06-09-2014, 02:22 AM
User Info
Having asked, I figured I could share some cooking under adverse conditions - one step up from field rations, but not a very big step.

A bit of background; I spent a year in South Sudan as a UN Military Observer from September 2010 to September 2011, living with a small multinational team in a town called Yei. Partly to keep my family in touch with me, I blogged about my everyday life down there - among other things about what I ate and drank. So I'm going to do a bit of copy and paste from my old blog - text and pictures.

-+-+-+-+-

Sunday, 17 October 2010

Lets face it; I do not have access to a fully fledged kitchen with all the bells and whistles. But I do have a stove top, a pot, one pan and some other odds and ends... in other words, everything I need.

Dinner - when made in the container - has so far been one of three things:
- Combat rations
- Rice and Lentils
- Bean stew.
Combat rations I've done once, just to make sure they worked (I got like 30 or 35 bags of the stuff). Just rip the top of, pour hot water in, let sit for five to ten minutes and eat. About as exciting as freeze dried food always is... in other words, not very.

Rice and lentils are becoming my staple food - after all, the recipe is quick, simple and hard to foul up. ¾ dl rice, ¾ dl lentils, 4 dl water, spice to taste... cook on low heat until the water is gone.

[Image: RDSCN0170.JPG]
All you need to make dinner.

The bean stew I did for the first time today. While in Khartoum I bought a handfull of tins of the stuff, all in different 'styles' - todays late lunch / early dinner was in the Saudi Arabian style... One tin of bean stew, a dl or so of water, ½dl rice and some time on the stove top yielded tasty results. And, according to the label, a result that is full of whats good for me too. However, since I have a limited supply of this stuff, I wont have it too often - but it'll be a nice break from the rice and lentils now and then.

[Image: RDSCN0184.JPG]
Take one tin of bean stew.

[Image: RDSCN0185.JPG]
Put in pot, add water and rice. Let simmer for ten minutes or so

[Image: RDSCN0186.JPG]
Serve while hot and tasty.

3 4,512
 06-09-2014, 03:00 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Very interesting, Hans.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

102 18,653
 06-09-2014, 03:09 AM
User Info
There will be more Ravi, I just need to work my way through the blog and down memory lane Smile

3 4,512
 06-09-2014, 05:58 AM
User Info
Continuing down memory lane:
-+-+-+-+-
The Dinner Diaries
Sunday, 28 November 2010

Over the last three weeks I've been keeping track of my dinners - just to give everyone a better idea of what passed for "normal" when you're cooking with very limited kitchen supplies.

Each entry have three subsections: What, How and Comment. Most have pictures, but some does not.

[Image: rDSCN0339.jpg]
Sunday 07 November
Szechwan Hot & Sour soup with rice + one bread
Szechwan Hot & Sour cup soup, 4dl water, 1dl rice, cook until rice is tender. Use bread to clean pot and bowl.
Reasonable hot and spicy. Not quite the Chinese I get at home, but not bad either. Worth doing again.

[Image: rDSCN0342.JPG]
Monday 08 November
Three breads with honey, jam and “Tuna Lime & Pepper”
Slice in two, add spread, eat and repeat
Light dinner, since lunch was heavier than usual (dehydrated chicken in sweet and sour sauce, combat ration, 520 kcal)

[Image: rDSCN0345.JPG]
Tuesday 09 November
Rice and green lentils - African Curry style
½ dl rice, ½ dl lentils, 4 dl water, a tablespoon of African Curry, a block of Lamb Stock, salt and pepper to taste.
Planned as a light meal that should stay with me, since the Chief of Security asked if I wanted to hit a restaurant later. The place is a bit hit and miss as far as food goes, so better to eat a little first. Tasty, but go easier on the spice next time...Also, the restaurant had good food, but we opted for finger food so it worked out. Ethiopian is tasty.

[Image: rDSCN0347.JPG]
Wednesday 10 November
Aromatic Thai Chicken & Lemon grass soup with rice + one bread
Aromatic Thai Chicken & Lemon grass cup soup, 4dl water, 1dl rice, cook until rice is tender. Use bread to clean pot and bowl
A variation on Sundays dinner, but with a different 'cup soup' as the main flavor. Smelled really, really good while simmering. Nice creamy consistency, good taste. Could be spicier, but that is true for most of my container cooking.

[Image: rDSCN0355.JPG]
[Image: rDSCN0357.JPG]
[Image: rDSCN0358.JPG]
Thursday 11 November
Cod and Potato Casserole
Prepare as follow:
Fold out bottom and tear off the top of the pouch
Add boiling water to the fill line (approx. 3.6dl) (water at a lower temperature can be used)
Stir thoroughly.
Close the pouch with the zipper.
Wait min. 5 minutes (if using water at a lower temperature, the food must be allowed to rest for longer)
Yeah... it's dehydrated combat rations... I spent three hours talking to a fellow UNMO about everything from how to get fresh produce via learning English to the cost of housing, and then a bit more than an hour on the phone. It got late and I was hungry. Besides, it tastes pretty good.

[Image: rDSCN0360.JPG]
Friday 12 November
Rice and Lentils a la Tamarind
½ dl rice, ½ dl lentils, 4 dl water, one block of beef bullion, brought to a boil and let simmer until lentils are soft. Add tamarind to taste once on your plate.
Another variation on the staple food of rice and lentils. Pretty okay – would be interesting to combine the tamarind with meat of some description – probably goat, considering where I am.

[Image: rDSCN0362.JPG]
Saturday 13 November
Southern Cajun Gumbo soup with rice and one bread.
Southern Cajun Gumbo cup soup, 4 dl water, 1 dl rice, cook until rice is tender. Use bread to clean pot and bowl.
Smells good, tastes good. Yet another variation on a theme I got going... but it's quick, easy and filling as well as tasty.

[Image: rDSCN0366.JPG]
Sunday 14 November
Tex-mex rice and lentils.
½ dl rice, ½ dl lentils, 4 dl water, one cube of lamb stock, plenty of tex-mex spice.
Ye olde standby – but easy to make and very, very tasty. Now, where did I put the taco-meat, the home made salsa and the tortillas...

Monday 15 November
Ethiopian finger food
Eat out
Headed out to Addis Ababa restaurant (w/ pool table and bar) – TSL wanted to 'not have combat rations' for dinner, and invited me and the other 'wege out.

[Image: rDSCN0411.JPG]
Tuesday 16 November
Lapskaus
Fold out bottom and tear of top of pouch etc
Yeah, it's combat rations again – except it ain't. It's the civilian version, which comes in more flavors and honestly tastes a little better (more spices). It feels like cheating, but I was on a SDP all day and had no lunch. Quick and easy and tasty too.

[Image: rDSCN0414.JPG]
Wednesday 17 November
Medammes, Egyptian recipe, with rice.
One can of Egyptian style medammes (fava bean stew), 1 dl rice, 2 dl milk. Simmer for 45 minutes.
made with milk both because I had some milk left, and to create a milder flavour. Like most food I made, strangely tasty... probably a combination of being hungry, good raw materials, and home cooking.

Thursday 18 November
Ethiopian finger food.
Eat out.
Some of the other westerners in the area wanted to see the TSL before he headed out. I was more than happy to tag along – tasty food is tasty.

Friday 19 November
Chicken in Curry
Fold out bottom and...
Dehydrated dinner again – even if it feels like cheating. Trouble is, I was Duty Officer and all I had all day was two small breads, a bucket of coffee and two bottles of water. And it got late – dinner served at 2350.

[Image: rDSCN0416.JPG]
Saturday 20 November
Rice and lentils, BBQ style.
1 dl rice, ½ dl lentils, 5 dl water, beef stock and BBQ spice
Late lunch after a skimpy breakfast and little sleep. Made enough to leave a snack for breakfast. Different, but tasty.
"Real" dinner was buffet at New Tokyo - farewell party for our Danish TSL.

Sunday 21 November
Ethiopian finger food
Eat out
The TSLs last dinner in Yei. Planned (barely) partly due to a power outage in camp. Meet a couple of Dutch people at the restaurant and had a good time.

[Image: rDSCN0472.JPG]
[Image: rDSCN0473.JPG]
[Image: rDSCN0474.JPG]
Monday 22 November
Hot and Spicy Rice and Lentils
½ dl rice, ½ dl lentils, 5 dl water, chicken stock, one (1) self picked tiny pepper
Yes, there is hot peppers growing in our compound. I was warned by the Danish TSL just before he left that they were very hot, so just one made it into the pot this time

[Image: rDSCN0475.JPG]
Tuesday 23 November
Lentil, beans and kidney beans stew
One can of beans and kidney beans stew, ½ dl lentils, ½ can water, simmer until lentils are soft. Paprika, salt and pepper to taste.
Not entirely sure where the can is from – most likely it was among the stuff I got from the departing TSL. And since everything is better with lentils and/or rice, I added lentils. Quite tasty, with a rich, creamy mouth feel to it.

[Image: rDSCN0478.jpg]
Wednesday 24 November
Southern Cajun Gumbo soup with rice, lentils and one bread
Southern Cajun Gumbo cup soup, 4 dl water, ½ dl rice, ½ dl lentils, cook until rice is tender. Use bread to clean pot and bowl.
Slight variation on an earlier theme. Simple, tasty, filling.

[Image: rDSCN0480.JPG]
Thursday 25 November
Vegetable soup with rice.
Generic, no brand vegetable cup soup (UN rations), 1 dl rice, 4 dl water, spice to taste, boil until creamy.
Big lunch, since we're invited to a late dinner with the BanBat commander. Simple, tasty – but not as tasty as the cup soups I brought from Norway.

[Image: rDSCN0482.JPG]
Friday 26 November
Pea and chilli "omelet"
One can peas (250gr drained), two tiny peppers, two eggs, dash of salt. Sweat the finely chopped peppers in a bit of olive oil, add the peas, whip the eggs in a cup and pour over, stir until all the egg is cooked through.
More scrambled eggs than omelet, this was a precursor to a more ambiguous dinner. If I'm going to get horrible sick eating eggs, I rather not spend an hour or more preparing a tasty dinner first... hence the idea of an omelet. Back home I would toss some ham or diced salami in, but down here the choices are more limited. Tasted quite all right, with a nice after burn. Just enough to make my lips and tongue tickle, but not to much.

Saturday 27 November
Various, including goat on the barbie.
Get invited to a birthday party at one of the local NGOs.
Omm nom nom. Got promoted to "the BBQ man", and had a good time too.

[Image: rDSCN0485.JPG]
Sunday 28 November
Rice and lentils in chilli sauce
½ dl rice, ½ dl lentils, 5 dl water, lamb stock, chilli/garlic spice, a dash of chilli sauce, let simmer until thick and creamy.
Yet another variation. One thing I like about rice and lentils is the versatility of it. This one was nice and spicy, with a real tingle to it.

And that's it - three weeks of dinners from my kitchenette.

3 4,512
 06-09-2014, 06:08 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Very interesting Hans...thank you for sharing.

46 18,385
 06-09-2014, 06:27 AM
  • Agravic
  • Super Moderator
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
(06-09-2014, 03:09 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: There will be more Ravi, I just need to work my way through the blog and down memory lane Smile

Hans, I am impressed with the creative output from your kitchen 'on-the-go'.

Now I'm hungry ... Shy

102 18,653
 06-09-2014, 07:15 AM
User Info
It's actually fun to read up on my old blog again... many memories to be had, and not just of the food I made.
-+-+-+-+-
Why yes, we do know it's Christmas in Africa this year
Saturday, 25 December 2010

For those of us who is old enough and haven't quite repressed the memories of the 80's yet, we all remember this song...

Despite the fact that there is no snow in Africa for Christmas (seriously people, we're straddling the equator here), the people certainly do know it's Christmas time. Most of the town is in idle mode, as shops are closed and people are home. While I didn't go to church myself since I can give praise and thanks just as well by myself - a very scandinavian view on religion - but I did help ferry those of the UNMOs who wanted to do so to the various churches... Catholic, Anglic and the generic Lutheran. The rest of the morning have been spent on a chair in the shade, with my laptop speakers hooked up to my old mp3-player playing Christmas tunes, reading a decent good and just enjoying what I do have.

I had meant to make a tour to the YWAM School I've mentioned before, since I have a little something for them. However I learned yesterday that they were closed for the holiday, and even the live-in staff had gone home to their families. I don't mind too much, it just means they get to enjoy the holiday as well. Instead I retreated to the air-conditioned interior of my container when it got too hot outside (+34ºC in the shade) and watched A Christmas Story on my new laptop.

So yeah, it's Christmas in Africa this year. No snow though, but I managed without it. Even managed to cook myself a tasty treat for lunch:

[Image: ChristmasLunch1.jpg]
Freshly washed plum tomatoes and a peeled sweet red onion is the starting point, along with three eggs - leaving me with just one egg. I guess I'll have a hard boiled egg for breakfast tomorrow.

[Image: ChristmasLunch2.jpg]
Slice the onion in tiny little bits while a bit of oil heats up in the frying pan. The onion was so fresh and tasty I considered eating it raw - but it was destined for the pan, so that's where it ended up.

[Image: ChristmasLunch3.jpg]
Next, slice and dice the tomatoes. Just see how firm, yet juicy they are. I just love the fresh produce on the local market - from the field to the marked in a few hours, not days and weeks like the supermarkets back home.

[Image: ChristmasLunch4.jpg]
In a fairly hot pan, give it all a fryup. The smell was just yummy, the sound of the sizzling brought me from South Sudan to my own kitchen...

[Image: ChristmasLunch5.jpg]
When I say "omelet", I mean "hash" down here... call me paranoid if you like, but I rather make sure every last bit of egg is cooked well. A bit of paprika and chilly pepper went in at this point of the process, along with a pinch or two of salt.

[Image: ChristmasLunch6.jpg]
Pour onto a plate and enjoy while hot. The tenderness of the onions and the freshness of the tomatoes made this a very tasty treat for me today.

The next find along memory lane is something I enjoyed making for lunch while growing up - preferable without my parents noticing, since it's not really lunch-type food for a growing lad:

-+-+-+-+-

Life is short - dessert first!
Sunday, 26 December 2010

I didn't bother making dinner today... I made dessert! Fried bananananas... just a shame I didn't have any orange juice today, but the experiment is worth repeating.

[Image: TastyTreat1.jpg]
You'll need: some tiny bananas, butter or margarine, sugar and off course a frying pan to fry the whole shebang in.

[Image: TastyTreat2.jpg]
Cut the bananas in two, cover in sugar. If you can only get regular 'naners, cut slices.

[Image: TastyTreat3.jpg]
Start frying, flip an add sugar as needed. Towards the end of the process (when the bananas are getting soft and the sugar is caramelizing), add orange juice to make sauce.

[Image: TastyTreat4.jpg]
Slide onto a plate, serve hot. Yummy.

3 4,512
 06-09-2014, 08:11 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Wow! Thank you for sharing
Brought back memories of MREs I consumed in the field

9 1,684
 06-09-2014, 08:14 AM
User Info
Still heading down memory lane way faster than the speed limit... this time: not something I made myself, but still enjoyed;

-+-+-+-+-

Local eating
Wednesday, 26 January 2011

Let me start off by stating this: I'm filled to the gills right now.

WE're still on our Long Duration Patrol, and after we got back I joined a couple of the others (the LA, the SPLA NM, the fellow from Civil Affairs and one of the African UNMOs) to go grab a bite.

So we went to this brick shack with a tin roof they knew about from previous patrols, and we all had motoka (or something like that)... mashed tiny green bananas served with boiled greens and a beef stew on the side.. apparently, you mix the stew and the mash and eat it - with your fingers if you know how, with a fork if you're a silly European like me.

[Image: LDP27JAN089.jpg]
It was tasty and very filling... I might go lay in my tukul for a while to digest the meal properly...

3 4,512
 06-09-2014, 09:52 AM
User Info
(06-09-2014, 08:11 AM)gijames Wrote: Wow! Thank you for sharing
Brought back memories of MREs I consumed in the field

I'm happy to share Biggrin Speaking of MREs - or rather of the precursor to them in the Norwegian Armed Forces - here is my latest recovered food-related blogpost from my ToD:

-+-+-+-+-

The food you'll eat...
Wednesday, 2 March 2011

As the Norwegian saying goes; a beloved child have many names... Dead man in a can. Remains of blown up personnel. Recirculated personnel.

I am off course talking about Reservestridsproviant - Emergency Combat Rations. Old style military cuisine; hermetically canned, irradiated (because radiation is good for you!) and piled high in military storehouses... until they started phasing them out at roughly the same time I joined the Air Force (ie: a long time ago). Luckily I managed to get my dirty little hands at a couple of crates when they sold them off, and I still had one crate left when I deployed to Sudan. So when I got back down here after my last leave, I slipped a few cans in my luggage... because there is no finer cuisine in the field.

Well. There is no simpler way to get a decent mix of beef, pork, lard and peas. According to what I was told in boot camp, the peas is added to recipe to give you some fiber to help keep everything inside your guts... it can be pretty greasy stuff, even more so if you're forced to eat it cold. Mixed with rice, maybe some fried onion, or anything you want it makes a quite decent lunch or dinner - just don't plan on eating too much the rest of the day; it has more calories than you care to know about. The basic idea was that one portion should not only keep you on your feet all day, but keep you marching and fighting for that day.

[Image: RSP1.jpg]
Simple, utilitarian packaging... one tin can, stamped on the lid with all you need to know: Armed Forces, Emergency Combat Ration, Manufacturer Code, year of manufacture... why yes, this lovely dinner in making is 21 years old. And your point was?

[Image: RSP2.jpg]
I did forgo the traditional can opener (similar to the P-38 can opener) since I've never managed to open a can with that style opener. In the interest of not making a huge mess, I also did forgo the other traditional way to open these cans: using a bayonet or a sami knife.

[Image: RSP3.jpg]
Just dump in a hot pan - the lard it contains means you don't have to worry about putting butter or oil in the pan first. Fry while stirring, until it gets warm throughout and turns a darker colour. If you like you can add some spices at this point, salt and pepper being the traditional choice - since that was you you got in the ration packs back in ye olden days.

[Image: RSP4.jpg]
To bulk it out and add more fiber, I had boiled up a deciliter (uhm.. about 2/5 of a cup for my non-metric readers) of rice and added that to the meat... allowing it to simmer for a few minutes so the rice could soak up the flavours and reheat.

[Image: RSP5.jpg]
Mmmhm... yummy dinner. Off course, it should be properly enjoyed while being cold to the bones, sitting in a waterlogged foxhole and just waiting for the instructors to toss a tear gas grenade your way... but it's pretty durn good while warm, dry and sitting in a reasonable comfortable chair too.

For those out there who sadly cannot get hold of this delicate food, I know of two commercial alternatives that might be a little easier to get hold off:
- Trondhjems Turistproviant, which differs mainly in having less lard and have added onion and spices.
- Snurring, which again have less lard and have added rice, onion and spices.
Of those two, the first is the better option since it is closer to the RSP. And I said they would be easier to get hold off... not that they would be easy to find.

3 4,512
 06-09-2014, 09:57 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Thanks, Hans. This was really interesting. The onions, tomatoes, and eggs looked really delicious.

2 11,211
 06-09-2014, 10:24 AM
User Info
Necessity is the mother of invention... and when you only have limited resources to work with, you adjust the recipes and cooking style to match... And yes Freddy, my Christmas "egg hash" was very tasty - to the point where I still toss together things like that for a quick lunch now and then.

Still, I did a bit of more junk food cooking too:
-+-+-+-+-

Yummy lunch
Tuesday, 8 March 2011

I was hungry when lunchtime rolled around, so I decided - not for the first time - to make dinner for lunch and just have some bread for supper. As I was staring into the pantry - well, my cupboard - my eyes fell on the tin of Australian Processed Cheddar which must been handed down from western UNMO to western UNMO in the Team Site until it reached me. It didn't take me many seconds to decide both that it should be consumed before it went funny, and also that mac and cheese sounded like a delightful meal... so I put some water on the boil, grabbed my can opener and got cooking. The cheese sauce was simplicity itself; a bit of margarine, a dash of milk, every last bit of cheese product and salt, pepper and paprika to taste. End result was pretty good for being container cooking, although a far cry from the mac and cheese my better half cooks.

[Image: DSCN1272.JPG]
Double, double toil and trouble; Fire, burn; and, cauldron, bubble...

[Image: DSCN1273.JPG]
In one word: Yummy.

Still careening down memory lane, taking the turns on two wheels:

-+-+-+-+-

Spicy lunch
Tuesday, 15 March 2011

Sometimes you just want something that clears out the sinuses... so I made dinner for lunch again. Which is less bad than it sounds, seeing as how it means I'll have lunch (bread) for dinner instead... Anyhow, I felt for something spicy:

[Image: DSCN1355.JPG]
Foul, in it's many variations of spelling, is one of the staples in large parts of Sudan... well, except the part I am now off course. Basically it's bean stew - but often extras are added to make it a little more exciting. Like this tin, which have red chilly added to it - a good start for a spicy meal.

[Image: DSCN1357.JPG]
Broad beans, red chilli, water and salt... not much in the way of preservatives or "approved additives" here. For really simple cooking you could just pop the lid and heat the contents, but since I'm a firm believer that a can is not a unit of measurement when it comes to cooking, I couldn't leave it at that.

[Image: DSCN1358.JPG]
What better to combine with beans other than another kind of beans? Or lentils, as they are also known. A half deciliter of the stuff swells out to about twice that, meaning one can of foul goes from a snack to a meal.

[Image: DSCN1359.JPG]
Still not quite spicy enough, but in the back of my pantry this was lurking... a quick look at the expiration date, a quick sniff to make sure it was okay, and a quick pour into the pot to spice things up. About two, three tablespoons can really set things on fire! All in all, a tasty meal with a good afterburn... if I hadn't been on duty I would have grabbed a can of beer alongside, but as it is I had to make do with mango juice - not that mango juice is a bad alternative, far from it.

-+-+-+-+-

Looking back, a couple years after I wrote this, I had an insight which explains why I and several others bothered to cook at least one hot meal every day while on our ToD's, while a couple of the other westerners on my team site lived of freeze dried foods and cans:
Quote:...I'm a firm believer that a can is not a unit of measurement...
In short... re-hydrated food and heated cans may fill the belly, but it ain't food unless you "make" it.

3 4,512
 06-09-2014, 11:40 AM
User Info
Odd... if I post a reply, it attached to the previous post... but not all the time? Meh, I'm having too much fun to care:

-+-+-+-+-

Fond farewells and tasty dinner
Friday, 25 March 2011

Today the last few remainders of BanBat5 took the helicopter to Juba. Off course we all went down there to say farewell and wish them a safe journey.

[Image: 25MAR01.jpg]
Me on the left, then BanBat5 Commander in Yei, Civil Affairs and CITS.

For some reason I felt for a heavier and meatier dinner than usual today, so after dismissing the idea of hitting town I dug out a can of dead man, my spice jars and one of my little surprise finds from the supermarket; a tin of mushrooms

[Image: 25MAR02.jpg]
A minute or so with the can opener, and we're ready to turn this...

[Image: 25MAR03.jpg]
...into this. Full of good stuff, and fills you right up.

I keep walking down memory lane here, and enjoying the trip so far... just as I enjoyed this meal I made:

-+-+-+-+-

Tasty dinner
Thursday, 2 June 2011

It's not often I take out the "fine china", but today I decided to pull out all the stops and make fancy dinner.

Well, fancy for being container cooking. It turned out quite yummy, but I probably ate too much of it. I'm rather stuffed right now.

[Image: DSCN1800.jpg]
One tin of chicken luncheon meat (84% meat!) and two local red onions. I rather like the red onions, they have a slightly sweet taste.

[Image: DSCN1805.jpg]
The can came with a handy, dandy church key for tearing it open - which is good since my cheap can opener I bought in Khartoum is getting rather dull...

[Image: DSCN1806.jpg]
That is one square chicken.... the meat is rather firm, and I was tempted to just eat it cold. But the onions were already in the pan, so I forged ahead with my original plan.

[Image: DSCN1807.jpg]
Slices about 1 cm - or about 2/5" - were quickly cut, and stacked while I waited for the onions to finish.

[Image: DSCN1808.jpg]
With the onions out of the pan, I packed the sliced chicken meat into my small frying pan and heated it well. It made a nice crust as it fried up.

[Image: DSCN1809.jpg]
Speaking of onions...

[Image: DSCN1812.jpg]
Ready to eat: such a luxurious meal deserved my fancy place and good flatware.

3 4,512
 06-09-2014, 12:54 PM
User Info
Keep working my way through my old blog... and having fun.

-+-+-+-+-

Tandoori chicken!
Sunday, 5 June 2011

Last night was a quiet evening in the Blue - all told there were four of us present; the security officer, a Canadian UNPOL, the other Norwegian and myself. We had a good time though, since our Indian friend had helped our security officer marinating some chicken... tasty, tasty tandoori chicken.

[Image: 04June2011+01.jpg]
The picture is off topic, but I like the moon.

[Image: 04June2011+02.jpg]
These little coal burning stove is all the rage down here if you are well off - if you're not well off you make do with a stove built of bricks and mud. I am seriously considering buying one to bring home as a souvenir.

[Image: 04June2011+03.jpg]
Making it go isn't all that easy if you don't know how, as my Canadian friend and I found out... seems the trick is to light a small fire under the charcoal to heat everything up.

[Image: 04June2011+04.jpg]
Where there is smoke, there is fire - eventually.

[Image: 04June2011+05.jpg]
Looks cheerful and once the fire caught the charcoal started to smolder as well.

[Image: 04June2011+06.jpg]
The coals are getting hot and ready, so time to put the grill on and get the show on the road!

[Image: 04June2011+07.jpg]
Tasty, tasty tandoori chicken!

More meals I made in South Sudan:

-+-+-+-+-

All packed and somewhere to go
Monday, 6 June 2011

Tomorrow I set out for a four day patrol - so no blog updates until Friday at best. Maybe not even then; this coming weekend a delegation from the Welfare Section in Juba will arrive to see what we got going so far and what our current plans for the future is. So Friday might be busy and Saturday even more so - we're throwing a party in the Blue.

Today was also the last day in a while I cooked in my container - I cut the rest of the beef sausages into slices and fried them in my pot before I added beans. Turned out pretty good - or is it me lowering my standards down here? Hard to tell, but I enjoyed the meal anyhow.

[Image: 06June2011+01.jpg]
[Image: 06June2011+02.jpg]
[Image: 06June2011+03.jpg]
[Image: 06June2011+04.jpg]

Getting towards the "end of deployment" - the blog is talking more and more about wrapping things up and thoughts about leaving Africa...

-+-+-+-+-

Mac and cheese
Monday, 27 June 2011

Before the weekend I was given a small block of cheese by one of the NGOs. Today I deceided to make use of it and make dinner for the two Canadian UNPOLs who lives in camp and myself. And what to make? Well, mac and cheese off course!

[Image: MacAndCheese1.jpg]
Four cups of cooked pasta

[Image: MacAndCheese2.jpg]
One cup of cheese

[Image: MacAndCheese3.jpg]
"Enough" butter, milk and spices.

[Image: MacAndCheese4.jpg]
Result: Tasty dinner for three hungry guys.

This is the last food themed blogpost I made from South Sudan...

-+-+-+-+-

Rainy Sunday
Sunday, 28 August 2011

Sundays can be slow in Yei, and even more so when it's gray and rainy all day. To cheer myself up a bit I made "fancy" dinner - fried up some of the little sausages I bought in the Indian store, sliced some of the little breads in two, toasted the bread in the fat left over from the sausages and made little sausage burgers:
[Image: DSCN0016.JPG]

-+-+-+-+-

I had an eventful and interesting year, and looking back I actually ate rather well for being in deepest, darkest Africa. It helps that even in the back of the beyond you can get fresh supplies - in some cases fresher than at home. Thank you for letting me share this with y'all Smile

3 4,512