06-09-2014, 06:59 AM
User Info
I'm wondering what you guys do with soaps you take out of rotation? Do you sell them on, put them in a shoe box to gather dust, or just rotate between them all?

I find I like to have no more than 10 in rotation, some are retired seasonally, but increasingly many old favourites are being edged out by new products which keep mysteriously arriving.

0 84
 06-09-2014, 07:02 AM
User Info
My advice is to use a soap for quite a bit of time and learn it. Really experiment with how it works. I have done so with La Toja shave stick and really have achieved a great result. Changing everyday seems fruitless IMO only. I have many to choose from but consistently select the La Toja because it simply works for me. Simplicity.

As for what to do with the other soaps/creams, they await further experimentation themselves but I simply choose not to delve into a rotation at this time. I am also a firm believer in selecting a constant kit to really achieve your best shaves. I believe I am in the minority in this belief.

19 775
 06-09-2014, 07:46 AM
User Info
Soaps that I don't like find their way to the shower or I PIF them to friends. I, occassionally, sell them, but the shipping makes it not worth my time.
Good luck. Smile

82 21,056
 06-09-2014, 09:42 AM
User Info
(06-09-2014, 07:46 AM)celestino Wrote: Soaps that I don't like find their way to the shower or I PIF them to friends. I, occassionally, sell them, but the shipping makes it not worth my time.
Good luck. Smile

Do you have any in those conditions?

IPhone 5S using Tapatalk

13 1,313
 06-09-2014, 09:51 AM
User Info
I let them sit for a few months. If 6 months, a year goes by and I have had no urge to get it back out of the drawer? I PIF or sell it, depending on the value of the soap.

10 1,858
 06-09-2014, 10:22 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
(06-09-2014, 09:51 AM)Songwind Wrote: I let them sit for a few months. Is 6 months, a year goes by and I have had no urge to get it back out of the drawer? I PIF or sell it, depending on the value of the soap.

This is basically what I do... I built a simple Access database to keep track of everything shaving related along with each shave, and periodically I'll check for soaps in my inventory that haven't been used in a while and I'll make the decision as to what to do with them.

34 1,628
 06-09-2014, 10:52 AM
User Info
(06-09-2014, 09:42 AM)Rui Marques Wrote:
(06-09-2014, 07:46 AM)celestino Wrote: Soaps that I don't like find their way to the shower or I PIF them to friends. I, occassionally, sell them, but the shipping makes it not worth my time.
Good luck. Smile

Do you have any in those conditions?

* Rui, well, the new coconut-based soap that I just received is probably leaving the house, unfortunatley as I just prefer tallow-based ones; nothing wrong with it, but just not my preference. Blush

82 21,056
 06-09-2014, 11:06 AM
User Info
I try to keep all my soaps and creams in rotation... to me, the only reasons to take them out would be if the soap plain didn't work or I really disliked the scent - and in that case, I'm not sure what I would do. PIF it, if it wasn't used much, I guess.

3 4,373
 06-09-2014, 11:17 AM
User Info
I try to use up soaps that are not my favorite unless they really don't work then they get tossed.

119 13,017
 06-09-2014, 11:19 AM
User Info
(06-09-2014, 11:06 AM)WegianWarrior Wrote: I try to keep all my soaps and creams in rotation... to me, the only reasons to take them out would be if the soap plain didn't work or I really disliked the scent - and in that case, I'm not sure what I would do. PIF it, if it wasn't used much, I guess.

Me too. I have 33 soaps, creams, and soft soaps that I keep in rotation, and I've never had any go bad or completely lose their scent. I also have an additional 25 backups kept in reserve, "just in case." I suppose I'll probably end up selling most of those sometime.

206 12,189
 06-09-2014, 06:17 PM
  • Stubbl E
  • Lake Tahoe, California
User Info
I tend to stick with one, maybe two at a time. I finish them off and then replace it either with more of the same or something different. So not really any "rotation", as such.

0 567
 06-09-2014, 06:34 PM
User Info
I try to use what I have even if it's once every month or two...however, if I can't see it, I don't have it. So I'm limited to around 20 at a given time right now. Most I give to our son to use, some others I PIF or sell.

I really don't have a set rotation though, I use what I decide earlier in the day, or change my mind later when I shave that evening.

31 1,800
 06-10-2014, 05:14 AM
User Info
Thanks for the interesting replies. I admire those of you with a few hard favourites who don't have this problem. My SSAD really went crazy this year trying to find great bay rum and tobacco scents. Quite a few I'm evaluating and will eventually be passing on. Unfortunately I've found some great new brands which makes me want to explore their full offerings. I'm going to stop any day now, really.

Interesting poll: how many of you are hiding soaps from your wife?

0 84
 06-10-2014, 04:13 PM
  • Teddyboy
  • Guilty, with an explanation
  • NYC
User Info
When I find that I am not reaching for a soap frequently, I convert the soap into a shaving stick in a screw-up tube.

What I have started doing is using a shaving stick as a pre-shave wash, like some would use a pre-shave oil. It works superbly. I have actually kept a written record since I started doing it and have found that my shaves are much smoother, virtually no weepers in the last 3 months.

1 795
 06-12-2014, 02:39 AM
User Info
I have one soap and one cream for weekday shaves and 10 or so highly sought afters in a weekend rotation.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

1 167
 06-12-2014, 02:53 AM
User Info
(06-09-2014, 06:17 PM)Stubbl E Wrote: I tend to stick with one, maybe two at a time. I finish them off and then replace it either with more of the same or something different. So not really any "rotation", as such.

I started doing this two months ago and I just finished off my second puck.

A) You maximize performance of a soap [Consistency]
B) Consistency = better shaves! Every single shave now is pleasurable; no more hit or miss lathers.
C) You get the satisfaction of killing whiskers pass by pass and killing pucks of soap day by day. It's an instinctual pleasure.
D) Justifies the purchase of more soap Smile

Using one soap, start to finish, is tremendously gratifying. I have over 40 in my collection, and it was getting embarrassing =]. My shaves were on and off because lather is the key to a good shave. So, I bought a 4-drawer Sterilite container, separated them by Artisan & Commercial, and started rotating them like so.

You really begin to look forward to using that particular soap every day and it becomes an old friend. By the time you finish it, you'll be sad and wish it weren't gone.

12 715
 06-12-2014, 03:14 AM
User Info
Yeah, I've become more insistent on using up one soap. I may rotate in on once a week or something, but I got tired of the accumulation. I focus on one until it's gone. And get better shaves because of it because it really dials in.

For example, I've discovered some soaps definitely face lather better, and some bowl lather better. And the little tweaks that make the difference come from days on end with the same soap with different razor and blade combinations.

0 303
 06-12-2014, 04:00 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
I've only had to toss one soap so far (EJ Lime) . I prefer to finish whatever I'm using before opening a new puck. I get to know the product better this way.

Case in point. MWF lathered really well for me when it was fresh but as the soap wore down and cracked, I wasn't getting as great a lather. It was still good but no where near the first dozen uses. Proraso White was quite consistent though it lost a bit of its scent as I went through the tub.

These days, I stick to Cade since it's always available at my local L'Occitane, and price is about the same as US retail. I've pretty much learned how it plays with my water and brushes so I get a great lather each day every day.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

2 286
 06-12-2014, 05:33 AM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
I have a supply of roughly 40 soaps and creams. All are used in a random fashion guided mostly by mood and season. Even if I am on a run of satisfying BBS shaves I will switch products, including the razor and brush, after no more than three or four days. I enjoy variety and some challenge so if things are too easy, and results satisfying, I mix it up. Poor performing soaps are used as bath soaps. If I pass a product on, it is to share something that performs. If it was a dud for me I don't want to share the pain...

0 624