User Info
[Image: bd8988c918c3cec7ae3075dd71c9d544.jpg]

Paella

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0 465
 06-20-2017, 05:03 AM
User Info
A feast for the eyes Carlos!

I'm still working on leftovers to get room in the refrigerator.

But next up is char sui pork I think. That recipe uses the oven, but I dislike using the oven for things like that (fat spatter and the cleanup) so I'll probably make it outside in the charcoal grill/smoker.

But I have options with the pork butt if I don't make the char sui. I have some achiote paste on order, so I can also make pork pibil if it arrives in time. If not pork then chicken pibil. But pibil is definitely on the menu soon.

32 6,403
 06-20-2017, 06:19 AM
User Info
(06-20-2017, 05:03 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: A feast for the eyes Carlos!

I'm still working on leftovers to get room in the refrigerator.

But next up is char sui pork I think. That recipe uses the oven, but I dislike using the oven for things like that (fat spatter and the cleanup) so I'll probably make it outside in the charcoal grill/smoker.

But I have options with the pork butt if I don't make the char sui. I have some achiote paste on order, so I can also make pork pibil if it arrives in time. If not pork then chicken pibil. But pibil is definitely on the menu soon.

Dear Shadow;

Thanks for the inspiration. Its been a while since i dont make char sui. I make that at home, and the hoisin too. My mouth is watering as i write this!

The pibil is new to me (in the kitchen i mean). I will study up. I am sorry that you have to order achiote. It is readily available here in Puerto Rico, since it is part of our national dishes. If you ever are in need, let me know. I will gladly send you the real thing.

Best regards,

Pepe Peña

0 465
 06-20-2017, 09:53 AM
User Info
Thanks for the offer Pepe! I might take you up on it.

This is what I ordered: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BE6...=UTF8&th=1

How did I do? They had another one that had fake color and I don't know what else. I saw the red dye #10 or whatever it was and stopped reading the ingredient list .

I'm new to food from the Yucatan but the fast chicken pibil sounded good to me. I think as long as I make their food without cilantro I'm good. Neither the wife or I can tolerate cilantro (it tastes like soap to us), but we like coriander. Strange, huh?

Let me get you the recipe. It uses chicken  and I might just stick with the recipe as written the first time and forego the pork idea. I suspect the pork version will be a long cook to break down the pork and make it shred.

https://patijinich.com/recipe/fast-track...-sandwich/

32 6,403
 06-20-2017, 10:04 AM
User Info
(06-20-2017, 09:53 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Thanks for the offer Pepe! I might take you up on it.

This is what I ordered: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BE6...=UTF8&th=1

How did I do? They had another one that had fake color and I don't know what else. I saw the red dye #10 or whatever it was and stopped reading the ingredient list .

I'm new to food from the Yucatan but the fast chicken pibil sounded good to me. I think as long as I make their food without cilantro I'm good. Neither the wife or I can tolerate cilantro (it tastes like soap to us), but we like coriander. Strange, huh?

Let me get you the recipe. It uses chicken  and I might just stick with the recipe as written the first time and forego the pork idea. I suspect the pork version will be a long cook to break down the pork and make it shred.

https://patijinich.com/recipe/fast-track...-sandwich/

Dear Shadow;

That product you order will do its purpose. But its a little like saying that Chef Boyardee is pasta. Well, it is. Specially for my generation. But is processed and packaged etc. PM me a mailing address and i will send you the real spice. Not everybody does it anymore, but i remember my grandma used to put achiote seeds in a crystal jar full of olive oil. And that is real mcoy!

If you are able to get your hands in fresh cilantro, you may change your your view of it. I suspect you are using the dried stuff.

Finally, i am not from Yucatan, but the pibil thing was created around cochinita. In other words, pig. Chicken is delicious also, but the real thing is the pork.

Keep in touch!

Best regards,

Pepe Peña

0 465
 06-20-2017, 10:39 AM
User Info
When I write cilantro I mean the freshly grown stuff; to my knowledge I've never even seen dry cilantro, but the fresh is in every market and grows easily even in here in Maine. I've even grown it myself, just once, and I deliberately let it go to seed for the coriander (that was the goal). To us it's just a horrible soap taste. But lots of Americans find it to be a polarizing flavor. It's either liked or despised, there appears to be no in between. I can tolerate and even like the taste as long as it's a flavor that's used very sparingly and way in the background, but for my taste buds it gets far too strong way too fast. Most people over do it for me.

Sure I'd like to try the real achiote. Thanks a miliion! Homemade is always better. If I like it and I see no reason I won't, I'll learn to make my own, or ask you for the recipe :-) . Years ago I worked with folks from The Dom' Republic, and PR, and I know they cooked with annotto, if not achiote paste. They'd feed me at times and I always liked what they made. (they never used cilantro or I would have tasted it). In fact the first Platino Verde I ever tasted 40 + years ago, was cooked right there in the shop. Just delicious!

I hear you about the pork version. If we like the chicken version I'm certain that we'll like the pork. First things first though. Right now the chicken version would be easier since it shreds so readily. It'll allow me to easily gauge the taste. I can see it being used on many things and not just on a bun as a sandwich. I need to plant some epizote. I love the flavor with Mexican food and I can't buy it anywhere, but can buy the seeds.

32 6,403