06-09-2014, 01:35 AM
User Info
I was in a Whole Foods supermarket recently looking at their shaving products and noticed this brush, which is billed as a vegan alternative to animal-based products.

I was intrigued and decided to give it a try. It's only around $20.

I am quite new to using brushes. The other one I own, bought around the same time, is the Omega Pro 48. The Kelley Quan is smaller and more slender. Her background is in women's makeup brushes, and the shape of her shaving brush is more along those lines.

So far, based on my limited experience, it is doing a nice job. It feels nice (it's soft, not "scrubby") but is strong enough to whip up lather from a hard triple-milled soap. It also performs well with the Taylors of Old Bond Street creams.

Another nice thing is that Kelley herself answers e-mails. She's amazingly responsive (she even wrote back on a weekend) and is keen to hear feedback. I haven't seen anything else so far.

8 896
 06-09-2014, 03:09 AM
User Info
Here's what the KQ looks like. When I get a chance, I'll do some proper measurements and try to get a bit more technical.

[Image: wG4ROh7.jpg]

8 896
 06-09-2014, 07:49 AM
User Info
Wow! That is a very different-looking brush!
If you want vegan-alternative brushes, then most of the synthetics out there would be much better purchase, in my opinion. Whipped Dog synthetics are quite inexpensive and might work out better than this brush, but YMMV!
Good luck.

82 21,056
 06-09-2014, 07:55 AM
  • Johnny
  • MODERATOR EMERITUS
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(06-09-2014, 07:49 AM)celestino Wrote: Wow! That is a very different-looking brush!
If you want vegan-alternative brushes, then most of the synthetics out there would be much better purchase, in my opinion. Whipped synthetics are quite inexpensive and might work out better than this brush, but YMMV!
Good luck.

As usual, Mr. Celestino is correct again.

175 23,752
 06-09-2014, 09:24 AM
User Info
Gents...may I please have the benefit of a little deeper insight from you? The shape/area of the knot is the most obvious difference here, but in your judgment (at least as much as the photo can tell you), what else could affect the performance of the KQ?

I'll know more as time goes on, but so far, I don't think it's been a mistake.

8 896
 06-09-2014, 09:47 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
While it is possible to whip up a lather from many different kinds of brushes the face feel and performance might not equal the performance of some of the more established synthetics. To me, the proportions look very off and I don't think it would feel very natural on the face. Of course, you can only confirm these things by using it, but the better synthetics on the market try to mimic the face feel of real badger or boar brushes.

To give you an extreme example. If I really tried, I'm sure I could probably create a lather from a synthetic bristle paint brush. Would it be efficient and would the bristles feel as nice on the face as a recent generation synthetic fibre shave brush? Very likely not. But if I never tried any of the other synthetic shave brushes from one of the established manufacturers would I know the difference? I'm not saying that this brush is the equivalent of a paint brush of course...

I would invite you to try one of the more well known synthetic shaving brushes to be able to better compare. If you are looking for a lower price point, as pointed out by Celestino the Whipped Dog and Frank Shaving (FS is not as cheap as it used to be apparently) brands can be fairly cheap and quite decent for their performance. For my money however, the Plisson Synth is the best performing synth on the market. But I also like the Muhle V2 brushes.

14 871
 06-09-2014, 10:16 AM
User Info
(06-09-2014, 09:47 AM)Attila Wrote: While it is possible to whip up a lather from many different kinds of brushes the face feel and performance might not equal the performance of some of the more established synthetics. To me, the proportions look very off and I don't think it would feel very natural on the face. Of course, you can only confirm these things by using it, but the better synthetics on the market try to mimic the face feel of real badger or boar brushes.

To give you an extreme example. If I really tried, I'm sure I could probably create a lather from a synthetic bristle paint brush. Would it be efficient and would the bristles feel as nice on the face as a recent generation synthetic fibre shave brush? Very likely not. But if I never tried any of the other synthetic shave brushes from one of the established manufacturers would I know the difference? I'm not saying that this brush is the equivalent of a paint brush of course...

I would invite you to try one of the more well known synthetic shaving brushes to be able to better compare. If you are looking for a lower price point, as pointed out by Celestino the Whipped Dog and Frank Shaving (FS is not as cheap as it used to be apparently) brands can be fairly cheap and quite decent for their performance. For my money however, the Plisson Synth is the best performing synth on the market. But I also like the Muhle V2 brushes.

+1 I couldn't have phrased it any better! Try one of the Whipped Dog synthetics or any cheaper synthetic like Frank Shaving or such to compare it to this brush.
Really, if you are happy with it, then there is no need to do anything about it or to try any other brush, other than to experiment! Best of luck. Smile

82 21,056
 06-09-2014, 10:29 AM
User Info
Thanks, guys. I'll see how it goes.

8 896
 06-09-2014, 10:45 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
(06-09-2014, 10:29 AM)Rory1262 Wrote: Thanks, guys. I'll see how it goes.

FYI. Over at Badger and Blade in the for sale section there is a great deal on a Frank Shaving and Edwin Jagger Synth brush. The Plisson-Cade brush (which was a tremendous deal) has already sold however.

14 871
 06-09-2014, 04:51 PM
User Info
I reposted the pic -- the first one I took was when it was still wet. Now that it's dry, it's seen to better advantage, but clearly the shape is different from the customary bulb or fan.

8 896
 06-09-2014, 05:15 PM
User Info
(06-09-2014, 10:45 AM)Attila Wrote:

FYI. Over at Badger and Blade in the for sale section there is a great deal on a Frank Shaving and Edwin Jagger Synth brush. The Plisson-Cade brush (which was a tremendous deal) has already sold however.

If anyone's looking for a good deal on a nice Frank Shaving Pur Tech, Cameron (tailoredfamcam) has one for sale on our BST, right here Shy

95 2,586
 06-09-2014, 05:16 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
(06-09-2014, 05:15 PM)Jmartz Wrote:
(06-09-2014, 10:45 AM)Attila Wrote:

If anyone's looking for a good deal on a nice Frank Shaving Pur Tech, Cameron (tailoredfamcam) has one for sale on our BST, right here Shy

Good catch! There is a good selection of synths now being sold on both forums.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

14 871
 06-10-2014, 04:32 PM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
That brush looks remarkably similar to the HIS bullet brush - which I think is nice - but too small IMO.

17 535
 07-03-2014, 11:28 AM
User Info
Having used the KQ for a decent while now -- and more importantly, having read up more here and elsewhere -- I can offer a bit more.

This brush's action is painting because it is soft. Again, it works well in a bowl with creams (such as TOBS, which I have now). Backbone is not a characteristic that I'd associate with it. So, it's not so well suited to face lathering. In fact, the short video clip that's online specifically recommends a bowl. The model is using circular action, but I've found that the lather doesn't go on in a layer if you do.

I can see traveling with it (and a sample-size jar of cream) because of its dimensions.

I suggested to Kelley that she come on the boards for discussions with her core market. She said she has been meaning to.

8 896
 03-10-2015, 01:42 AM
User Info
About nine months down the road, I still enjoy using this little brush.
I noticed that while bowl lathering, it will splay out, even though that is not its natural inclination (because of its shape).
So I decided to give it a shot at face lathering today, and it did very well.

I still see it on the shelf at certain Whole Foods locations.

8 896