07-05-2017, 01:26 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
A Sad Annual Passage

Local Northern Willamette Valley strawberries, freshly picked, are an experience that most of the world never gets an opportunity to experience.  In any given strawberry patch, the season for Hood strawberries or Totem strawberries (different season by a couple of weeks) is about three days, maximum.  If it rains during that short window, a year's crop is gone forever.  Moreover, because they are so full of moisture, the picked strawberries have a short shelf life and do not travel well, so you have to be very near to where thay are grown to taste them.  

Every year, at some point between mid-June and the first week in July, the last of the Totems (which are a bit later than the Hoods) are picked, and that's it for another year.  This year was a late year, and we bought the last of the last, less than an hour off the vine, at a farmstand Sunday afternoon.  This morning's breakfast was the end of this year's glimpse of Heaven:  

[Image: MiDiQ2Z.jpg]

0 1,035
 07-05-2017, 01:50 PM
User Info
Freshly picked, locally grown strawberries are indeed a delicious delicacy.  In South Florida, due to the summer heat, the growing season is in the winter.  Our strawberry season runs from December to March, and we have various farms within an hour of Miami where we can pick our own.

43 5,521
 07-05-2017, 02:32 PM
User Info
Looks good Mel.

I'm the worst offender for not posting pix.

Tonight skirt steak and flank steak and lots of it for leftovers of various types. Grilled and cherry smoked. I had a deck of cards sized amount with asparagus.

32 6,424
 07-05-2017, 04:42 PM
  • Mel S Meles
  • On the edge, ouch
  • 44.4899° south of the North Pole
User Info
(07-05-2017, 02:32 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Looks good Mel.

It goes without saying, but I shall write it anyway:  the creamy stuff atop the strawberries that are atop the waffles is not lather created from an exotic undisclosed shaving soap; instead it is — surprise! — actual whipped cream, brought to its state from dairy Heavy Whipping Cream by yr obdnt srvnt, wielding a hand-crank manual egg beater.

0 1,035
 07-08-2017, 05:52 PM
User Info
(07-05-2017, 04:42 PM)Mel S Meles Wrote:
(07-05-2017, 02:32 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Looks good Mel.

It goes without saying, but I shall write it anyway:  the creamy stuff atop the strawberries that are atop the waffles is not lather created from an exotic undisclosed shaving soap; instead it is — surprise! — actual whipped cream, brought to its state from dairy Heavy Whipping Cream by yr obdnt srvnt, wielding a hand-crank manual egg beater.

I hope that you at LEAST used a backbone-heavy 2-band badger to whip that up! Wink

25 915
 07-18-2017, 11:55 AM
User Info
[Image: EFHUpOi.jpg]

burgers : taters : grilled romaine
weber : performer 

13 1,087
 07-18-2017, 12:09 PM
  • Steelman
  • SUPPORT OUR POLICE OFFICERS
  • Delaware
User Info
A favorite from a small Italian town (Chieti) near Abruzzo. Macaroni pie. 

Made with spaghetti, salami, cheese, prosciutto and eggs. 

Cut it like any pie and eat it like a pizza. 

[Image: RvhgZbN.jpg]

157 1,281
 07-18-2017, 02:20 PM
User Info
^^  

I'm headed over right now.  Save a piece for me!  Smile

13 1,087
 07-18-2017, 03:35 PM
User Info
That sounds and looks delicious Steelman!

32 6,424
 Yesterday, 08:12 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
That looks great Ron!

45 17,977
 Yesterday, 08:13 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Tomorrow's dinner -Cevapi (grilled on the BGE) and a Mediterranean Salad. If it turns out, there will be pictures. Biggrin

45 17,977
 11 hours ago
User Info
(Yesterday, 08:13 PM)bullgoose Wrote: Tomorrow's dinner -Cevapi (grilled on the BGE) and a Mediterranean Salad. If it turns out, there will be pictures. Biggrin

A gourmet quality sausage and salad is always a great meal!

43 5,521
 3 hours ago
User Info
Phil, do you buy it or make it? I'd never heard of before now.

32 6,424