05-13-2012, 05:03 PM
User Info
I have many, many interests and hobbies. Some are listed in my profile, but I thought I'd share one that I'm currently working on. To start, I love restoring old things that can actually be restored to working condition. I love how old things function and the mechanics of old tools simply amaze me.

These are pictures of a wood plane (bench plane) that I'm currently restoring. I have 3 others in line after this one is complete.
This one is a Bailey-Stanley #5 that belonged to my fiance's great-grandfather. It dates to about 1930. This one will simply be cleaned up to working condition, but only used for decoration, so I wanted to leave some of the patina.

Before:
Heavy rust from spending many years in a barn.
[Image: BAILEYNo501.jpg]

After:
I used electrolysis to remove the rust; which took nearly 10 hours. I polished the brass knobs and screws, sanded and stained the rosewood tote (handle) and front knob. The metal was cleaned with scotch brite finishing pad after it's long electro-bath and coated with a liquid car wax to keep it from rusting. I oiled the moving parts and put it back together to see how it looked. I still have a bit more to do to get it where I want it, but it's pretty close.

[Image: BAILEYNo502.jpg]

So, share your other hobbies or interests. We're not defined by only shaving--well some of you are. Tongue

9 451
 05-13-2012, 05:07 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
For the longest time, I'd stopped playing video games. I just didn't have time to play them any longer. My wife bought me a Playstation Vita (the newest handheld) and I'm having a blast with it playing Soccer, MLB, Golf, and a few other games. I also collect knives (spyderco, kershaw, SOG, etc). I have quite a few. Since I work at home now, I don't really need to carry one, but I always do. My favorite carry knife is my SOG Trident. It's hands down one of the best pocket knives I've ever owned.

116 3,804
 05-13-2012, 05:35 PM
User Info
I might be a bit sad, but until traditional shaving I didn't eve have a hobby. I'm not very handy so I just focus on helping people. I'll get into a reading kick occasionally but that's about it. Oh yeah, and good coffee.

31 7,914
 05-13-2012, 05:44 PM
User Info
I still make time for video games. Tiger Woods 13, Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Fallout 3, Madden... I love knives as well, but don't own many. I go camping, so I always need one. My camping knife is a Gerber LMF II, I've had it for several years and it takes a beating. My Kershaw is my do it all knife and typically smells of fish.

The Trident is a nice knife, SOG makes some great knives. I bought my nephew a SOG SEAL pup because he loves those survival shows. That Bear Grylls (spelling) guy is his idol, naturally he just bought his signature knife; which is ugly.

(05-13-2012, 05:35 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I might be a bit sad, but until traditional shaving I didn't eve have a hobby. I'm not very handy so I just focus on helping people. I'll get into a reading kick occasionally but that's about it. Oh yeah, and good coffee.

Not sad at all. Making good coffee is an art--I love coffee. Also, this is a hobby or interest thread, I'm sure you have an interest in something. My fiance said she was boring because she had no hobby, I pointed out her interest in antiques and she soon realised that she knew a lot about primitive pottery.

9 451
 05-13-2012, 06:15 PM
  • leo
  • Two Rivers WI
User Info
I like pistol shooting and photography.
Very much an amateur on both subjects.
I also like to pick up old cameras.
I have some of of my photos online but since there are nudes and I'm not sure on the rules here about linking to stuff like that.
But I can post some other photos.
[Image: frog_in__leafs_by_pixel25-d30kosm.jpg]
[Image: sunset_2_by_pixel25.jpg]
[Image: by_the_lake_4_by_pixel25.jpg]
[Image: river_by_pixel25.jpg]
I apologize for the picture heavy post.

Attached Files Image(s)

0 126
 05-13-2012, 06:15 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I've always enjoyed working on small engines. Can't tell you how many old lawn mowers I've rescued from the curbside for garbage pick-up. Just a little TLC and someone gets a nice little mower. I usually fix stuff like this up and give it to someone that can't afford one. I've been known to do a little plumbing work now and then, but you don't want me anywhere near a saw, hammer, and nails.

173 23,535
 05-13-2012, 06:26 PM
User Info
As one can tell by my username, I have a little hobby business making bowls that I sell on etsy.com. I am a member of the Early Ford V8 Club and enjoy my 1950 Ford that I bought 40 years ago. I collect Widows Mite (Prutah), small coins from the about 200BC to just after the time of Christ. I collect postcards of the town I live in. We have three shelties. I have a collection of vintage firefigthting coats. And, of course, a small collection of vintage GEM, Ever-Ready, Star, and plastic (bakelite) slant razors.

6 230
 05-13-2012, 06:37 PM
User Info
(05-13-2012, 06:26 PM)Bowlturner Wrote: As one can tell by my username, I have a little hobby business making bowls that I sell on etsy.com. I am a member of the Early Ford V8 Club and enjoy my 1950 Ford that I bought 40 years ago. I collect Widows Mite (Prutah), small coins from the about 200BC to just after the time of Christ. I collect postcards of the town I live in. We have three shelties. I have a collection of vintage firefigthting coats. And, of course, a small collection of vintage GEM, Ever-Ready, Star, and plastic (bakelite) slant razors.

Would you post a picture of a Widows Mite?

31 7,914
 05-13-2012, 07:38 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(05-13-2012, 05:03 PM)Johnny9 Wrote: I have many, many interests and hobbies. Some are listed in my profile, but I thought I'd share one that I'm currently working on. To start, I love restoring old things that can actually be restored to working condition. I love how old things function and the mechanics of old tools simply amaze me.

These are pictures of a wood plane (bench plane) that I'm currently restoring. I have 3 others in line after this one is complete.
This one is a Bailey-Stanley #5 that belonged to my fiance's great-grandfather. It dates to about 1930. This one will simply be cleaned up to working condition, but only used for decoration, so I wanted to leave some of the patina.

Hi John

Nice restoration, do you use some of the hand tools you restore for woodworking?

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 05-13-2012, 07:40 PM
User Info
I am a competitive shooter, and as you can see by my avatar, a scout leader (cub scouts, to be precise). I also enjoy playing video games, and just this past week, got talked into some good old fashioned table top role playing.

1 223
 05-13-2012, 10:02 PM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I enjoy fountain pens. I have collected a few and managed to successfully put new ink sacs into some. I much prefer writing with a fountain pen rather than a ballpoint.

[Image: P1020279.jpg]

[Image: P1020221.jpg]

[Image: P1010944.jpg]

[Image: P1010911.jpg]

2 11,211
 05-13-2012, 10:30 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
(05-13-2012, 05:07 PM)Dave Wrote: For the longest time, I'd stopped playing video games. I just didn't have time to play them any longer. My wife bought me a Playstation Vita (the newest handheld) and I'm having a blast with it playing Soccer, MLB, Golf, and a few other games. I also collect knives (spyderco, kershaw, SOG, etc). I have quite a few. Since I work at home now, I don't really need to carry one, but I always do. My favorite carry knife is my SOG Trident. It's hands down one of the best pocket knives I've ever owned.

Dave I know nothing about knives but I want to get one for work and was wondering what knife you would suggest for a cop to carry on duty? A window breaker and seat belt cutter would be nice to have on the knife but I don't know if I would be taking a step down in quality if those are included.

While wet shaving is my number 1 hobby I'm also a golf nut. It quenches my competitive thirst. I also enjoy watching footbal and baseball and I'm pretty big into Fantasy Football.

45 3,955
 05-13-2012, 11:03 PM
User Info
Does poking around on the internet count as a hobby? Because I do a lot of that... Other than that, I like messing around with computers, I enjoy playing video games (survival horrors for the most part), doing odd projects that lets me use my hands and technical skills... once the shed is shined up I plan to turn it into a little workshop for wood and leather working - hope to make some more knifes.

@tgutc: A knife for what need? Primarely as a tool or as a weapon? Personally I don't go anywhere - in or out of uniform - without either my Leatherman or one of my smaller home made knifes (2" blade, 4" total, leather grip tailored to my hand).

3 3,577
 05-13-2012, 11:35 PM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
English gent here: we have 2 allotments (fruit cages, 20' polytunnel, brassica cage), and 1 garden with pond & beehive. Spring and Summer are good & busy times; in the winter activity is bit thin on the ground.

We also go fell walking in the Lake District (NW England) once every year.

Apart from that, not much really.

BTW love the photos and really respect anyone who can rescue beautiful old tools. Very impressed.

1 290
 05-14-2012, 01:24 AM
User Info
Wow, I'm in awe of all the talent and knowledge lurking these forums. It's nice to see a more personal side to everyone too.

@Leo, those are great fotos. Do you use slide film at all? The color saturation reminds me of Fuji Velvia (my favorite film). Love the cameras as well. I have a Roliflex that needs fixed and a Minolta Maxxum 7.

@Johnny, I have a `71 Ford LGT145 in need of your service. lol

@Mark, you really need some pics. What is a Window Mite?

@Freddy, your handwriting is awesome. No one writes in 'script' anymore, hell most barely write at all. I would love to be able to write like that.

@Mike, I don't do so much woodworking, I'm usually repairing junk furniture that my fiance drags home.

@Charlie, what type of competition, CMP, Cowboy, Clays? I love shooting, but sold most of my guns after losing my job. I only have a Springfield XD 40 and my trusty Marlin 336 30-30.

@Travis, I'm a football freak and play fantasy every year. I've been a Raiders fan since I can remember. You know you're a true fan when you admit to being a Raider fan... The past decade has been harsh.

@Hans, I have a small shed that I wanted to turn ino a woodworking shed, but it's filled with so much crap that I may as well buy another. Do you do leather work now?

@Persius, I have 2 gardens and a small raised bed herb garden. Working in warm dirt feels great on the bare feet. I had a bad experience with honey bees when I was a kid. I wanted their honey, but they didn't want me to have it.
My friend had a few hives and we went down to smoke them out and gather the honey, I had the hat, mask and suit on, but something wasn't done correctly and a few bees got in and lumped me up.

Thanks for the kind words. I like taking things that no one wants and making them regret letting them go. Since my fiane's brother was going to throw them in the dumpster, despite being in the family for 4 generations, I decided to take them and get them back in working order. I hope he'll take one if it looks nice. It's something his great-grandfather used all the time. If he still doesn't want one, I'll give it to his son.

9 451
 05-14-2012, 01:57 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
(05-13-2012, 10:30 PM)tgutc Wrote:
(05-13-2012, 05:07 PM)Dave Wrote: For the longest time, I'd stopped playing video games. I just didn't have time to play them any longer. My wife bought me a Playstation Vita (the newest handheld) and I'm having a blast with it playing Soccer, MLB, Golf, and a few other games. I also collect knives (spyderco, kershaw, SOG, etc). I have quite a few. Since I work at home now, I don't really need to carry one, but I always do. My favorite carry knife is my SOG Trident. It's hands down one of the best pocket knives I've ever owned.

Dave I know nothing about knives but I want to get one for work and was wondering what knife you would suggest for a cop to carry on duty? A window breaker and seat belt cutter would be nice to have on the knife but I don't know if I would be taking a step down in quality if those are included.

While wet shaving is my number 1 hobby I'm also a golf nut. It quenches my competitive thirst. I also enjoy watching footbal and baseball and I'm pretty big into Fantasy Football.

My SOG Trident has a seatbelt cutter that doesn't take anything away from the knife. It and my SOG Utility tool are with me most all the time.

116 3,804
 05-14-2012, 02:05 AM
User Info
Sadly, since I got no one decent to work my only leather work these days is repairs of belts and knife scabbards Sad

3 3,577
 05-14-2012, 03:17 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
(05-13-2012, 10:02 PM)freddy Wrote: I enjoy fountain pens. I have collected a few and managed to successfully put new ink sacs into some. I much prefer writing with a fountain pen rather than a ballpoint.

[Image: P1020279.jpg]

[Image: P1020221.jpg]

[Image: P1010944.jpg]

[Image: P1010911.jpg]
Great looking collection of fountain pens.

My hobbies include:
Birdwatching celebrating my 19th year.
Postcards vintage and modern.
Photography
Fountain Pens
Hiking
Cooking
Postcard exchange world wide.
I make my own postcards from my photos.

1 3,507
 05-14-2012, 03:33 AM
User Info
Reading, particularly European and American History.
Bread Baking
Cooking
Hiking and Camping (these days from a car)

3 452
 05-14-2012, 03:45 AM
User Info
I've always liked the idea of exchanging post cards, but I would never know what to write. After seeing Freddy's handwriting, I would be embarrassed to write anything. I like post cards that display the area from where they were sent. Here, it would be either old covered bridges, Amish carriages or Amish carriages crossing covered bridges. LOL

9 451