08-28-2017, 08:01 AM
User Info
Looks delicious Tom!

17 1,408
 09-25-2017, 12:47 AM
User Info
Last nights supper.

For reasons beyond my control I have been putting this off for 3 days; Pork LoMein. I love LoMein. I had some leftover pork medallions (julienned) and deliberately put vermicelli on the dinner list days previous so that I would have leftovers to work with. The result that I made with corn kernels off the cob and a red habanero sliced paper thin, seeds and pith, it might not be traditional, but it sure was good! It also had onion, carrot, and broccoli tips. I have no recipe. It included oyster sauce, soy sauce, water, and a slurry of corn starch. Dang! I forgot the garlic! It was still delicious. If one can get past the heat of the habanero they have a sim[ply wonderful flavor*; it brought a new addition to the flavor of the dish that I never thought of before but they are ripe and in the garden, so I gave it a try. The result was hot but delicious. If one is sensitive to hot pepper it would be off the scale hot. The heat can be mitigated a bit by removing the seeds and pith from the hot pepper. Not a traditional addition but a keeper. Of course the hot pepper can be omitted or replaced with sweet pepper. I had intended to include sweet pepper, but it was yet another item that I forgot we had. I blame the pre-dinner cocktails (not myself). :-)

I like my LoMein with generous sauce but not swimming in it. Hence the addition of a bit of water.

In years past I tried to make my stir fries with a wok, but western ranges simply don't work well with them. So I've either been using fry pans in cast iron, steel, Stainless steel or tonight a PTFE pan. I suspect the dish washer prefers the PTFE coated pan. I know the cook definitely prefers not having to re-season the steel pans.

Sorry, no pics. Picture white spaghetti in a brown sauce with all of the colors described above mixed into it.

*I know of no other milder pepper that has the same flavor or aroma. So if you're "heat" sensitive there is simply is no way to get the flavor I describe with another pepper.

32 6,458
 09-25-2017, 03:19 AM
User Info
Sounds good Brian.  I like lo mein, and one can always vary the meat, vegetables and sauce.

50 6,050
 09-25-2017, 03:21 AM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Your LoMein sounds great! 

I have read that the aji dulce pepper tastes very similar to the habanero with maybe one quarter of the heat.  Unless you have access to Puerto Rican market you will probably have to order peppers or seeds and grow your own.

8 1,356
 09-25-2017, 06:24 AM
User Info
Thanks for that info Shawn! I did not know that.

32 6,458
 09-25-2017, 02:51 PM
User Info
Sounds awesome.  I am a big noodle fan, will need to try this.

17 1,408
 09-26-2017, 04:39 AM
User Info
W|F' I also forgot to add a bit of ginger extract. It was still delicious just not as complex in flavor. That should indicate to you the latitude available when making it. There are recipes online if you need them. But if you have a general idea of what it's supposed to be you'll do fine with what you have on hand. It's different every time I make it. I was going to add water chestnuts, bamboo shoots, and hearts of palm, but I had so much in season that there simply wasn't enough "room" in the dish without making enough for 8 people, so those items remain in the cans.

It's also delicious made with chicken or beef. Using those I add the appropriate base to the small amount of water to enhance the flavor. If you know your way around a kitchen you'll do fine. It's not 5 star dining, but it's awfully good at filling the space between buckle and spine. Be sure you have everything cut and ready to add because once it gets going there is no time for prep'. It goes very fast. Basically it's stir frying just not with a wok. FWIW, to use a wok as it's intended one needs one of those in the video. Our western ranges just don't do it.

But a flat bottomed pan makes the best use of our burners. I've totally given up on wok after decades of trying. If you have a choice use the highest BTU burner that you have. Or use a piece of thick plate steel over the burner and put the pan on that as long as both are absolutely flat to conduct the heat. High flame of course and give plenty of time for things to get smokin' hot.

While I had the fresh LoMain last night the wife wanted something different. I told her that it sucked and not to waste her time (more for me). Tonight she told me that yes it sucked, but that she'd sacrifice and continue to help me get rid of the leftovers. So my ploy didn't work. I can make more but the next batch will probably be fried rice. It's just as easy as LoMein. I love egg/pork fried rice for breakfast.

32 6,458
 09-27-2017, 04:28 PM
User Info
Good info here.  Thanks Brian!

Yakisoba was a bachelor staple for me.  Somewhat similar.

17 1,408