06-03-2014, 06:59 AM
User Info
Hoping a user of an iKon slant can offer an opinion on the aggressiveness of the iKon compared to the Merkur or Razorock slant products.

I'd like to aquire an iKon slant but it seems a lot to spend on something I may not enjoy using. And yes I know they're pretty, and stainless, yeah yeah and shiny Rolleyes

Bill

0 14
 06-03-2014, 08:01 AM
User Info
(06-03-2014, 06:59 AM)Bladerunner Wrote: Hoping a user of an iKon slant can offer an opinion on the aggressiveness of the iKon compared to the Merkur or Razorock slant products.

I'd like to aquire an iKon slant but it seems a lot to spend on something I may not enjoy using. And yes I know they're pretty, and stainless, yeah yeah and shiny Rolleyes

Bill

I cannot speak to the RR slant as I won't buy RR products, but I can tell you I kept my Merkur 37c and sold off my iKon. I was highly underwhelmed by the iKon for the price. The Merkur isn't flashy or anything like that, but it is an efficient and smooth shaver.

129 6,685
 06-03-2014, 08:21 AM
User Info
(06-03-2014, 08:01 AM)wingdo Wrote: I cannot speak to the RR slant as I won't buy RR products, but I can tell you I kept my Merkur 37c and sold off my iKon. I was highly underwhelmed by the iKon for the price. The Merkur isn't flashy or anything like that, but it is an efficient and smooth shaver.

I thought that you were looking for a RR Stealth (see HERE)??? RazoRock makes some nice products at great prices, and I (as well as most) would say that they are definitely worth more than what they cost. But everyone has their reasons I suppose.

At any rate, I have owned all three at the same time. Until the Stealth came out, the iKon was my favorite slant - I preferred it over the Merkur as I thought is was a smoother, more efficient shaver. My only complaint was that the head was bulky which made under the nose a little bit of a chore. I have since sold my iKon to fund other purchases; once I received the Stealth I really saw no reason to keep the iKon, as the Stealth really is just that good. The only reason I didn't sell the Merkur is because the iKon was more expensive, plain and simple. Don't get me wrong - I like the 37C and I still use it upon occasion, but I think the iKon is a better built, and slightly better performing razor. Obviously my rankings would be:

1. RazoRock Stealth
2. iKon Slant
3. Merkur 37C

However, the gap between 1 and 2 is substantial; less a gap, more a gorge. The gap between 2 and 3 is not very big at all. Is it a $100 worth? Probably not (to me, anyway, YMMV), but I do prefer the iKon over the Merkur. Hope this helps a little.

6 61
 06-03-2014, 08:42 AM
User Info
Ahh yes, I archived that. Things change. Blush

129 6,685
 06-03-2014, 09:06 AM
User Info
(06-03-2014, 08:42 AM)wingdo Wrote: Things change. Blush

They do indeed, my friend. And a lot of times frequently and without good reason.

6 61
 06-03-2014, 09:38 AM
User Info
I do not have the RR slant (yet) but the iKon is smoother but identical in efficiency (for me) vs the Merkur 37c. Both shave very well and get the job done with comfort and ease. There is less blade exposure on the iKon vs the 37c and also a smaller blade gap.

To be honest, the Hoffritz slant is the best shaver of them all in my opinion. It has a larger blade glap than both the iKon slant and 37c and is just as smooth as the iKon. You get the best of both worlds with that one, so long as you can find one for sale and are willing to spend some dough.

69 2,186
 06-03-2014, 10:03 AM
User Info
(06-03-2014, 09:06 AM)PGHChris Wrote:
(06-03-2014, 08:42 AM)wingdo Wrote: Things change. Blush

They do indeed, my friend. And a lot of times frequently and without good reason.

There was a moment of weakness where I thought I'd love to own all the major slants made. Sanity has come back to me. Biggrin

129 6,685
 06-03-2014, 02:12 PM
User Info
I have the iKon slant and love it. My son came for a visit and had to try it and ended up buying a Merkur. There were no more iKons to be had at the time. He said the Merkur was definitely more aggressive but not hard to use and he seems to like it quite a bit.

44 486
 06-03-2014, 02:30 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I own/have owned all three and others also. All three are great, but my favorite is by far the RazoRock. The design, weight and balance left me with a very close, irritation free shave. The Merkur (or in my case Hoffritz) is close in effectiveness and smoothness but ranks just a tad lower. The iKon was effective and smooth, but I felt it was a struggle to align the blade properly and didn't care for the heft.

144 2,749
 06-03-2014, 03:19 PM
User Info
(06-03-2014, 02:30 PM)blzrfn Wrote: I own/have owned all three and others also. All three are great, but my favorite is by far the RazoRock. The design, weight and balance left me with a very close, irritation free shave. The Merkur (or in my case Hoffritz) is close in effectiveness and smoothness but ranks just a tad lower. The iKon was effective and smooth, but I felt it was a struggle to align the blade properly and didn't care for the heft.

Well... I haven't tried the RR slant (however, I accept donations ! Laughing1), but I agree with the opinion above concerning Merkur & iKon. I prefer Merkur over iKon, and I also hate the blade alignment issue on the iKon slant.

But my favourite slant is the German bakelite that I've presented here, and that seems to be the inspiration for the RR slant.

2 5,547
 06-03-2014, 04:56 PM
User Info
I'm not familiar with the the RR, but I do have the Merkur and the iKon. The latter is just too 'bulky' for me. Both are smooth and efficient. JMHO.

2 546
 06-03-2014, 11:41 PM
User Info
(06-03-2014, 08:01 AM)wingdo Wrote:
(06-03-2014, 06:59 AM)Bladerunner Wrote: Hoping a user of an iKon slant can offer an opinion on the aggressiveness of the iKon compared to the Merkur or Razorock slant products.

Bill

I cannot speak to the RR slant as I won't buy RR products, but I can tell you I kept my Merkur 37c and sold off my iKon. I was highly underwhelmed by the iKon for the price. The Merkur isn't flashy or anything like that, but it is an efficient and smooth shaver.

I can echo this, except in my case I actually PREFERRED the Merkur 37c over the ikon. I really wanted to like the ikon, as I like the heavier stainless razors, but I couldn't.

12 848
 06-04-2014, 01:50 AM
User Info
I haven't tried the RR, but I've owned the 37C and the iKon. I kept the iKon; the 37C is slightly more aggressive IMHO. The audible feedback on the iKon is second to none. I prefer it with a 3 inch handle.

42 208
 06-04-2014, 06:23 AM
User Info
I have has both the ikon and 37C. The ikon gave better shaves, however this was only true when care was taken to properly align the blade. Looking forward to trying the stealth slant!

64 337
 06-10-2014, 04:25 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I find the Ikon Slant to be noticeably more aggressive than the 37C.

1 795
 06-10-2014, 06:43 PM
User Info

Bill

A wonderful and generous businessman once told me, if you create products with the intention of appealing to everyone, you are destined to fail; thank you for reminding me of a great lesson and bringing a much needed smile to my face. Smile

3 315
 06-20-2014, 10:08 AM
User Info
(06-10-2014, 06:43 PM)RazoRock_Joe Wrote:

Bill

A wonderful and generous businessman once told me, if you create products with the intention of appealing to everyone, you are destined to fail; thank you for reminding me of a great lesson and bringing a much needed smile to my face. Smile

hi Joe ! you are a true gentleman ! no other response could be better than this. i love your products and looking forward to own a brand new razorock slant. is there any possibility in near future ?

1 495
 06-21-2014, 02:31 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I haven't tried the RR Stealth, but I do hope to acquire one.

I prefer the Merkur over the iKon, but the iKon provided a smoother shave. However, navigating under the nose area with the iKon's high apexed top cap proved too cumbersome for me and hence it left while the Merkur remained.

I'm looking forward to trying the new iKon Shave Craft slant when it is released.

99 18,011
 06-21-2014, 02:47 AM
User Info
(06-21-2014, 02:31 AM)ben74 Wrote: I haven't tried the RR Stealth, but I do hope to acquire one.

I prefer the Merkur over the iKon, but the iKon provided a smoother shave. However, navigating under the nose area with the iKon's high apexed top cap proved too cumbersome for me and hence it left while the Merkur remained.

I'm looking forward to trying the new iKon Shave Craft slant when it is released.
new ikon slant was scheduled to be released in mid june but there is no sign on their website !

1 495
 06-21-2014, 02:50 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(06-21-2014, 02:47 AM)buddingshaver Wrote: new ikon slant was scheduled to be released in mid june but there is no sign on their website !

Greg tends not to list items on his website until they are ready for sale. I'm sure he will give us a heads up in the vendor section (and social media) when they are released.

99 18,011