05-31-2014, 07:37 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
KINGS...

There are many Kings:

Christ the King, King Tutankhamen, The Kings of England, The King of Rock n Roll,
The King of Pop, The King of Clubs, The King of Queens, The Lion King, King Kong and even Burger King...

[Image: XeWPi7G.png]

And now the makers of the Cobra Classic,
present...

THE KING COBRA CLASSIC...

[Image: TkwE2wf.jpg]

[Image: HjIJ7xm.jpg]

[Image: dlgUXF5.jpg]

[Image: 6H7K95y.jpg]

[Image: 35BOcgr.jpg]

Ravi and I had been highly anticipating the release of the updated Cobra Classic.
When we were approached to preview the razor we obviously excitedly agreed.
Now, it's your turn to share our excitement and be among the very first to learn about the new razor here at The Shave Nook...

HISTORY...

The original Cobra Classic was introduced to the market in 2009.
The razor was a means to showcase the Feather AC blades in a more "user-friendly" manner.
The aim was to also appeal to a broader audience, rather than shavette users alone.

[Image: WuEFVfz.png]

THE COBRA CLASSIC...

The original Cobra Classic will still be offered for sale, although due to manufacturing cost increase,
The Cobra Classic will now retail for $199 and stock is due mid June.
Chris Barker, Director of Operations, Classic Brand, Inc. apologises for the limited availability of these razors,
but states they are currently only manufactured in very small batches.

[Image: 3r9f8wJ.png]

DESIGN...

The King Cobra Classic is bigger, has better grip, and less plating.
It is designed to take Feather Professional injector blades, but now also accepts Feather ProGuard blades.
The razor head is solid brass, with nickel plate and the handle is powder coated metal.
The razor head is almost identical to Cobra Classic.
It differs with a shorter latch mechanism, which actually seems to fit “tighter” with less “wiggle.”
Inserting and removing blades is identical.
Blade exposure appears unchanged.

[Image: r3vxWVV.png]

QUALITY...

Overall the razor is well constructed.
Design changes to the handle have resulted in less room for coating “wrinkles” or “flaws.”

[Image: K4lA0vv.png]

PERFORMANCE...

The razor boasts unbelievable grip and ergonomics with the new knurling on the handle shaft.
It’s very well balanced and features a nice angle of approach on account the new handle angle.
It is equally effective as the Cobra Classic.

[Image: rgT3aNY.png]

PRODUCTION...

Both the Cobra Classic and the King Cobra are produced in small quantities by a small US manufacturer.

[Image: W1UGU5C.png]

RELEASE...

The King Cobra Classic is due to be released on or around June 1st in time for Father's Day.

[Image: QNb69i6.png]

PRICE...

This razor will retail for $239.99 and will be supplied with a pack of Feather Pro blades.

[Image: hUZc7aE.png]

THE COBRA CLASSIC VERSUS THE KING COBRA CLASSIC...

[Image: DNlW0Fm.jpg]

[Image: C0BAs1s.jpg]

[Image: 7IzV507.jpg]

[Image: byLWUOK.jpg]

[Image: Dwc2tdg.jpg]

[Image: 0Kq9nqH.jpg]

[Image: 8KeXdbZ.jpg]

FIRST IMPRESSIONS...

When the King Cobra Classic was first delivered I was elated.
However, when I unwrapped it I was initially underwhelmed aesthetically
and was not expecting my mood to change with its first use.
But, from my very first shave with the King Cobra Classic,
I think Classic Shaving have actually done the unimaginable and improved on the already outstanding Cobra Classic.

[Image: mFhHEk7.png]

Now, if this is the King Cobra Classic and weight wise it certainly is,
then IMO the fairer Cobra Classic is the Princess.
Not only heavier, the King Cobra is larger than the Cobra Classic both in length and handle girth.
The King Cobra has shed the smooth, shiny metallic skin found on the Classic Cobra
and now features a body of rough scales in the form of an exceptionally grippy handle.

[Image: dgcc5Do.png]

FIRST SHAVES...

The first thing I noticed was the handle orientation.
The Cobra Classic handle is almost parallel to the face during use, whereas the King Cobra is at an angle between 30 to 40 degrees.
This change makes for a more manoeuvrable position in the hand and more natural navigation about the face.

[Image: xH60GON.png]

The extra length of the King Cobra's handle provides improved balance in the hand
and presentation of the cutting edge to the face.
The increased weight and length of the King Cobra's handle combine to provide an improved relationship between face and blade.
Any tendency to apply unnecessary pressure when using the Cobra Classic is overcome with the King Cobra.

[Image: cH0ucsD.png]

The extra weight also made the King Cobra perform more efficiently for me.
Often extra weight, especially when felt towards the head translates to a heighten sense of aggression.
However the King Cobra glided effortlessly, operated every bit as smoothly, and IMO provided a closer shave.

[Image: P6C8e2j.png]

The grip on the shaft of the King Cobra almost bites into your hand when the razor is dry.
When wet it feels infinitely more comfortable.
Wet hands and wayward lather caused fear and alarm when wielding the ever so slippery Cobra Classic.
Not so with the King Cobra!
With utmost confidence, I covered the shaft in lather as well as my hands to further test the amazing grip.
You can NOT drop this razor!
Phenomenal in its own right and a IMO a major improvement over the Cobra Classic.

[Image: gbtv1DO.png]

Head construction seems to have deviated minimally.
The branding now appears on the inside of the neck.
The locking lever seems to have a better relationship to the rest of the head.
There seems to be less play in both the lever and the base or blade recess.

[Image: olF3aMT.png]

FINAL THOUGHTS...

The King Cobra is huge; bigger than the largest DE, the Merkur VISION, but yet the King Cobra remains highly navigable.
The King Cobra is heavy; heavier than the Cobra Classic, but better balanced.
The King Cobra is not slippery when wet.
The King Cobra is easier to hold .
The King Cobra is easier to use.
The King Cobra is costly, but IMO worth every cent.
The King Cobra performs even better than the Cobra Classic.
I didn't think I was going to like the King Cobra, but I love it!
So much so that I'll be purchasing a back-up.
It's not as elegant as the Cobra Classic, but the King Cobra's usability is a definite improvement.
For me this also translated into improved performance and zero irritation.
The Cobra Classic will remain in my collection, but will regularly bow down for the King Cobra.

ALL HAIL THE KING!

[Image: pkz22ie.png]

DISCLAIMER...

* * * For those concerned with absolute transparency * * *

Please be aware:

1. We did NOT purchase this razor.
2. We have no affiliation with or financial interest in the manufacturer of Cobra Razors, or Classic Shaving.
3. We own a number of Cobra Classic razors and are self confessed Cobra fan boys.
4. Our views are our own and are not representative of The Shave Nook forum.
5. We intend to purchase back-up King Cobras - yes the razor is that good!

[Image: F0xhiSh.png]

THANK-YOU...

Ravi and I would like to thank Chris Barker and Classic Brand, Inc. for the opportunity to preview the King Cobra Classic.

99 18,011
 05-31-2014, 07:41 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Just a couple of size comparison images that didn't fit above...

[Image: BKSjcek.png]

King Cobra Classic vs M&F 30mm Blonde Badger

[Image: 9qpLg8K.png]

King Cobra Classic vs Merkur VISION

99 18,011
 05-31-2014, 07:57 PM
User Info
Y'all enjoy and thanks for sharing it with us here.

31 8,056
 05-31-2014, 07:57 PM
  • warhawk
  • Beautiful NorthWest Florida
User Info
That is a great review of the King Cobra. Ravi & Ben. . . I love your pics of the King Cobra. I know you guys had a great time with the King.Biggrin

WARHAWK

12 333
 05-31-2014, 08:28 PM
  • Lutebro
  • Olympia, WA
User Info
Great review guys! I still think if I do snag another cobra it'll be another Classic. There is just something about them that the King doesn't capture. It lost something that I feel you noticed as well but thankfully your review went beyond just looks to how it shaves.

58 1,312
 05-31-2014, 09:21 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(05-31-2014, 08:28 PM)Lutebro Wrote: Great review guys! I still think if I do snag another cobra it'll be another Classic. There is just something about them that the King doesn't capture. It lost something that I feel you noticed as well but thankfully your review went beyond just looks to how it shaves.

The Cobra Classic is simply that a classic.

When I try and conceptualise "classic" I think of the razor's refined simplicity and elegance.

The King Cobra Classic posses an appearance based on utilitarian ideals rather than the more sophisticated and timeless qualities inherent in the original.

The King Cobra Classic as a tool is an improvement, but the Classic will always retain a special place...

99 18,011
 05-31-2014, 09:26 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Thanks for the review. The Cobra Classic has been my "perfect" razor. I'm not sure if the King Cobra can match or top it for me, but I'm eager to give it a try.

38 5,036
 05-31-2014, 09:50 PM
User Info
Very nice review Ben, thanks for sharing.

67 2,171
 05-31-2014, 09:56 PM
User Info
Wonderful photos, gentlemen! Nice razor, by the way! Biggrin

82 21,056
 05-31-2014, 10:11 PM
  • Mr_Smartepants
  • Cambridgeshire, UK (CONUS post address)
User Info
Great review! I want one now.
Because of the dissimilar materials used, can the handle be removed from the head? Or is it assembled in such a way to keep everything locked tight?

47 1,903
 05-31-2014, 10:15 PM
User Info
The razor head can be disassembled, but you may need a custom handle. I think Ben and Ravi might have photos to illustrate this. Biggrin

82 21,056
 05-31-2014, 10:24 PM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
The head does unscrew from the handle...

[Image: BiIo6yf.png]

The thread however is much larger and current after market handles will not fit.

99 18,011
 05-31-2014, 10:24 PM
User Info
Nice review and a very nice looking razor, but way over priced IMO you could pick up a Feather ASD2 for that money and that's a lot more razor for the money in terms of engineering and and quality.

11 1,921
 05-31-2014, 11:16 PM
User Info
Brilliant review and pictures. It's very tempting!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 1,182
 06-01-2014, 12:23 AM
  • Lando
  • This deal is getting worse all the time
  • Bellevue, WA
User Info
Nice review and razor

Unfortunately too rich for my blood

17 437
 06-01-2014, 12:33 AM
User Info
A hearty big thanks Ben & Ravi, and a great review.

Charles U.K

0 2,428
 06-01-2014, 12:54 AM
User Info
This Razor looks great, Where can you buy these? Thanks

0 100
 06-01-2014, 12:59 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(06-01-2014, 12:54 AM)Stevie17 Wrote: This Razor looks great, Where can you buy these? Thanks

They are not currently available for purchase, but very soon they will be offered by the same vendor as the Cobra Classic...

99 18,011
 06-01-2014, 01:06 AM
User Info
(06-01-2014, 12:59 AM)ben74 Wrote:
(06-01-2014, 12:54 AM)Stevie17 Wrote: This Razor looks great, Where can you buy these? Thanks

They are not currently available for purchase, but very soon they will be offered by the same vendor as the Cobra Classic...
OK Thanks but who offers the Cobra Classic?

0 100
 06-01-2014, 01:17 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(06-01-2014, 01:06 AM)Stevie17 Wrote: OK Thanks but who offers the Cobra Classic?

classicshaving.com

99 18,011