05-14-2012, 06:55 AM
  • Persius
  • On the learning curve
  • Reading, England
User Info
This is my experience: I have been using Personna Platinum Chrome blades for a while now, and was starting to get some half decent results. I started out with Merkur blades & they were a nightmare for me. Likewise, the Gillette 7 o'clock (Yellow) and now it would seem that the Personna Med prep are not good in my hands either.

It has just come to mind that the only blade I have liked has been platinum coated. So, the question is: could there be a reason for this or is this just my mind struggling to impose some sort of correlation? Has anyone else any similar experience?

Why are some blades platinum coated and others not ... ?

1 290
 05-14-2012, 07:06 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
IMHO any coating on a razor blade is so thin that it probably comes off after the first shave. I believe all these coatings are more marketing than anything else.

But, if you feel this type of blade gives you a better shave, I would recommend you try the Gillette 7 O'Clock Blues.

173 23,519
 05-14-2012, 07:24 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
The safety razor history I read said that coatings were invented to extend the life of the blade.

10 1,858
 05-14-2012, 08:32 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Funny, I have the exact opposite experience. For me, those blades marked "Stainless" or "Super Stainless" like Rapiras and Astra SS work best for me while "Platinum" blades feel rougher and tug more.

35 1,732
 05-14-2012, 09:05 AM
User Info
What I've read suggests that the various coatings are intended to reduce friction and thereby increase the comfort and durability of the blades. Obviously, whether or not they do so is still an open question, and YMMV.

184 12,003
 05-14-2012, 11:17 AM
User Info
Platinum coating, according to Gillette, are to strengthen the edge and provide corrosion resistance.

2 697
 05-15-2012, 12:05 PM
User Info
(05-14-2012, 08:32 AM)Tonality Wrote: Funny, I have the exact opposite experience. For me, those blades marked "Stainless" or "Super Stainless" like Rapiras and Astra SS work best for me while "Platinum" blades feel rougher and tug more.

I share the same experience, and prefer the Astra SS aswell.

0 103
 05-15-2012, 12:34 PM
User Info
There may something to this, but I'm a big believer that blades are just finick,y and you just have to use a bunch to feel them all out.

I love Astra Plats. They hit the wheelhouse for me in sharpness, face feel, lifespan, and price. Then I tried the Astra Stainless and they also were wonderful blades. I'd be perfectly happy using either one.

However, when I tried going from Shark Chromes to the Shark Stainless I crashed and burned. While I like the Shark Chromes, the Shark stainless really just were not comfortable to me. Maybe there's more different with them than just the material ( grind perhaps ).

0 252
 05-15-2012, 12:51 PM
User Info
(05-15-2012, 12:34 PM)GeneAut Wrote: However, when I tried going from Shark Chromes to the Shark Stainless I crashed and burned. While I like the Shark Chromes, the Shark stainless really just were not comfortable to me. Maybe there's more different with them than just the material ( grind perhaps ).

That's amazing, Gene. The majority of us -those that like them, I mean- can use either variety with comfort. I bought both in bulk and need not worry about them.

Other brand names have noticeable differences in the various types they offer (e.g. Gillette, and Lord) that need to be discovered by trial-and-error.

0 554
 05-17-2012, 06:44 PM
User Info
(05-15-2012, 12:51 PM)Michael G Wrote:
(05-15-2012, 12:34 PM)GeneAut Wrote: However, when I tried going from Shark Chromes to the Shark Stainless I crashed and burned. While I like the Shark Chromes, the Shark stainless really just were not comfortable to me. Maybe there's more different with them than just the material ( grind perhaps ).

That's amazing, Gene. The majority of us -those that like them, I mean- can use either variety with comfort. I bought both in bulk and need not worry about them.

Other brand names have noticeable differences in the various types they offer (e.g. Gillette, and Lord) that need to be discovered by trial-and-error.

Probably just one of those YMMV things Smile

0 252
 05-17-2012, 07:50 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
I've tried lots of blades and their coatings and for me, it comes down to what's comfortable. Extending a blade's life doesn't mean much to me if they are properly cared for between shaves and won't last longer than 5-6 cycles anyway. I can understand the argument for smoothness of one coating or another but I've never experienced a strong bias from one blade to another. Yep, YMMV.

35 2,703
 05-17-2012, 09:37 PM
User Info
(05-17-2012, 07:50 PM)TexBilly Wrote: I've tried lots of blades and their coatings and for me, it comes down to what's comfortable. Extending a blade's life doesn't mean much to me if they are properly cared for between shaves and won't last longer than 5-6 cycles anyway. I can understand the argument for smoothness of one coating or another but I've never experienced a strong bias from one blade to another. Yep, YMMV.

I agree. Of the 4 blades I use, I couldn't tell you which has what coating, etc. If it feels good, I do it.

9 1,199
 05-18-2012, 04:13 PM
User Info
i have not found that the coated blades work best for me. i, too, have not had luck with the Meds, nor the Labs. Also, Feathers do not work, but i have great results with the Yellows, the Perma-Sharp Supers, Super Iridiums, and Polisilvers.
As long as a blade is smooth and sharp, that is what counts.

75 20,883
 05-18-2012, 07:32 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I believe the idea behind coatings on blades is for the improvement of shaving through reduction in friction and force required to sever the beard hair. The intent of coatings is decreased pull for greater comfort and ease in hair removal. Further, the claim is that the usable life of the cutting edge is prolonged too.

Whether coatings achieve their intended advantages is another question...

91 17,835
 11-16-2014, 08:22 AM
User Info
I am another who seems to find the platinum coated blades work best for me. Astra SPs are my blade, but Nacet plats are good too.
Shark chromes are OK too, but Derbys (multiple coatings) don't work well for my beard.
I read the biography about Gillette and it talked about the revolutionary notion of coating the blades (pioneered by Wilkinson, I believe) leaving most of the un-coated blades in the dust.

"Platinum coatings, according to Gillette, are to strengthen the edge and provide corrosion resistance."

I think that the metal blade coatings (platinum, chromium, and iridium, among others, probably) are intended to achieve a better edge, but some of the other coatings (teflon, polymer, etc.) may be all about comfort and smoothness. Never was YMMV more true than about razor blades.
Euro

5 394
 11-16-2014, 10:18 AM
User Info
I think that the best blade for each face is the most subjective thing in wet-shaving, YMMV at its finest. So try all and you may find some blade that doesn't have a Platinum coating that is even best for you.

As coatings go i also agree with some of what as been said here. The primary objective in coating the blade is making sure it doesn't rust, because of the long self life, and when used to shave the coating helps hold the edge longer, because after the 2nd or 3rd shave the coating is all but gone.

0 193
 11-16-2014, 12:42 PM
  • Mouser
  • Forest City, Florida U.S.A.
User Info
the only constant I've found in blades is that vintage ones are all great to greater. in-production ones are all over the map.

5 2,006
 11-16-2014, 01:17 PM
  • kav
  • Banned
  • east of the sun,west of the moon
User Info
It's ironic. The Merkur HD is often suggested as a first razor ( mine was) and yet one of most universally disliked blades are what a new shaver may buy without warning.I tried the single blade included and almost gave up on wet shaving.
I learned via knife forums there is no magic steel. There are good, and sometimes BAD reasons, ie manufacturing expense for every steel to use in various applications.
The reality, and I suspect this extends to razorblades, is a knife maker will set a specification for a certain steel. The mills produce subtle variations in each run that fall within the parameters. It's like drinking two consecutive vintages of a Pinot Noir from the same winery and expecting the same experience.
Perhaps this is why some blades perform differently. I've owned identical knives from different makers or years ( the classic KBAR, once made by 3 major US and countless knockoffs is an example) that were different creatures in sharpness and retention.)

2 3,171
 11-16-2014, 05:49 PM
User Info
Funny that you mention Merkur blades. They have a high price and are made in Germany, yet they are average at best, mediocre at worst. You would think their ability to fine tune the quality of their blades and maintain a high standard would be superior to those made in Egypt or Russia or India. Yet that doesn't seem to be the case. It's one thing if blades under 10 cents apiece such as Dorco are of average quality. It's another for blades from Germany that sell for 50 to 75 cents even in packs of 100 to be so disappointing.

7 84
 11-17-2014, 06:57 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
(11-16-2014, 05:49 PM)cournot Wrote: Funny that you mention Merkur blades. They have a high price and are made in Germany, yet they are average at best, mediocre at worst. You would think their ability to fine tune the quality of their blades and maintain a high standard would be superior to those made in Egypt or Russia or India. Yet that doesn't seem to be the case. It's one thing if blades under 10 cents apiece such as Dorco are of average quality. It's another for blades from Germany that sell for 50 to 75 cents even in packs of 100 to be so disappointing.

I've always wondered the same thing with regards to Merkur blades and their less than keen edges. Everything you mention, plus the fact that they are manufactured in Solingen the cutlery capital of the world? What gives! I guess it's a perfect example of marketing a DE blade and charging the highest price amongst all DE blades and getting away with selling at least one pack to every new wet shaver. Huh

4 792