Dovo. Perhaps after I hone it myself I will change my mind, but for now I would not buy it again. That does not take away from the fact this razor gives a pretty decent shave at the low end of the hand made blades.

The Harner is about twice the price as the Hart and therefore somewhat expensive but the shave is about as smooth as it gets. Bang for the buck on the Harner is poor, but to me it was worth the money.

129 6,685
 06-07-2014, 04:17 AM
  • Macko
  • Virginia
User Info
wingdo, just curious, how long have you shaved with straights?

17 549