06-02-2014, 12:58 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
From time to time, one sees allusions to the four wax dots that position a DE blade made in the PPI plant in St. Petersburg upon the paper in which the blade is individually wrapped. The dots stay with the blade, rather than with the paper, when the blade is unwrapped.

In a DE razor, then, do the wax dots get placed "down," next to the base plate, or do they get placed "up." beneath the cap or, in TTO razors, beneath the doors?

What is your preference, and why?

1 1,109
 06-02-2014, 02:08 PM
User Info
Facing the base plate because it's easier to clean wax off the flat base plate than the curved cap.

9 1,208
 06-02-2014, 03:00 PM
User Info
I place the dots facing up. As I rinse off the blade they go away and I've never had the blade stick to the barn doors or top plate so that it was a pain to replace come blade changing time.

2 71
 06-02-2014, 03:46 PM
User Info
I never think about it. Every few days I change blades and clean my respective razor.

2 546
 06-02-2014, 07:31 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(06-02-2014, 03:46 PM)PanchoVilla Wrote: I never think about it.

The thickness of the wax dots seems (to my eye) close to the thickness of the blade itself. Those who choose to use shims in their DE razors to increase blade exposure usually cut an old blade in half and place it between the base plate and the new blade. Does placing the dots down have the same effect? What effect on blade exposure and angle does placing the dots facing upward have? IOW, do your shaves differ depending upon which way the dots face?

1 1,109
 06-02-2014, 09:54 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
I usually clean the wax off w/alcohol and q-tips. In a rush I put the wax down because I feel the bottom of the blade in a razor has the least effect on my shave. This is because with the wax down it isn't in contact with my skin, or the shaving edge of the blade. Wax is a pain in the neck though, and I don't like having to think about it...a big plus for me with Personna blades lab or hospital, is the fact that they do not have any waxLightbulb

4 794
 06-02-2014, 10:17 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I have no idea why the manufacturers put wax on blades. It seems to me to have no purpose other than to create an annoyance. Still, no biggie really. I don't care which way up or down. When I've finished with a blade I move to a different razor and give the just-used one a good clean up anyway, base plate, silo doors, the lot.

0 1,843
 06-02-2014, 10:18 PM
User Info
Neither up nor down, scraped off with the previous blade Smile

5 90
 06-03-2014, 05:48 AM
  • Stubbl E
  • Lake Tahoe, California
User Info
 06-03-2014, 05:59 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Many aren't bothered by them, but I find the wax dots unacceptable and I clean them off with a Q-tip and acetone or lighter fluid.

If you don't remove the wax dots, I think it would be best to have them facing down in a TTO razor, as I have read reports of the wax dots adhering to the silo doors and resisting efforts to open the razor.

- Murray

4 1,150
 06-04-2014, 05:26 PM
User Info
(06-02-2014, 10:18 PM)yomuppet Wrote: Neither up nor down, scraped off with the previous blade Smile

+1

3 285
 06-04-2014, 07:24 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
For me it depends on the specific razor I'm using, and whether the top or bottom is easier to clean. Sometimes the base plate is easiest to clean, other times I find the top cap easier...really depends...Smile

I wish I was ambitious like some of the other gents and actually clean them off before use...I may have to try that and see if its sustainable for me Biggrin

34 1,627
 06-04-2014, 08:16 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
(06-04-2014, 07:24 PM)Giorgio Wrote: For me it depends on the specific razor I'm using, and whether the top or bottom is easier to clean. Sometimes the base plate is easiest to clean, other times I find the top cap easier...really depends...Smile

I wish I was ambitious like some of the other gents and actually clean them off before use...I may have to try that and see if its sustainable for me Biggrin

It is a bit annoying to keep removing wax, I'm sure that's why many of my preferred blades are wax-less like all kinds of Personna's, Kai and even a Super Max titanium in a rush...I really like super Iridiums, also Gillette silver Blue, and have a ton of them, but I use them less than I would if they were free of wax dots. Sad

4 794
 06-05-2014, 07:28 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
The dots haven't affected the blade alignment in the razors I have so I stopped cleaning the wax before loading the blade.

I usually have the wax side face the base plate.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

2 286
 06-05-2014, 07:59 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(06-04-2014, 08:16 PM)LORDBISHOP Wrote: It is a bit annoying to keep removing wax, I'm sure that's why many of my preferred blades are wax-less like all kinds of Personna's, Kai and even a Super Max titanium in a rush...I really like super Iridiums, also Gillette silver Blue, and have a ton of them, but I use them less than I would if they were free of wax dots. Sad

This makes sense... I guess I just haven't found enough wax-less blades that I liked to the point I keep reaching for them instead of Astras and GSBs. That said I am a little ocd about cleaning my razors after each shave... So in all cases I'm breaking them down and wiping off the soap with a towel, so the wax spots just translate into a little firmer wipe and a little more time with the towel in the affected area. Not dealing with them would definitely be a plus, but I guess I'm just so used to it whenever I use my DEs, that it doesn't bother me as much anymore Smile

34 1,627
 06-05-2014, 09:23 AM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
I try to put the dots down -- if I put them up on a TTO I find it tends to stick to the doors when I open the razor.
While I don't mind the spots too much but my preference seems to be leaning more for Personna blades that don't have wax.

2 517
 06-05-2014, 01:06 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Dots? I don't need no stinking dots. Biggrin

[Image: Cx2N4kH.jpg]

179 23,928
 06-06-2014, 02:04 PM
  • SRNewb
  • No. Va, USA
User Info
Doesn't matter to me. Both my razors are TTO, and I have not found any noticeable difference, bearing in mind that a) the wax dots are part of the packaging procedure for certain blades, so I tend to ignore it and just load the blade and shave. And b) therefore I have not kept track of which way I insert the blade.
To me it's a non issue.

2 1,694
 06-07-2014, 04:38 AM
  • Woodeks
  • Space coast, Florida
User Info
For me whatever side of the razor would be easiest to clean gets the waxy side of the blade.

10 104
 06-11-2014, 03:51 AM
User Info
I usually have them face the baseplate. When I'm done with the blade I rinse if the razor and wipe with my towel. This usually removes the wax . If it's stubborn, I'll get the toothbrush and soap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 326