06-02-2014, 06:39 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Chaps

This arrived today, which I have dusted off to show you for your enjoyment, and also for archival purposes.

It is a mint-condition Australian Bexyl A12 "Shaving Set" (I have seen reference to the A16 set which contains a razor, but have not seen a picture), comprising Bexyl Soap (no scent other than it's 'soapy'; in a two-component bowl (or is it two bowls?) as you can see; plus the brush that has...nylon bristles...the only synthetic brush I now own. I traced the 1947 date back through an advertisement I located in an Australian newspaper, but it might be even earlier.

Bexyl were known as manufacturers of xylonite (celluloid?) but these components look/smell/feel like bakelite to me. Their products were often stamped "BEX", and many Aussies here will probably have come across BEX products in their time, cups, plates etc.

This is a lovely little set, which I will preserve for posterity. I did lather up with the brush though (doesn't the handle look 'deco'?), as the bristles were dusty (even though there is a plastic cover, but it's not shown in the pictures). Plus the bristles were bent. I call that commonly-found bend 'memory', borrowing from fishing parlance. It actually lathered up well, though highly scritchy.

I wonder when the first nylon bristle brushes were manufactured? Anyone have any clues?

[Image: NzXpKPw.jpg]
[Image: GruUVuq.jpg]
[Image: tH1EfpN.jpg]
[Image: 92FR3pC.jpg]
[Image: VNZpFjU.jpg]
[Image: g1gj6i0.jpg]
[Image: 183EfLr.jpg]
[Image: PPzZ139.jpg]

0 1,846
 06-05-2014, 12:09 PM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
Nice Set! Have you tried the shaving soap?

10 963
 06-05-2014, 03:03 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
Hi there Balaji

No, I'm going to keep this soap as is. It doesn't have anything distinctive about it other than the stamp and age, and I want to preserve it as a rare piece of Australiana. I have many other old soaps which are just great, so not need really to break the set. I like the complete set as it is Smile

Nice to get a comment!

0 1,846
 06-05-2014, 07:22 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
Congratulations, that's a very nice set you have there and in great condition!
It does look like Bakelite but if you rub or wet it and it smells like camphor or pine needles then its celluloid. If the bristles are nylon then it is almost certainly post war.

2 522
 06-05-2014, 08:55 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
I have found a notice in an old Queensland newspaper specifying that British Xylonite Australia Pty Ltd was to erect a new building and factory in 1931 in Melbourne.

A few years later, the following article:

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/...archLimits=

Then this, concerning the use of plastic and nylon by this company. I'd date the brush kit as early as 1946, just being conservative, so my initial guess is right, and Vuk is also on the ball.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/...archLimits=

0 1,846
 06-05-2014, 11:03 PM
User Info
I really like the bowl

2 95
 06-06-2014, 05:28 AM
  • Balj86
  • Maryland USA
User Info
(06-05-2014, 03:03 PM)Shaun Wrote: Hi there Balaji

No, I'm going to keep this soap as is. It doesn't have anything distinctive about it other than the stamp and age, and I want to preserve it as a rare piece of Australiana. I have many other old soaps which are just great, so not need really to break the set. I like the complete set as it is Smile

Nice to get a comment!

No problem! Thats always nice preserve something. Cool that everything matches!

10 963