06-09-2014, 04:58 PM
User Info
Way back in 1961 my parents received an Imperial Kamado as a wedding gift. It has been used hard for the last 50 years and has finally developed a crack in the bottom piece a few weeks ago. I was more than bummed and realized that it would be a while until I was able to shell out the money for a new one.

[Image: kamado.jpg]

Last weekend, I was driving by a hardware store that was going out of business and was selling everything off at reduced prices. I scored a Kamado Joe for just about 50% of retail and I am more than excited about it. I would have really liked a large Oval Primo, but it was just out of my range. The only defect was that one of the deflector plates was broken. A quick 2 minute call to the mother ship and I have a new one being shipped.

The guy at the hardware store didn't want to try and get the crate in my car. I told him it would fit and if it didn't I would give him a $20 for his trouble. He was hesitant but I got it shipping crate and all in my Honda Fit. It was too big to get out by myself, so I had to un crate it to remove it from the car.

[Image: kj.jpg]

After getting it home and set up, my first cook was a couple butterflied chickens to make sure that I could maintain the temps I wanted on the new grill. I took a plate of food to three of my neighbors to celebrate. Yesterday, I decided it was time to do a Boston Butt and went big with a 12 lb roast. The temp was a little hot (275-300F) for most of the cook, but it came out very well. Here's a pic after about 10 hours in the kamado.

[Image: porktastic.jpg]

I'm really excited about this new grill and just wanted to share.

18 591
 06-09-2014, 05:01 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

102 18,669
 06-09-2014, 05:41 PM
User Info
Nice score! I have the Primo and ceramic cookers are awesome. You will enjoy it for years.

You mention the temp and you probably calibrated that dome thermometer.

That pork bark looks awesome!

31 1,800
 06-09-2014, 06:16 PM
User Info
Congratulations, Dale, and enjoy the cooker!

83 21,115
 06-09-2014, 06:52 PM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
Dale, what a great score and the food looks wonderful! Smile

2 11,211
 06-09-2014, 10:06 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

46 18,638
 06-09-2014, 10:36 PM
User Info
Congrats! You'll love the food that comes out of it!

32 6,471
 06-10-2014, 04:00 AM
User Info
Thanks everyone. I am hoping that this is the last grill I ever have to buy. One of the best parts of the ceramic cooker is that I can still use it when there is a foot of snow on the ground and it is well below freezing.

(06-09-2014, 05:41 PM)Bowhnter Wrote: Nice score! I have the Primo and ceramic cookers are awesome. You will enjoy it for years.

You mention the temp and you probably calibrated that dome thermometer.

That pork bark looks awesome!

Thanks. The pork came out very well. I actually surprised myself as I have always stuck to smaller 6-8 lb cuts.

I haven't calibrated the dome gauge, but probably should. I will have to look up how to do it. I modified a clip from an oven thermometer that clips to the grill grate and holds a probe for a digital unit I have. In the three cooks I have done, it appears that the dome temp is about 20F less than the temp at the grate.

18 591
 06-10-2014, 04:58 AM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Yummy!
Congrats on the purchase

Does it take wood and charcoal?

9 1,684
 06-10-2014, 10:06 AM
User Info
I want one of those!

15 771
 06-10-2014, 02:14 PM
User Info
(06-10-2014, 04:58 AM)gijames Wrote: Yummy!
Congrats on the purchase

Ceramic cookers won't survive a wood fire or won't survive that abuse for long. They are designed to use lump charcoal only. Wood is used in small quantities though, but only for the smoke.

32 6,471
 06-10-2014, 03:01 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
(06-10-2014, 02:14 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote:
Congrats on the purchase

Ceramic cookers won't survive a wood fire or won't survive that abuse for long. They are designed to use lump charcoal only. Wood is used in small quantities though, but only for the smoke.
Thank you for the reply Brian

So a small amount to provide a Smokey flavor may be okay? Like perhaps a couple cups of cherry chips?

9 1,684
 06-10-2014, 04:57 PM
User Info
(06-10-2014, 03:01 PM)gijames Wrote:
Congrats on the purchase

So a small amount to provide a Smokey flavor may be okay? Like perhaps a couple cups of cherry chips?

Yes, just a small amount to provide the smoke. You don't smoke the whole time, just for the first hour or two. I haven't used chips in years as I had a large apple tree get hit by lightening. I cut a bunch of it up and have been using it. I just throw a chunk or two on top of the coals.

18 591
 06-14-2014, 01:54 PM
  • Sully
  • Super Moderator
  • Cedar Park, Texas
User Info
Nice score Dale. I managed to pick up an extra large Big Green Egg a few years ago for a crazy low price. I wanted an extra large oval Primo but it was out of my price range. My BGE has been everything I hoped for and more. Enjoy many years of fine cooking with you smoker.

9 1,452
 06-14-2014, 02:17 PM
User Info
I will own one of these someday

19 775
 06-14-2014, 09:21 PM
User Info
(06-10-2014, 03:01 PM)gijames Wrote:
Congrats on the purchase

No chips. That will be a flash in the pan. You want chunks. Too, the environment in the cooker (lid closed always when cooking/controlling the heat) is an oxygen deficient atmosphere, so the wood will not flame and only smoke. Where I'm going with this is do not soak the chunks. Dry is fine, and you want the wood to be cured. No green wood as it can result in bitter tasting smoke. But yes, wood for smoke generation is absolutely fine and desirable.

How much to use is your preference. Poultry is a sponge for smoke and a very tiny bit is more than enough. What I get from the lump charcoal is plenty for us for poultry. For grilling beef 2 chunks of apple or cherry is more than enough. But if you're making something very spicy, pastrami would be an example, you can and should use more wood for smoke so that it can be tasted when mixed with the spices. You'll know how much to use by experience. It all depends what wood you're using too. There's a good listing of woods (and discussion) on the primogrillforum.com, but unfortunately you need to be a member to get in to see it. It costs nothing. Non-members only see the most superficial areas of the site. Anyone is welcome there, but like taking Jane to the Prom and talking about Sue, we discourage cheerleading of other ceramic cookers. It's just not good form since Primo pays the bills. Lots of folks there have other brands though. There's lots of info in the archives and most ceramic cookers work similarly.

As already written by Dale, you just want enough smoke for the first hour or 2 at most. Once the outer portion of the meat warms up it stops accepting smoke and the smoke just stays on the outside. For a longer smoke acceptance period put the meat in the cooker while it's still cold but coming up to temperature. That will gain you another 1/2 hour or so.

32 6,471