03-03-2012, 01:52 AM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
I have heard some comparisons of the newest batch of M&F hair to the legendary Rooney Finest. Does anyone own one and can comment?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts

9 541
 03-03-2012, 02:26 AM
User Info
I've heard that too, but unfortunately I can't comment on the new stuff. I wish I could though as it definitely gets my interest anytime talk of shaving brushes comes up. I got one shortly after he first started, and I can say while it's not a direct comparison it's scary just how close to it. I actually found a preference for my M&F Series 1 Size 2 over a Rooney Finest Series 1 Size 2. it retained enough backbone and scritch but better flowthrough that I ultimately sold that Finest. I do still have a 3/1 though. I think it's a grade that deserves to stand on it's own as well. The 1/2 was just too dang dense for me, but the hair is quite unlike anything I've found so far. Definitely if you want to experience it all it's a marquee brush you'll be wanting to try!

10 462
 03-03-2012, 02:32 AM
  • GreekGuy
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
Joe,

Thank you very much for your reply. How would you compare it to the simpson's best? I have a Chubby 2 for reference. Do you find the M&F more scrubby? I know the Rooney heritage is almost gel-like, and I heard last years M&F was like that as well. (btw: let me know if you ever decide to sell the 3/1, I'm in love with the Finest, sadly...)

9 541
 03-03-2012, 03:14 AM
User Info
That's an interesting grade to compare it to. I realized just now my bests display a wide range of differences. The M&F is definitely more scrubby but nothing too harsh at all. The only one of my Bests that closes in on the M&F would be my Polo 10 which is quite soft, but it has just a hint of scrub in it which feels more like a tickle. The M&F has a distinct feel of the hairs working into your skin, with more of an emphasis made with each pass you make. Now if I compared it to my Milk Churn 2 it's incredibly soft and you'll be hard pressed to notice it at work. I'd rank from my largest brushes scrubbiest to softest the Polo 10, Eagle 3, Case, Wee Scot, Rover, and Milk Churn 2. The M&F is well safe in being in scrubbier territory, but it strikes a very ideal balance between it all. The Rooney 2-band Heritage is definitely almost gel-like. I can't stand that. I find this is how it goes with the TGN Finest as well, but I know they do get some coarser knots in it as I had one before, as does my friend. I bought one for him the same time I bought his.

10 462
 03-03-2012, 08:45 AM
User Info
I don't have a M&F Finest. My M&F I bought from Lee recently is like no one of my other 20+ brushes I have. It's perfect scrubby without being prickly at all. It has more backbone than my Commodore X3 and a little more density. I feel the Blond having more contact with my skin than Best which is a bit more scritchy. I suspect the different feel of softness between Simpsons' Best and M&F's Blond is due to the different backbone. It helps the Blond to be more scrubby IMO. Also, both Blond and Best have very good flow through, almost perfect like Thater.
I agree with Joe about his observations on TGN Finest. I have two of them in fan and bulb shapes and they feel weird with their gel-like softness like my Rooney Silvertip but with more backbone. For some reason I don't like how they feel and how they release lather. I suspect they're similar to Rooney Heritage, but this is only my guess based on what I've read about the Heritage.

2 180
 03-03-2012, 11:23 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I only have 3 M&F : two from the 2010 and one from latest 2011,and I can say that there were differences between those two baches.The ones from 2010 had super soft tips with a really firm backbone,the one from 2011 had kind of scratchy tips (and not as white as the other two) and the same backbone,maybe a little bit less.
Never tried the Rooney finest but some guys have told me that their Rooney Finest brushes are pretty similar to the Semogue LE 2011 badger 2,which for me,its more similar to a shavemac D01 two band.

86 7,123
 03-03-2012, 12:03 PM
User Info
I don't have a Semogue Badger LE, but I have had several Rooney Finest brushes, and also Shavemac D01 2-band brushes.

Here's my take:

The Rooney Finest hair has excellent backbone and white tips. The tips maintain some scritch, but it feels 'refined'.

Shavemac D01 2-band hair has backbone, but less than the Rooney's, and the tips are softer (about a midpoint between Rooney Finest and Heritage XL hair).

I don't know what the Semogue LE's are like, but the SOC is nowhere as 'refined' as the Rooney's, though the SOC is an excellent brush.

I'm not going to state that the Rooney Finest is the 'best' - it's just different from any other hair grade I've used.

For what it's worth, of the major makers, I like Simpson 2-band the best. Rooney Finest is in second place, though I'd find it hard to justify over the SOC badger.

37 1,731
 03-03-2012, 12:29 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(03-03-2012, 12:03 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: I don't have a Semogue Badger LE, but I have had several Rooney Finest brushes, and also Shavemac D01 2-band brushes.

Here's my take:

The Rooney Finest hair has excellent backbone and white tips. The tips maintain some scritch, but it feels 'refined'.

Shavemac D01 2-band hair has backbone, but less than the Rooney's, and the tips are softer (about a midpoint between Rooney Finest and Heritage XL hair).

I don't know what the Semogue LE's are like, but the SOC is nowhere as 'refined' as the Rooney's, though the SOC is an excellent brush.

I'm not going to state that the Rooney Finest is the 'best' - it's just different from any other hair grade I've used.

For what it's worth, of the major makers, I like Simpson 2-band the best. Rooney Finest is in second place, though I'd find it hard to justify over the SOC badger.

Thanks for your inputs,my friend.

I meant than the Semogue LE2011 Badger 1/2 its more similar to the shavemac D01 two band.The SOC finest badger that I have has a different finest badger hair for sure than those other ones.

And now lest go back to the Rooney finest vs M&F 2012 blonde badger.

86 7,123
 03-03-2012, 05:39 PM
User Info
(03-03-2012, 12:03 PM)yohannrjm Wrote: I don't have a Semogue Badger LE, but I have had several Rooney Finest brushes, and also Shavemac D01 2-band brushes.

Here's my take:

Thanks too for your impressions. While perhaps not a direct comparison, if someone has one 2-band they typically have tried others as well and can get an idea based off of that as well. Eventually I'll try Shavemac 2-band and probably a LE 2011 soon.

10 462
 03-03-2012, 06:03 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
I have the 2011 LE on the way, and a D01. I'll try to compare them both to the Finest. Although that doesn't really give any insight regarding the M&F. I'll probably just have to break down and buy one

9 541
 03-03-2012, 06:09 PM
User Info
My SOC 2-band and 2011 LE size 2 are the stiffest and scrubbiest brushes I have. M&F is not that stiff and scrubby. D01 3-band is less scrubby than M&F. This is just my perception.

2 180
 03-03-2012, 06:38 PM
User Info
Que Phil's last 2011 LE Size 2 Badger on the way. Rolleyes

10 462
 03-03-2012, 08:46 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Someday. Someday I would like to use a Finest and see what the allure and attraction is all about.

In the badger herd that lives in my cabinet, I find it hard to believe that a Finest could gain a place. But, until the times comes, its only my speculation.

47 1,378
 03-04-2012, 02:08 AM
  • GreekGuy
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(03-03-2012, 08:46 PM)MaxP Wrote: Someday. Someday I would like to use a Finest and see what the allure and attraction is all about.

In the badger herd that lives in my cabinet, I find it hard to believe that a Finest could gain a place. But, until the times comes, its only my speculation.

Max, unless you enjoy extremely scrubby brushes, do yourself a favor and stay away. Trying to track them down is not only frustrating, but saddening and expensive

If you do, however, then they are well worth trying. I've heard, however, that the Semogue 2-band LE is very very close. I'll share my thoughts when mine arrives, but if thats true then it would be a very close substitute for 1/3 the cost if not less

9 541
 03-06-2012, 08:06 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(03-04-2012, 02:08 AM)GreekGuy Wrote: Max, unless you enjoy extremely scrubby brushes, do yourself a favor and stay away. Trying to track them down is not only frustrating, but saddening and expensive

If you do, however, then they are well worth trying. I've heard, however, that the Semogue 2-band LE is very very close. I'll share my thoughts when mine arrives, but if thats true then it would be a very close substitute for 1/3 the cost if not less

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm quite interested in what you determine.

47 1,378
 03-25-2012, 08:58 PM
User Info
Nick, do you have an update for us? Cool

12 1,243
 03-25-2012, 10:14 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(03-25-2012, 08:58 PM)insomniac Wrote: Nick, do you have an update for us? Cool

My brush arrived and I've finally started to get it into a stride. I'll take some photos and post a detailed review in the next coming days. The only thing I have to say right now is that if you wish you would have bought a 1/2 Rooney Finest when they were $250 a pop, run and grab a size 1 finest while you still can.

9 541
 03-27-2012, 01:29 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
So I was going to take some photos. But as I got to it, I couldn't really think of a way to do it that would give any value. So I'll just get to it.

I think the best comparison to the Semogue Size 1 is the Rooney Finest 1/2. The brushes both have 24-25mm knots, with a 55ish mm loft. I think the Rooney is a tad scrubbier, but almost in a scritchy way. Its that unique Rooney finest feeling which you either love or hate. I will say the semogue is very very close. In fact, if I didn't know better I would say it feels like a worn-in Rooney Finest. I personally prefer the feel of the Rooney, but at this level of closeness its being picky more than anything else. Even being a limited edition, the Semogue has been fairly easy to acquire. I paid $119 for mine, new. A 1/2 in Finest will cost roughly $250 or so, used, if you can even find one, which is no easy task.

Of course, I'm always on the lookout, and would love to buy a 1/1 in finest. But the Semogue 2-band size 1 is a fantastic scrubby brush. I've heard the size 2 doesn't quite have the same feel because of the higher loft, although it is still by all means scrubby.

9 541
 03-28-2012, 02:55 AM
User Info
(03-03-2012, 01:52 AM)GreekGuy Wrote: I have heard some comparisons of the newest batch of M&F hair to the legendary Rooney Finest. Does anyone own one and can comment?

I think there is now question about what hair is actually 2012 hair, and what is is actually now shipping in March of 2012......... maybe 2012 ver. 2.

About a month ago I received a M&F, it was quite dense, a great backbone, and very scritchy (comparable IMO to the 2011 Semogue LE Badger 1). That brush turned out to be a shedder and Lee made me a new brush, but out of different hair. It sounds like he is no longer using the hair (because of shedding issues) that I received in the first brush. The new brush is a completely different breed of cat. Less dense, good back bone, and much less scritchy.

24 212
 03-28-2012, 10:38 AM
  • GreekGuy
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(03-28-2012, 02:55 AM)Moe Wrote:
(03-03-2012, 01:52 AM)GreekGuy Wrote: I have heard some comparisons of the newest batch of M&F hair to the legendary Rooney Finest. Does anyone own one and can comment?

I think there is now question about what hair is actually 2012 hair, and what is is actually now shipping in March of 2012......... maybe 2012 ver. 2.

About a month ago I received a M&F, it was quite dense, a great backbone, and very scritchy (comparable IMO to the 2011 Semogue LE Badger 1). That brush turned out to be a shedder and Lee made me a new brush, but out of different hair. It sounds like he is no longer using the hair (because of shedding issues) that I received in the first brush. The new brush is a completely different breed of cat. Less dense, good back bone, and much less scritchy.

Interesting. I've never quite understood this shedding business. I thought it was just an issue of not using enough glue. I've never heard if the hair itself being the culprit

9 541