06-02-2014, 05:21 AM
User Info
I decided that from now on I am purchasing only vegetable based soaps.
I just want to know what to avoid based on ingredient list.
If a soap contains "stearic acid" does it means that the fat is derived from animals?

Thanks!

UPDATE:
I got an answer from a manufacturer and in that particular case the stearic acid is derived from animals.

6 827
 06-02-2014, 05:27 AM
User Info
No it does not... Stearic acid can also and it is most likely a plant based product but most of the time there is no way to tell unless the manufacturer specifically states that it is not derived from a animal. Sometimes the will state that it is vegetable based. http://www.camdengrey.com/essential-oils...rived.html

0 79
 06-02-2014, 05:37 AM
User Info
Most likely palm-derived, but like mfcarpino says, there's no way to be certain unless the maker says one way or another.

There are quite a few very good artisan soaps on the market right now with all vegetable formulations.

10 1,858
 06-02-2014, 06:19 AM
User Info
Almost all of my soaps now are veggie and they all have stearic acid listed as the first ingredient. I think I've found my winning combination regarding soap formulas. W00t

31 8,057
 06-02-2014, 06:26 AM
User Info
(06-02-2014, 05:37 AM)Songwind Wrote: There are quite a few very good artisan soaps on the market right now with all vegetable formulations.

Yeah, Dapper Dragon soaps are wonderful! Biggrin

I'm sure Eric doesn't want to toot his own horn, but they are really good!

21 555
 06-02-2014, 07:01 AM
User Info
(06-02-2014, 06:26 AM)BriDroid Wrote: Yeah, Dapper Dragon soaps are wonderful! Biggrin

I'm sure Eric doesn't want to toot his own horn, but they are really good!

Thanks. Smile That tightrope between "make sure people know about us" and "being obnoxious" can be tricky.

10 1,858
 06-02-2014, 07:15 AM
User Info
As said before, stearic acid can be made from animal fat. You have to check with the manufacturer or look for vegan or no animal products designations on the label to be sure. The same applies to glycerin.

15 771
 06-03-2014, 07:41 AM
User Info
(06-02-2014, 07:15 AM)guildx500 Wrote: As said before, stearic acid can be made from animal fat. You have to check with the manufacturer or look for vegan or no animal products designations on the label to be sure. The same applies to glycerin.

+1 I recently read a very long and convoluted 'argument' about this as a supplier was listing the La Toja shave stick as a tallow based soap - simply because it has stearic acid listed. There were some chemists, soap makers, and even a lawyer that jumped in on the conversation and it seems that the verdict is: the word "stearic" is derived from "steer", as that ingredient was most commonly derived from animal sources. However, today stearic acid can be either made from animal or vegetable products - but most commonly nowadays it is vegetable based. So the common thought being, unless it lists tallow specifically (or any tallowate) it is most likely a completely vegetable based soap. However, "most likely" does not mean "always", so if it important to you to know for sure, your best bet is to contact the manufacturer to make sure.

6 61