06-07-2014, 01:36 PM
User Info
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this question. If not, please accept my apologies and delete this thread. The question comes from one of my clients who asked if a nylon travel brush will give the same shave as his premium Silvertip brush. Not having any experience with nylon brushes, I had to say that I don't know, but would ask around.

Would any of you guys mind sharing your thoughts?

Thanks much!

2 610
 06-07-2014, 02:01 PM
User Info
First, there are no grading standards, AT ALL, among brushes. Accordingly, simply stating that a brush is "premium silvertip" or nylon (synthetic), unfortunately conveys very little information.

As such, the simple answer to your question is, it depends.

For a more in-depth answer, I would begin by stating that generally most people prefer badger brushes over most synthetic brushes. Personal brush preferences also vary widely (e.g., some prefer much firmer brushes).

However, synthetic brushes have been improving rapidly in recent years, and some are quite good and even better than some badger brushes. For instance, I used to swear by my soft silertips brushes, and felt that synthetic brushes were just too firm and "springy." However, I just recently purchased a L'Occitane Cade synthetic brush by Plisson, and have been extremely impressed.

If you client chooses to purchase a top-quality synthetic like a Muhle Silvertip Fibre or Plisson, he may find that he likes it just as much, if not more than, his silvertip brush.

0 386
 06-07-2014, 02:10 PM
User Info
(06-07-2014, 02:01 PM)branford Wrote: First, there are no grading standards, AT ALL, among brushes. Accordingly, simply stating that a brush is "premium silvertip" or nylon (synthetic), unfortunately conveys very little information.

As such, the simple answer to your question is, it depends.

For a more in-depth answer, I would begin by stating that generally most people prefer badger brushes over most synthetic brushes. Personal brush preferences also vary widely (e.g., some prefer much firmer brushes).

However, synthetic brushes have been improving rapidly in recent years, and some are quite good and even better than some badger brushes. For instance, I used to swear by my soft silertips brushes, and felt that synthetic brushes were just too firm and "springy." However, I just recently purchased a L'Occitane Cade synthetic brush by Plisson, and have been extremely impressed.

If you client chooses to purchase a top-quality synthetic like a Muhle Silvertip Fibre or Plisson, he may find that he likes it just as much, if not more than, his silvertip brush.

+1 The only way your client will find out is to try one. The Muhle and Plisson synthetic brushes might be the best candidates.

83 21,077
 06-07-2014, 02:35 PM
User Info
Thanks much, guys. This is helpful. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

2 610
 06-08-2014, 01:47 PM
User Info
Dittos what's already been written (mostly). But as far as preferring silvertip... If someone expects badger, well, a synthetic isn't badger, it's it's own "animal".

Just like a Ferrari and a family van are different. Which is better?

I like them both, but they require different techniques to get the most out of either. It would be wrong to use a synthetic as though it was a badger and expect it to work, and vice versa. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to make a synthetic work, just different techniques. The most glaring change (IMO) is not to pre wet the brush. I'd always cuss myself out when I was learning to use a synthetic and did that. I'd dry it off and pull out another synthetic. That was the fastest fix IMO.

For a travel brush there is no better brush than a synthetic IMO. It would be my first choice in a travel brush. It can take abuse that no natural fiber brush can survive for very long. Send your clients here if they want to learn how to use their synthetic brush. As with natural fiber brushes the various synthetics feel different in use and there is no standard.

Today synthetics are extremely good. While a badger isn't a synthetic, badgers do almost come up to the level of todays better synthetics. (Notice how I did that? That comparison was done deliberately that way not to create dissention, but only to point out the way comparisons can work and to point out prejudices for one fiber compared to another.) :-)

32 6,459