06-07-2014, 10:49 AM
User Info
Several weeks ago I bought an air cleaner filter for my Explorer and while checking out the cashier told about a rebate offer and I should take advantage of it. When I got home I realized it was for only $2 but what the heck $2 in my pocket. I went online and completed the process and was told it would take several weeks for me to get my rebate. Last night I received a conformation email congratulating me on the fact my rebate was officially approved and I should be getting my $2 GIFT CARD in about another 2-3 weeks.
I can't waitSmile

149 14,386
 06-07-2014, 10:50 AM
User Info
Whoo boy. A $2 gift card to spend at your Ford dealer....

251 14,750
 06-07-2014, 11:53 AM
User Info
(06-07-2014, 10:50 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: Whoo boy. A $2 gift card to spend at your Ford dealer....

Actually the part was bought at Advance Auto Parts so I am hoping its a Visa gift card. I am not going to get a lot of sleep until it arrives.

149 14,386
 06-07-2014, 01:59 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I am fed up with these "rebates" that are really debit cards. When I got a new phone recently, I was told that I would have to pay the full price, even though it was advertised for $50.00 less, but that a rebate would be sent to me. I planned on putting the rebate back into savings. What I got was a $50.00 debit card that cannot be used to get cash and must be used in a certain time frame. This, to me, in no way constitutes a rebate. A rebate is a partial return of cash.

2 5,000
 06-07-2014, 02:49 PM
User Info
(06-07-2014, 01:59 PM)freddy Wrote: I am fed up with these "rebates" that are really debit cards. When I got a new phone recently, I was told that I would have to pay the full price, even though it was advertised for $50.00 less, but that a rebate would be sent to me. I planned on putting the rebate back into savings. What I got was a $50.00 debit card that cannot be used to get cash and must be used in a certain time frame. This, to me, in no way constitutes a rebate. A rebate is a partial return of cash.
I totally agree with you Freddy but there is an easy solution. Next time you go food shopping using the debit card toward your purchase and then take the $50 and deposit into savings. I know its a pain but what choice is there?

149 14,386
 06-07-2014, 03:57 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Jerry, the card may not be used to get cash anywhere and, as you point out, your solution is cumbersome at best. To me, this is nothing more than bait and switch on the part of vendors.

2 5,000
 06-07-2014, 08:07 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, you can use the debit card at the grocery store for a $50 purchase and keep your cash in your pocket or your savings. In other words, use the debit card instead of your cash.

Or, you can use the debit card online to make a purchase from Phil. Wink

189 26,328
 06-08-2014, 04:36 AM
User Info
(06-07-2014, 08:07 PM)Johnny Wrote: Well, you can use the debit card at the grocery store for a $50 purchase and keep your cash in your pocket or your savings. In other words, use the debit card instead of your cash.

Exactly

149 14,386
 06-08-2014, 10:38 AM
  • wingdo
  • The Dude Abides
  • Florida
User Info
(06-07-2014, 08:07 PM)Johnny Wrote: Well, you can use the debit card at the grocery store for a $50 purchase and keep your cash in your pocket or your savings. In other words, use the debit card instead of your cash.

I've run into issues where I've gone in with a Verizon $50 rebate Visa card and bought say $80 worth of items and have been told I could not split payments between two cards or one card and cash. You also run into issues making purchases under the $50 point unless you are *really* good at remembering exactly how much is on the card. Most retailers who give the rebate cards are counting on your leaving some small amounts of money sitting on the card until it expires.

Usually I just go to a gas station take the card inside and ask for $50 on pump xx. It's one way to guarantee using the card all up at one time.

129 4,001
 06-08-2014, 11:18 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
(06-08-2014, 10:38 AM)wingdo Wrote:

I've run into issues where I've gone in with a Verizon $50 rebate Visa card and bought say $80 worth of items and have been told I could not split payments between two cards or one card and cash. You also run into issues making purchases under the $50 point unless you are *really* good at remembering exactly how much is on the card. Most retailers who give the rebate cards are counting on your leaving some small amounts of money sitting on the card until it expires.

Usually I just go to a gas station take the card inside and ask for $50 on pump xx. It's one way to guarantee using the card all up at one time.

Guys, while all of these will work to some degree, it's the idea that I am forced to spend in a way I might not want that I find dishonest. I should not have to jump through hoops to get back money that is promised. A debit card forces one to spend and, as Doug has pointed out, the big businesses out there, like Verizon and Visa, know it's in their interest, not the customer's, because many will not be able to milk the full amount out of the card. The advertising these entities put out makes it look as if they're the salt of the earth. Either charge less for the phone up front or send me that rebate in a check that I can take to the bank.

2 5,000
 06-08-2014, 01:21 PM
User Info
What is much worse then a Visa gift card is a gift card from Amazon which only allows you to use it online with Amazon merchants. Most businesses allow you to split payment methods that is a gift card and lets say a debit card.
I only posted this thread because I thought the amount of $2 was funny and not to be taken seriously.

149 14,386
 06-08-2014, 01:59 PM
  • wingdo
  • The Dude Abides
  • Florida
User Info
$2 can't even get you half a gallon of gas here (just paid $4.65 a gallon at a Citgo no less). I never even bother to fill out those "rebates" more hassle than they are worth.

129 4,001
 06-28-2014, 11:01 AM
User Info
I got my big rebate today and it turns out to be a gift card only valid at Advance Auto. At least I didn't have to spend on postage to mail something in.

149 14,386
 06-28-2014, 11:09 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
User Info
Ridiculous. As you say though, Jerry, it cost you nothing.

By the way, I used up that $50.00 Verizon rebate card to the penny! I purchased a couple of things I needed from Amazon and there was only 12¢ left on the card. A few days later, I had to get a $4.00 prescription at the pharmacy. Feeling a little foolish, I asked the young lady behind the counter if I could use the card for 12¢ and pay the rest in cash. She said I could and when I told her why she looked at me and said, "ABSOLUTELY!" It seems young people hate being taken advantage of just as much as an old curmudgeon like me. Biggrin

2 5,000
 06-28-2014, 11:11 AM
  • wingdo
  • The Dude Abides
  • Florida
User Info
(06-28-2014, 11:09 AM)freddy Wrote: Ridiculous. As you say though, Jerry, it cost you nothing.

By the way, I used up that $50.00 Verizon rebate card to the penny! I purchased a couple of things I needed from Amazon and there was only 12¢ left on the card. A few days later, I had to get a $4.00 prescription at the pharmacy. Feeling a little foolish, I asked the young lady behind the counter if I could use the card for 12¢ and pay the rest in cash. She said I could and when I told her why she looked at me and said, "ABSOLUTELY!" It seems young people hate being taken advantage of just as much as an old curmudgeon like me. Biggrin

No one likes being taken advantage of.

129 4,001