06-09-2014, 09:14 AM
User Info
Here's the latest in my handcrafted shaving brushes. Featuring a 26mm x 67mm TGN Premium Silvertip Badger knot set in a sustainably-harvested, ergonomically-designed Cocobolo Rosewood handle. You can see the full description here on my Etsy shop.

As mentioned previously, I'm offering 10% off any purchase from my Etsy store Now thru 6/15. Use Coupon Code FATHERS10 at checkout!

[Image: il_570xN.612552962_i8si.jpg]

2 610
 06-18-2014, 08:08 PM
User Info
Hello Smile

I just reviewed the products in your Etsy store and they are very, very nice. Thumbsup

0 23
 06-19-2014, 04:31 AM
User Info
I'm very glad you appreciate my work, Randy. As an FYI, because I sell the majority of my work through fine art/fine craft shows, what you see on Etsy represents only about 15% of my total inventory. You can see my itinerary on the "Events" page of my website.

So if you're looking for a variation of what you see on-line, please drop me an email.

2 610
 06-19-2014, 05:02 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
Very nice Brad! That is one BIG brush.

4 2,759
 06-19-2014, 06:52 AM
User Info
(06-19-2014, 05:02 AM)Coyote Wrote: Very nice Brad! That is one BIG brush.

Yes sir, it is! I designed the handle to fall naturally into the hand while the long shank rests comfortably in the palm, providing leverage that makes things easier on the fingers. At the same time, the big 26mm x 60mm knot/fob holds a lot of water. All together, it's a very "balanced" brush that's extremely easy (dare I say "enjoyable"?) to use whether face lathering or whipping up a good lather in a mug or bowl. All that said: I like to think I put a lot of thought, plus trial and error into the design before offering it for sale. While I'm admittedly prejudiced, I'm also keenly aware that in offering anything to a knowledgeable community like TSN, I need to be very "up-front" in my claims. (One "aw shucks" being worth a hundred "attaboys" and all that....)

This is the brush I use every day. And while I realize this design's not for everyone, which is why I also make brushes with more traditional--but still ergonomic--handles. But from the feedback provided by those who own these brushes, I think I'll keep offering them--at least for a while.... Smile

2 610
 06-19-2014, 07:07 AM
  • Coyote
  • Hondo, TX USA
User Info
I like it!

4 2,759
 06-19-2014, 07:35 AM
User Info
Looks very nice!!

17 454
 06-19-2014, 03:15 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
sure is a beauty, Brad !

0 1,291
 07-08-2014, 09:02 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
I think we owe it to our artisan's to tell them the truth...I don't think there is a single one of you who would seriously consider buying a brush with that handle.

The wood finish and detailing is beautiful, don't get me wrong, but, to me, that handle design is hideous. It sure is not ergonomic unless you plan on using it sideways like a paint brush, which I can't even fathom.

Sorry, Brad, but to me the brush just is not functional with that handle, and I feel that some people find it hard to criticize even when it is due.

Nonetheless, this is my opinion only, and of course you can disregard it if it doesn't suit you.

Good Luck!

74 1,503
 07-08-2014, 11:03 PM
User Info
I agree I would never buy this Design but it is certainly a work of Art and Beautiful! I find it amazing that you can make this from scratch!

46 1,102
 07-09-2014, 05:38 AM
User Info
(07-08-2014, 09:02 PM)Crag Wrote: I think we owe it to our artisan's to tell them the truth...I don't think there is a single one of you who would seriously consider buying a brush with that handle.

The wood finish and detailing is beautiful, don't get me wrong, but, to me, that handle design is hideous. It sure is not ergonomic unless you plan on using it sideways like a paint brush, which I can't even fathom.

Sorry, Brad, but to me the brush just is not functional with that handle, and I feel that some people find it hard to criticize even when it is due.

Nonetheless, this is my opinion only, and of course you can disregard it if it doesn't suit you.

Good Luck!

No worries, Matt. Don't be sorry. I'll take candor over kind words any day! If (when!) you think something stinks: tell me. I make my living creating fine craft on a wood lathe; so I can't afford to waste time (or money!) making things people don't like. By the same token, if you have ideas about how something should be done better, I'm all ears.

I developed this design after a lot of experimentation simply because short handles don't work for me. I've also sold several at fine craft shows (and online) to rave reviews. But that said: I'm sure this design's not for everyone. If it's not for you, tell me what is and I'll make you a brush that will blow your socks off. Wink

BTW, I just posted my standard custom order process. I would be honored by your consideration.

(07-08-2014, 11:03 PM)Ellas318 Wrote: I agree I would never buy this Design but it is certainly a work of Art and Beautiful! I find it amazing that you can make this from scratch!

I'm glad you appreciate the skill that went into creating this piece, Ellas. But more to the point, I appreciate your comment about this design even more--extremely helpful, as I mentioned in response to a previous comment. I built my business crafting what critics have called some of the finest salt & pepper mills in the world. That did not happen by accident. Within the past year I entered the wet shaving space--and you may rest assured that I will not be satisfied until my wet shaving gear ranks among the best available.

After all (if I remember correctly Huh), Babe Ruth also set a record for the most strikeouts. Wink

2 610
 07-09-2014, 07:20 AM
User Info
As discussed, opinions about the handle shape vary, but I think it is very clear that the craftsmanship is top-notch. In that sense it looks beautiful.

207 12,257
 07-09-2014, 11:15 AM
User Info
While I myself would most likely not make a purchase of this handle, I must say that this handle height has proven quite popular over the years. Rubberset made a fortune selling handles similar to this, and some of them are still quite a bit in demand. I'd probably be more inclined to like it if there were more of a bulb on the end, but that is just my opinion.

129 6,685
 07-09-2014, 12:13 PM
User Info
(07-09-2014, 11:15 AM)wingdo Wrote: While I myself would most likely not make a purchase of this handle, I must say that this handle height has proven quite popular over the years. Rubberset made a fortune selling handles similar to this, and some of them are still quite a bit in demand. I'd probably be more inclined to like it if there were more of a bulb on the end, but that is just my opinion.

Great conversation, Guys. This is exactly the kind of information I've been looking for. Thank you all very much! To get to specifics. Doug, when you say a bulb at the end, I presume you're talking about the top of the handle? (Not trying to be dense, but want to get it right. Angel) Quick edit: I presume we're talking about something along these lines. If so, hang tight, Guys. This is an easy brush to make. [Image: weJyncm.jpg]

2 610
 07-09-2014, 02:27 PM
  • Crag
  • Menifee, Ca 92586
User Info
Yes, the craftsmanship is beautiful...perhaps in another world (one where my hands actually worked like they are supposed to) I could have been attracted to the handle design, but in my case (hence my opinion) it would not work. I did have the pleasure of using a rounded version of a long handled creation from Matt DeReutem (SP) many years ago, that was similar...I guess for me the straightness and sharpness of the edges were a turn-off, but there is no arguing the craftsmanship.

I really liked your salt and pepper mills, and can understand where the design comes from. I guess I just like rounded edges, and plumper handles, but I suppose that's because everything else fails to perform for me. I think it would have been a beautiful and innovative design had the long section after the hourglass been cut off flush - I LOVE hourglasses which I find beautiful, but again that's just me....haha.

I'm all for new designs and thinking outside the box, but I'm the type who envisions how I would use the design, and I just couldn't fathom how to do it with that handle design...

In any case, keep it up...you have a LOT of followers, and plenty of sales so you MUST be doing it right...maybe I'm the flawed one here....lol

74 1,503
 07-09-2014, 02:38 PM
User Info
(07-09-2014, 12:13 PM)BSWoodturning Wrote:
(07-09-2014, 11:15 AM)wingdo Wrote: While I myself would most likely not make a purchase of this handle, I must say that this handle height has proven quite popular over the years. Rubberset made a fortune selling handles similar to this, and some of them are still quite a bit in demand. I'd probably be more inclined to like it if there were more of a bulb on the end, but that is just my opinion.

Great conversation, Guys. This is exactly the kind of information I've been looking for. Thank you all very much! To get to specifics. Doug, when you say a bulb at the end, I presume you're talking about the top of the handle? (Not trying to be dense, but want to get it right. Angel) Quick edit: I presume we're talking about something along these lines. If so, hang tight, Guys. This is an easy brush to make. [Image: weJyncm.jpg]

Yes, this is what I was talking about. A very classic design. I'm not a big liker of large handles, but this is a tried and true design which is similar to yours, just looks a bit easier to grip.

129 6,685
 07-09-2014, 03:04 PM
User Info
(07-09-2014, 02:38 PM)wingdo Wrote:
(07-09-2014, 12:13 PM)BSWoodturning Wrote:

Yes, this is what I was talking about. A very classic design. I'm not a big liker of large handles, but this is a tried and true design which is similar to yours, just looks a bit easier to grip.

Thanks much (again) for your input, Guys. I want to think about what you've told me and just might have some thoughts in the morning.

Matt, you're not the odd one here. Differences of opinion and varying personal situations/perspectives are what make the world go 'round. On a lark, I included a 30mm Silvertip knot in my last TGN order with the idea of crafting a stubby, but a stubby with a slight design difference. (Yes, it'll include rounded corners Smile)

2 610
 07-09-2014, 07:44 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
Welcome to TSN Brad...Thank you for offering your talents and outlining your process! Now it's time to start dreaming up designs guys!

4 794
 07-10-2014, 05:56 AM
User Info
(07-09-2014, 07:44 PM)LORDBISHOP Wrote: Welcome to TSN Brad...Thank you for offering your talents and outlining your process! Now it's time to start dreaming up designs guys!

Thank you, Sir. This thread's given me a lot of ideas (inspiration? Confused). I hope to have some more pics in a day or two.

2 610
 07-10-2014, 08:48 PM
  • LORDBISHOP
  • Lover of the Wet Shaving way of Life
  • Westchester, NY
User Info
(07-10-2014, 05:56 AM)BSWoodturning Wrote:
(07-09-2014, 07:44 PM)LORDBISHOP Wrote: Welcome to TSN Brad...Thank you for offering your talents and outlining your process! Now it's time to start dreaming up designs guys!

Thank you, Sir. This thread's given me a lot of ideas (inspiration? Confused). I hope to have some more pics in a day or two.

Can't WaitLightbulb Thank you Brad!

4 794