05-31-2014, 10:43 AM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
This is something I've wanted to do for years and years (and years) but I just never did it. I'm not sure if I want to go the "dear diary" route or creative writing way.

To me the dear diary route is a bit weird because those are private thoughts and someday someone will be reading them when I'm dead and gone. Or they find it and snoop etc... (yes I have snoopy kids who would read it if they found it) So I can't get over that part I guess......

But I do want to journal. I want my childhood memories for my children to read and maybe even stories I was told by my parents about their childhood. So those memories aren't forgotten and will be here long after I'm dead and gone.

Yet I find creative writing to be fun as well as I've done a little bit of that. You know the type where you take a line and write a story around that statement or first line etc.... Just for the fun of it.

For those of you that journal, do you write what you did that day.... old memories, a little creative writing? Do you just use one notebook or do you have different ones depending on what you are writing about?

I did buy this on amazon on my kindle fire... And there are a few others I am thinking of getting as well.
http://www.amazon.com/365-Journal-Writin...journaling

My problem is I can't ever think of what to write.... Which is why I like prompts. But even some forgotten childhood memories can be recalled by a simple generic prompt.

I bought a nice "journal" to write in, but so far the pages are complexly blank of any hand writing.

I have a cheap mead notebook that I am writing my creative stuff in. I stocked up last fall on notebooks for the kids for school and bought too many super cheap so I used one of those. Well just for creative writing stories.

But another thing is I want my kids to also get in the habit of journaling. But also creative writing. The two youngest do well on spelling tests in school, but when it comes to writing it seems they have forgotten what they have learned and misspelled words are all over the place! So it will double as a way to work on penmanship as well as spelling for them during summer holiday. Right now they are using pencil in a cheap mead notebook, although I was looking at some nicer notebooks on jetpens that have better quality paper.

Thoughts?

7 405
 05-31-2014, 10:48 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Hey Krissy Smile
For me I have different *journal* styles

One, is a prayer journal that is several notebooks of different sizes, but my preferred size for all written journals is a
Gold Fibre, Project Planner, 9.5 in x 7.25 in , spiral.

Two, are my Journals about my wet shaving journey Biggrin
those are the videos I created/create on my YouTube channel.

Hope that helps!
Blessings,
James

9 1,684
 05-31-2014, 11:22 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Krissy, journaling is something I have never had a desire to do. A written letter from someone, and saved by me, is way more important than trying to write my thoughts down. Frankly, and this is going to sound ridiculous, I would find writing my private thoughts down too intrusive and too public, even if I was the only one to see those journals.

However, many have the desire to do so and enjoy it for any number of reasons. Certainly, trying to broaden your childrens' education is an excellent idea. Even if they don't take to journaling later in life, at least you will have exposed them to it which, in turn, will give them a greater appreciation of those who do.

As for the physical journals themselves, I should think that is as personal as the words that will ultimately go in them. Whatever you decide, good luck to you. Smile

2 11,211
 06-01-2014, 02:47 PM
  • krissy
  • Cando, North Dakota
User Info
Thank you both for taking the time to respond as you both have helped me a great deal. This is something that I have been pondering on for weeks now. But the last 24 hours even more so as it's a journey I want to begin.

The kids are all out of the house at the moment so I have a moment of peace and quiet to think and hear myself think. LOL the pubic pool opened today so Case and Alyssa have walked to the pool to enjoy the sunshine and fresh air. I believe I may get them both a summer pass just to keep them busy! Kylie my oldest went to work! And the poor hubby is at work, but he works for a grain elevator so that means the farmers are in the fields and so the elevator is hopping delivering fertilizer and whatever else they do there this time of year. But the overtime checks are rather nice, but I do feel bad for him working 16-18 hours days, 7 days a week. That's the life of working in the ag business, so just think of that the next time your at the supermarket.

But anywho.....

James I do like your idea of your journal for your wet shaving journey. For me that would be my soapmaking journey. As I do want to keep on my toes and make different things and it can be a way of keeping track of my failures and my triumphs. Because I also like making things for fun just because I can so I do have more ingredients to play with than just what I offer my customers. And I do want to work on offering more items. Not just for the wet shaving world but for everyone in the family.

I was asked by someone here on the forum about making a product for him so I'm going to start that and keeping notes would be very helpful! I will ask for testers (on the forum) once I'm satisfied and then it will be available to all.

But I also want to take time out for myself as well and there are two other things that I enjoy. As that is important as well especially as my kids get older. But teaching them the art of crafts. My oldest daughter is more like her daddy, in she would rather spend her time at the range shooting! Something she use to do a lot with her daddy when she was small. But the younger two do like to be crafty and I want them to enjoy that in life and take that with them when they leave the nest. Last night my 13 year old SON made lasagna for supper ALL by himself!!! (from scratch but he did use a jar of pasta sauce for the sauce but he doctored it up with spices of his choice) He asked me to come help him but I knew he could do it so I gave him verbal cues from the other room. And it turned out perfect and wonderful!!! I knew he could do it and didn't need my help. It wasn't his first time making it as he's made it with his dad looking over his shoulder. Some help that is as he has less cooking skills than my son. LOL But my point is to spend time teaching my kids to cook and other crafts like sewing and such.

I find sewing very relaxing and rewarding. So I never thought about it but keeping a journal of my sewing would be wonderful! Things I want to create and do, things I have done. I have many ideas pinned on pinterest.... (sadly I'm utterly addicted to the site) Planning projects and figuring out how much fabric is needed to make different projects. Both of my two youngest kids love to sew at the machine.

But for my other passion is dolls..... I know it's silly, but I have a few reborn dolls. They are dolls that are painted to look more like real babies than dolls. I have done one for my daughter, but I would really like to do another, but make a silicone one by making my own silicone head, arms and legs from a mold that I make, just for me, not to sell or anything! So a journal on that would be helpful as well. I already make accessories for them and have done for years.
Doll 1
http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm454...y120-1.jpg
Doll 2 (his or her depending on the day LOL has hair that is both painted on and rooted so it looks amazingly real)
http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm454...-1-600.jpg

But I'm just going to as they say just do it.... I do want some memories such as my son making lasagna by himself remembered. So years from now they can go back and read back about various memories from my childhood..... stories my parents have told me about theirs, and stories about their own childhood. So I guess those will go in the special journal that I bought.

Freddy, that's what I have a hard time with. How some people write down their feelings and every emotion. And I'm not comfortable with that idea either because I find it intrusive as well. And you know sometime, somewhere, someone is going to read it.... and I'm not comfortable with that. Yet there are some thoughts that I want written down, the kind that won't matter if it's read two days after, two months after or twenty years after.......

But it's something I do want to get my kids introduced do. When Case was having a hard time in school that was the only way I could deal with him and the problem. For him to write down what he was mad about and that was for his eyes only. I never once looked at what he wrote in his notebook. But then when things got better in school with the bully situation he didn't need the notebook anymore to deal with his anger. Getting him involved with martial arts has been a positive experience for him because he's learned that he isn't weak, he has words and knows he doesn't have to put up with the bully. The school refused to do anything because he has a troubled home life.... *sigh* But it's something I want them to at least try......

Does anyone else Journal, or write things down and such even if they are not consciously journaling?

7 405
 06-01-2014, 03:13 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Does anyone else Journal, or write things down and such even if they are not consciously journaling?

Um, er, ah, I keep a record of some of my fountain pen inks. Blush Does that count?

[Image: afegppE.jpg]

2 11,211
 06-01-2014, 08:19 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Krissy!
those dolls look absolutely amazingly real Cool

btw, you just did a HUGE journal in the post -
you have your husband working long hours, your son making lasagna, your other kids and their interest in hobbies, your oldest daughter and her liking to be at the range, your dolls, your son overcoming the bully at school, etc!

Freddy,
I would consider it a journal record of your inks!
Tongue

9 1,684
 06-02-2014, 05:11 PM
User Info
I keep several "journals". I keep track of weather, gardening and flowers in one book. My nature finds, walks, camping trips, etc in another book. Pens, ink, paper, related in another book. As for writing down my secret thoughts and such....That won't be happening.

1 346
 06-03-2014, 01:36 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
oh, my....your dolls are amazing and so lifelike !
as per what James mentioned, your post, is about like how I consider journaling.
not there every day, like a diary so much, but a jotting down of things on occasion
when I am reflecting.
course, my "little one" is 42, so I don't have as much exciting stuff
to write about ! Smile

0 1,291
 10-15-2014, 05:05 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
Over on ETSY are some amazing ( and pricy) leather bound journals with artisan paper, embossed covers and even some brasswork.They look one part Harry Potter and one part Frodo finishing THERE AND BACK AGAIN. They seem aimed at young wiccan/Satanists putting together a GRIMOIRE/ BOOK OF SHADOWS.
Confused Shivers at the memory of Lisa Silverman,university classmate-G/F, exotic dancer and conflicted jewish wiccan.Dodgy
I carry a simple, unlined pocket Moleskine. If I see a particularly attractive big leaf Sycamore with a hawk in it I can scribble a crude sketch. I meet a pretty new cashier at Trader Joe's or a new wine I like and want more of ( the wine)I can record their names. You never know what 'feather on the breath of God'- Hildegaard of Bingen- the day will bring your way to record

2 3,171