06-05-2014, 11:06 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Someone help me please...I just can't get why people like the smell of sawdust on their face? I'm having a really hard time understanding why wet-shavers relish the scent of wood in their soaps and creams?

Can someone explain it to me?

74 1,509
 06-05-2014, 11:14 AM
User Info
I feel like enjoyment of scents is subjective. I don't enjoy "Bay Rum" at all. Bay rum scents don't appeal to me but I don't question how other people can like bay rum scents. I also don't love fruit or citrus scents.

Wood smells awesome to me. Teak, Cedar, Sandalwood, etc. I love woody scents. I also love Floral scents. Lavender, Rose, Violet, etc.

I'm not sure anyone can explain this better than scent enjoyment is completely subjective.

32 344
 06-05-2014, 11:20 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Fragrance is supposedly strongly tied to memories. I enjoy woodsy and outdoorsy scents immensely, but that could be related to my love of the outdoors and growing up camping and hiking in the Pacific NW.

144 2,751
 06-05-2014, 11:20 AM
User Info
Well I don't know If this will help but I'm a Carpenter by trade even after 55 years I still love the smell of shavings when planing a door or working with a nice piece of fresh pine, the nicest bathing and face soap around I've found is L'Occitane Cedarwood another is traditional Mysore Indian Sandalwood Bath soap.

11 1,940
 06-05-2014, 11:34 AM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
(06-05-2014, 11:20 AM)blzrfn Wrote: Fragrance is supposedly strongly tied to memories. I enjoy woodsy and outdoorsy scents immensely, but that could be related to my love of the outdoors and growing up camping and hiking in the Pacific NW.

That's just it...I LOVE the outdoors. I grew up in a wooded area in Arkansas with Aspen and Alder, along with Mesquite, and Redwood. I've always volunteered with the Scouts for outings and backpacking trips, but for some reason I just can't wrap my head around it when I'm shaving. Maybe it's because I haven't smelled a variety of fine woods?

I'm not on a witch hunt, I'm on a discovery...help me realize the wood scent fetish. i'll have to try those L'Occitane and other soaps...

74 1,509
 06-05-2014, 11:46 AM
User Info
I have hiked the canyons and backwoods of the Desert Southwest and Pacific Northwest. Take a deep breath at Frying Pan Creek in Mount Rainier National Park or on Bright Angel Trail in the Grand Canyon National Park and you will understand why I love the woodsy scents...brings back a lot of fond memories of wonderful times spent in beautiful, unique scenery.

22 752
 06-05-2014, 12:31 PM
  • Stubbl E
  • Lake Tahoe, California
User Info
I'm not much of perfume guy generally and scent is waaay down the list in terms of what I want from a product, but I've been working my way through a batch of DIY witch-hazel AS I infused with a few fresh cedar sprigs a few months ago, and I'm finding the scent to be very nice. Subtle and fresh.

0 567
 06-05-2014, 12:36 PM
User Info
(06-05-2014, 11:20 AM)blzrfn Wrote: Fragrance is supposedly strongly tied to memories. I enjoy woodsy and outdoorsy scents immensely, but that could be related to my love of the outdoors and growing up camping and hiking in the Pacific NW.

+1 Nailed it. For me it's hiking in Norwegian pine forests and working in the woodshop.

3 4,491
 06-05-2014, 12:49 PM
User Info
Well, what everyone already wrote.

I've always loved the scent of wood, the woods, and forest, especially conifers; since I was a child.

Scent association is a very powerful stimulus. I was driving north after 24 hours in the state of my birth; 24 hours was more than enough BTW. Anyway, I crossed the bridge over the Piscataqua river (I think that's the river) into Maine and drove just a few miles north and the smell of the pines was intoxicating. I knew I was home from the exquisite scent in the air. Even though it was deep winter and way below frigid outside I rolled down the windows to drink it in. I knew then why Maine is "The Pine Tree State". Think the scent of pine is one of my favorites? You betcha.

When I'm down in southern Maine and heading north I'll pop in the "Classical Schooner Fare" CD and by the time I'm smelling the salt water of Portland the "Atlantic Suite" is playing and emotion is running high because I know I'm getting that much closer. There's no more powerful stimulus for emotion than to couple scent and music. Think the scent of salt water is one of my favorites? Absolutely! From when I was a child on the Jersey shore. When one is near salt water it's unmistakable.

The scent of wood and salt are favorites.

Bay Rum? For me when I smell Pimenta Racemosa, the smell is a complex and heady mix of spices, and not one that I dislike. But I do a lot of cooking and for me that just rings my bell. Again, association with something very pleasant.

Would everyone have the associations I have? Absolutely not.

I can take or leave rose scent. I love Iris and Mimosa (Jasmine too, can't figure that). Not everyone will.

The sense of smell is quite remarkable and quite individual.

FWIW, I've never encountered a (for instance) pine scented soap. Who has such a thing? Or were you meaning sandalwood?

32 6,459
 06-05-2014, 06:45 PM
  • grantmm
  • Friend of the Badgers
  • Draper, Utah
User Info
Also from the Bellingham, Gig Harbor and Lake Tapps areas growing up. Love the scent of cedar and pine. When I drive back to WA, I always try to go through 410 and Rainier National Forest. My preference for sandalwood doesn't seem to come from that though. I just associate the woodsy scent to being what a man should smell like. My few perfumey and citrus scented soaps that I have purchased lately have fallen short of my expectations of scent. The scent descriptions almost always said spicy and manly types of phrases.

Then again, I love the lavender smell of the scented MdC...

10 757
 06-05-2014, 07:19 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info

Dave,

I thought hard while at work about what you said about scent memories, and when I got home I opened up and sniffed some of the wood scented soaps I realized that it is just a component of SOME scents that I don't like...It was a familiar scent and as I worked my way through my soaps I identified the scent as clay.

In my grandma's back acreage she had a shallow river that wound down into a bottom of standing water with a clay bog on one end, and when I was around 5 I fell into it...The scent of the Clay invokes a complete sense of dread...a foreboding, a feeling of impending doom - you see, when I fell in I went face first and got a bunch of that thick gooey clay right up my sniffer...I was stuck in it and sinking and had there not been low Alder branches I'd have likely ended up a fossil...luckily I was able to "swim' my way out.

My first smell of AoS Sandalwood, which I got in a trade really offended me...it almost made me sick to my stomach. I hadn't thought that the scent evoked a flash-back of dreadful, fear laden memories in me until just this evening after smelling a soap with Bentonite clay...it immediately invoked the same sickness and feelings...

It's no wonder I don't like spa's, and salons...I could not go within smelling distance of the bog for at least 20 years...even now when we go back there to visit I avoid the bog...My 7-yo son LOVES to play there and catch frogs and salamanders, but I stay on the periphery reluctantly there only to help if needed.

I am fearful of the place...so anything that remotely reminds of it I shun...MdC has a component to it which affected me this way, as did AoS Sandalwood and all their soaps in general...some Yardley also had that component as did Gibbs No 53, and an old Gillette soap I found from Brazil.

Whether they actually had clay in them or not I don't know, but they did have the clay scent, which apparently is recognizable enough to scare me away. I thought it was the wood scent, but there are plenty of Fougere's in my den that are woodsy that do not affect me like this. My favorite soap is St James Cedar and Clary sage, which is about the woodiest soap you can smell, yet this is a superb smelling product.

I was really wondering why I didn't like them and now I know why...perhaps it's time for me to face my fears? Maybe next trip I'll suit up and go into the bog with my son...maybe it's time for some new scent memories?

This has been an interesting day! Thanks for helping me figure this out!

74 1,509
 06-05-2014, 07:47 PM
User Info
(06-05-2014, 07:19 PM)Crag Wrote:

Dave,

I thought hard while at work about what you said about scent memories, and when I got home I opened up and sniffed some of the wood scented soaps I realized that it is just a component of SOME scents that I don't like...It was a familiar scent and as I worked my way through my soaps I identified the scent as clay.

In my grandma's back acreage she had a shallow river that wound down into a bottom of standing water with a clay bog on one end, and when I was around 5 I fell into it...The scent of the Clay invokes a complete sense of dread...a foreboding, a feeling of impending doom - you see, when I fell in I went face first and got a bunch of that thick gooey clay right up my sniffer...I was stuck in it and sinking and had there not been low Alder branches I'd have likely ended up a fossil...luckily I was able to "swim' my way out.

My first smell of AoS Sandalwood, which I got in a trade really offended me...it almost made me sick to my stomach. I hadn't thought that the scent evoked a flash-back of dreadful, fear laden memories in me until just this evening after smelling a soap with Bentonite clay...it immediately invoked the same sickness and feelings...

It's no wonder I don't like spa's, and salons...I could not go within smelling distance of the bog for at least 20 years...even now when we go back there to visit I avoid the bog...My 7-yo son LOVES to play there and catch frogs and salamanders, but I stay on the periphery reluctantly there only to help if needed.

I am fearful of the place...so anything that remotely reminds of it I shun...MdC has a component to it which affected me this way, as did AoS Sandalwood and all their soaps in general...some Yardley also had that component as did Gibbs No 53, and an old Gillette soap I found from Brazil.

Whether they actually had clay in them or not I don't know, but they did have the clay scent, which apparently is recognizable enough to scare me away. I thought it was the wood scent, but there are plenty of Fougere's in my den that are woodsy that do not affect me like this. My favorite soap is St James Cedar and Clary sage, which is about the woodiest soap you can smell, yet this is a superb smelling product.

I was really wondering why I didn't like them and now I know why...perhaps it's time for me to face my fears? Maybe next trip I'll suit up and go into the bog with my son...maybe it's time for some new scent memories?

This has been an interesting day! Thanks for helping me figure this out!

Wow, this has got to be one of the most interesting comments I've seen in a while. It is amazing the emotional connection to scent! Glad you figured it out and good luck on those new scent memories!

6 36
 06-05-2014, 08:10 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
That's some deep thought Matt. I wonder if you are able to come to peace with the marsh if you will better tolerate these shaving soaps of if subconsciously that will be tough to overcome as well. I wonder if we have any psychologists that would share their opinions or experience with us.

144 2,751
 06-06-2014, 03:33 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I had my son sniff the soaps with Clay and he said they smelled like Old Dirt - Biggrin

Last evening...I took a long walk off the beaten path down by the river near my home, but since we have virtually no clay I didn't get any of the feelings I had uncovered yesterday. I dreamt about the bog last night and awoke covered in sweat...It amazes me now at 47 just how deeply something that happened 45-years ago could affect me. I am amazed at how it manifest itself in my morning ritual. the one thing that I look forward to for myself, every day...yet, there had sometimes been a feeling of foreboding... The Human psyche is a mystery to me...

We are going back "home" to Arkansas in July...I've already told my son we are going to catch us some bull-frogs (He calls the legs "chicken") ...anyway...I look forward to the trip...sort of...haha

74 1,509
 06-06-2014, 04:27 PM
User Info
Matt, best of luck overcoming that challenging experience and I hope you do succeed. Best of luck to you and go in with peace and serenity.
Soon enough, you'll be using more woodsy scented soaps. Biggrin

83 21,077
 06-13-2014, 09:40 AM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
I think it brings out the caveman in the consumer. Watch what happens when someone comes up with a cave scent. I know I'll be there!

1 795
 06-16-2014, 05:03 PM
User Info
The woods scents are my favorite. I always enjoy a nice sandalwood soap. And for the most part I don't care for the floral or fruity smells. However I do like lemon. I couldn't tell you why. It's just the way it is.

Sent from my iPhone

2 55