06-02-2014, 06:05 PM
User Info
I love it! Did a test lather when I got it today and shaved with it tonight. No issues lathering at all! Love the feel of it on my face and the feel after it's rinsed off. The smell is wonderfully clean. Had a great shave too. Also, the ceramic dish looks awesome on my counter!

For some reason I can't get Mystic Water to lather, so I was really scared about MWF. I'm glad that I can lather it so easily, but MW lather continues to elude me???

21 555
 06-02-2014, 07:33 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I've always said, if I could only have one soap, it would be MWF.

179 23,925
 06-02-2014, 08:36 PM
User Info
Congratulations on the success with The Fat!

Too bad about Mystic Water. I find it a fantastic soap once you get it dialed in.

83 21,109
 06-02-2014, 10:19 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
My only gripe about The Fat is that is dries too quickly on my face. I don't have the same problem with other soaps. I love the clean scent and cushion, though. Very good, but I prefer Tabac and the vintage Floris I'm currently enjoying Smile

0 1,843
 06-02-2014, 10:46 PM
User Info
(06-02-2014, 10:19 PM)Shaun Wrote: My only gripe about The Fat is that is dries too quickly on my face. I don't have the same problem with other soaps. I love the clean scent and cushion, though. Very good, but I prefer Tabac and the vintage Floris I'm currently enjoying Smile

More product and more water. Once the water ratio is nailed down, it shouldn't dry quickly at all.

6 857
 06-02-2014, 10:49 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Tried it. Must be the water here. I'm good at making lather.

0 1,843
 06-03-2014, 02:16 AM
User Info
MWF is my gold standard. All other soaps are measured against it.

6 358
 06-03-2014, 04:55 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
(06-03-2014, 02:16 AM)Aimless1 Wrote: MWF is my gold standard. All other soaps are measured against it.

DITTO!

10 963
 06-03-2014, 05:01 AM
User Info
I've tried some things that were supposed to be better. I will always have more than one puck of MWF so I never run out.
I can run out of the rest Wink

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

6 1,224
 06-03-2014, 05:18 AM
  • tdmsu
  • Banned
  • Metro Detroit
User Info
Congrats on success with MWF!
I recently got some myself and I prefer Tabac by a slight margin due to its scent and sentimental reasons, but in saying that these are the two best soaps I've ever used.

2 447
 06-03-2014, 05:22 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
MWF is great - no doubt about it. My skin is very easily irritated and for a long time - I got my best shaves with MWF.

What gives more protection and even better post shave than MWF? For me - it's MW. It is indeed more work to lather - but the results are fantastic. Certainly worth some experimentation and fine tuning....

17 535
 06-03-2014, 11:13 AM
User Info
I've had no lathering issues with MWF, and it has always provided great shaves, but in all honesty its kind of underwhelming (YMMV of course). I guess I expected more because it has such a rabid fan base, but I've had a puck for a few months now, and I've only reached for it a handful of times. The lather is great, the face-feel is great, the scent is OK, but all that doesn't seem to add up in my mind. Don't get me wrong - if MWF was the only soap available to me I know I could look forward to nothing but great shaves, but there are just so many other soaps I'd pick before. I guess its a shave den staple: everyone should have a puck in their den. When all else fails, it'll be there as it has been for a hundred years. But artisans have stepped up the game so much lately, that I just can't bring myself to have a good lather, with a soft and pleasant scent, when I can have a WOW lather, with a "man-that's-awesome" scent.

6 61
 06-03-2014, 08:24 PM
User Info
(06-03-2014, 11:13 AM)PGHChris Wrote: But artisans have stepped up the game so much lately, that I just can't bring myself to have a good lather, with a soft and pleasant scent, when I can have a WOW lather, with a "man-that's-awesome" scent.

* This is one of the main reasons I love the artisan soaps! Very well stated! Biggrin

83 21,109
 06-04-2014, 06:13 AM
User Info
Glad you liked the MWF! It is one of my favorites.

64 337
 06-04-2014, 09:32 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
(06-03-2014, 11:13 AM)PGHChris Wrote: I've had no lathering issues with MWF, and it has always provided great shaves, but in all honesty its kind of underwhelming (YMMV of course). I guess I expected more because it has such a rabid fan base, but I've had a puck for a few months now, and I've only reached for it a handful of times. The lather is great, the face-feel is great, the scent is OK, but all that doesn't seem to add up in my mind. Don't get me wrong - if MWF was the only soap available to me I know I could look forward to nothing but great shaves, but there are just so many other soaps I'd pick before. I guess its a shave den staple: everyone should have a puck in their den. When all else fails, it'll be there as it has been for a hundred years. But artisans have stepped up the game so much lately, that I just can't bring myself to have a good lather, with a soft and pleasant scent, when I can have a WOW lather, with a "man-that's-awesome" scent.

Chris, my sentiments, exactly. I do use my puck from time to time and MWF is good quality, reliable, and nice to my skin. In fact, I can't really say anything bad about it but the WOW factor just isn't there for me. Will I use up the puck I have now? Yes. Will I replace it when it's gone? I don't know but it's doubtful.

2 11,211
 06-04-2014, 09:41 AM
User Info
(06-03-2014, 11:13 AM)PGHChris Wrote: The lather is great, the face-feel is great, the scent is OK, but all that doesn't seem to add up in my mind.

I would agree. There are many great-lathering shaving soaps available, and a lot of them have better scents, which is important to me. However, the Mitchell's is a good value for its price. I'll use up the puck I have in its nice bowl, but I probably won't buy any more.

207 12,351
 06-04-2014, 11:19 AM
  • Elendil
  • Raggedy man, good night
  • The snow's back.
User Info
I love the stuff, and will always have a back up around.

0 1,137
 06-07-2014, 02:28 PM
  • Stubbl E
  • Lake Tahoe, California
User Info
I rather like the scent of the Mitchell's. It's quite traditional IMO and plenty strong enough without being cloying. But the performance is where Mitchell's trumps just about everything else for me...lovely stuff!

0 567
 06-08-2014, 09:28 PM
User Info
It's a hard soap to lather for many of us.
The scent is like a cheap soap bar
The performance is average compared to other great soaps in my den
The only real deal is the post shave feel, but I get that with my daily Clinique facial cream moisturizer anyway.

I own it, but only when super lathered does it perform well.
It's at the bottom place on a list over my best performing soaps in my collection.
Compared to my 3 Martin De Candre soaps, MWF is just an ordinary average soap to be honest.

24 6,018