05-31-2014, 07:55 AM
User Info
[Image: 4wmd3Ud.jpg]

I got a straight razor shave on my face and head at a really cool retro barber shop yesterday. They had this for sale along with some pomades, Col. Conk soaps and a few different A/S splashes ( I ended up with a bottle of Osage Rub!)

Anyway...has anyone tried this Shiner Gold shaving soap? It smells great. It is spearmint (reminds me a little of Wrigley's gum).

I plan to put a review up after I try it today. But would be interested in hearing if others have tried it and how they liked it.

0 38
 05-31-2014, 10:13 AM
User Info
I have never heard or seen it, before. Amazing how many shaving soaps there are, now. Best of luck to you! Let us know how you find it. Smile

82 21,077
 05-31-2014, 01:19 PM
User Info
(05-31-2014, 10:13 AM)celestino Wrote: I have never heard or seen it, before. Amazing how many shaving soaps there are, now. Best of luck to you! Let us know how you find it. Smile

Will do!

0 38
 05-31-2014, 10:53 PM
User Info
Tried a few test lathers with a friend and it was not favorable in my opinion. Very airy lather and can't get over the fact that they would choose that for a scent. Just my opinion.

79 1,338
 06-02-2014, 03:09 PM
User Info
My review of Shiner Gold shaving soap (See picture above).

I was anticipating using this soap. I had hoped that it would perform well and be one that I could work into my rotation. However, I was very disappointed by this soap.

Shiner Gold is a glycerin and goat milk soap that has a spearmint scent to it. It is a pleasant white color soap and it a hard soap tha tcomes in its own tin. That makes it easy to get a lot on your brush from the container.

I transferred my brush to a bowl to try to get a good lather out of it. I added water several times but the soap just would not give a rich creamy lather.

I applied the lather I was able to get to my face and it was very thin and dry feeling.

Cost: $12.99

Lather: extremely thin and disappeared quickly.

Protection: non-existant. Very dry soap.

Scent: Not all that bad. When it is lathered the spearmint scent becomes very light. I wondered if it would be like having chewing gum on my face but it wasn't.

Would I but it again: No

I am going to experiment with this soap and see if I can add another soap with it that is tallow based to see if it improves the performance.

0 38