06-07-2014, 09:58 PM
User Info
dear fellow TSN members ! i am in search of a razor upgrade.
currently i am having Merkur 33C, Edwin Jagger DE89LBL and Merkur Progress. both 33C and DE89 feel comfortable in the first pass ( WTG ) but cause some irritation in the subsequent 2nd ( XTG ) and 3rd touch up passes ( especially on the neck area ). progress gives me desired results ( on 2,1,+ settings for respective passes. + on mine is 0 ) but not consistently, maybe because of uneven blade gap. i do ensure to align the given marks on the head but it proves futile sometimes. i have tried a few blades which are available here in India and Super max platinum plus suits me best so far. these issues drove me to search another razor which can satisfy me. your suggestions would be highly appreciated. thanx in advance !

1 495
 06-08-2014, 03:56 AM
User Info
The Progress like most adjustable razors can be a bit of a trail and error thing the 34C HD Merkur is a fine razor which I use among others it gives a fine shave on me with little or no irritation

0 19
 06-08-2014, 11:30 AM
User Info
I am not sure how long you have been at this, but it sounds more like an issue with technique. Once you get more practice and, possibly, find your preferred blade, you should not be having this issues persist, any longer.
Why are you having such a difficult time aligning the Progress? I have never had any issues aligning the notch on the top plate with the notch on the bottom plate/handle. Are you just having problems seeing the top notch?
If you are having blade alignment issues, then there may be something wrong with your razor as I have had 3 Progresses and have never had an issue. You could contact the retailer you bought it from and inform them of this.

I don't think you will find a much milder razor than the Progress set at 0 or 1. All of these razors are fairly mild.
If you need a milder razor, some of the older Gillette Superspeeds are quite mild.
Best of luck to you.

83 21,115
 06-08-2014, 01:13 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Sudhir, I find the Edwin Jagger/Muehle and Merkur fixed-head razors a bit on the aggressive side, also. My Merkur Progress has the Mer modification, which includes a metal end-piece and calibration for consistent settings. This "Mergress" at minimum ("+") setting is both gentle to the skin and amazingly effective as a shaver. I haven't used a standard Progress, so I'm not sure what problems you would be having with yours.

- Murray

4 1,150
 06-08-2014, 01:40 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
So Sudhir, I try to order a nice variety pack of blades assuming you havent already and first choose a couple "go to" blades for you...whatever gives you the best results, even if not perfect yet. I'd also recommend working on technique like others above have suggested, really concentrate on a smooth shave, rigid wrist with LESS than zero pressure to start with and adjust from there. The only razors I know of that are less aggressive than a Progress on setting 1 or less would be a Feather AS-D1, maybe D2 and some older Gillettes like the Superspeeds Celestino mentioned above. A wild card for you may be the Razorock Slant that should be very efficient and has positive reviews noting mild aggressiveness. I've heard many like a nice light touch w/ the RR Slant for smoooooth results.

4 794
 06-08-2014, 02:08 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
The Merkur 1904 open comb razor is very mild and provides an excellent shave.

179 23,946
 06-08-2014, 02:10 PM
User Info
Hello Sudhir,
I agree with Celestino and come down on the side of technique. One of my razors is the Mühle R89, which is the same as your DE89. Sturdy, well-made, forgiving (if you will) razor. I was getting a great deal of irritation and the members of this forum really encouraged me to address my technique. In this day and age, unless you get a lemon, the name brand razors are uniformly well produced and hold the blade securely and at the correct angle.
What I learned is that my beard grows in many different directions, so when you begin a WTG pass on your cheeks, that direction may be shaving ATG on your neck.
Learn how your hair grows and when you shave WTG, make certain that you adjust your direction accordingly depending where you are on your face.
Resist the urge to push, the DE89 is a hefty tool and with the correct blade will remove the hair. Good luck.
~~~
Primo

39 3,956
 06-08-2014, 02:30 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
I don't know how much time and experience Sudhir has with a DE razor, so I don't know if his issue is technique, or not. If he does have sensitive skin, as I do, the EJ and Merkur fixed-head razors may be too aggressive, as they are for me. I've been at this for a good long time and I know that my issue is sensitive skin and not technique. If Sudhir is new at this, technique may be the issue. (He is new to this forum, but he may not be new to traditional wetshaving.) If his technique is reasonably developed, the issue may be sensitive skin and he may need to look for a milder razor.

I'm observing that there seems to be a trend in preferences towards more aggressive razors, and that what we once considered "moderate" is now considered "mild." When I first came to these forums, some eight years ago, a Gillette Super Speed was considered moderate and a Gillette Tech was mild. By that standard, an EJ/Muehle is clearly moderate and not mild. I have very sensitive skin, so for me the EJ is too aggressive for regular use - a Merkur fixed-head, even more so. This is hard for some to imagine, but it is true for some of us.

- Murray

4 1,150
 06-08-2014, 07:01 PM
User Info
(06-08-2014, 02:10 PM)primotenore Wrote: Hello Sudhir,
I agree with Celestino and come down on the side of technique. One of my razors is the Mühle R89, which is the same as your DE89. Sturdy, well-made, forgiving (if you will) razor. I was getting a great deal of irritation and the members of this forum really encouraged me to address my technique. In this day and age, unless you get a lemon, the name brand razors are uniformly well produced and hold the blade securely and at the correct angle.
What I learned is that my beard grows in many different directions, so when you begin a WTG pass on your cheeks, that direction may be shaving ATG on your neck.
Learn how your hair grows and when you shave WTG, make certain that you adjust your direction accordingly depending where you are on your face.
Resist the urge to push, the DE89 is a hefty tool and with the correct blade will remove the hair. Good luck.
~~~
Primo
this is exactly what is with me. my beard grows in different directions especially on the neck area. thanks for highlighting this. i will keep this in mind while shaving next time. thanx again.

thanks everyone for the insight and advise. i will try to correct my technique in the next shaves. if the problem continues then only i will go for a razor upgrade.

1 495
 06-08-2014, 08:45 PM
User Info
It gets easier every shave. Enjoy.
Nirvana is only a shave away...

39 3,956