06-11-2014, 03:56 AM
User Info
gents,

I'm a newbie to making coffee outside of using a coffee pot, but at most, I'll drink 1-2 cups, if I ever do drink coffee.

what's the best thing that'll suit my needs to accomplish this without a lot of waste?

I plan on buying quality, whole beans and grind them just before use, if this is the advisable thing to do.

also, I don't mind spending some money, though I certainly don't want to spend a fortune.

40 5,830
 06-11-2014, 06:20 AM
  • Barrylu
  • Portland OR
User Info
(06-11-2014, 03:56 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: gents,

I'm a newbie to making coffee outside of using a coffee pot, but at most, I'll drink 1-2 cups, if I ever do drink coffee.

what's the best thing that'll suit my needs to accomplish this without a lot of waste?

I plan on buying quality, whole beans and grind them just before use, if this is the advisable thing to do.

also, I don't mind spending some money, though I certainly don't want to spend a fortune.
Any of these should meet your needs:
http://www.sweetmarias.com/store/brewing...ource=grid
yes it is absolutely necessary to grind your beans just before use.Here don't skimp on cost. Get a burr grinder not a blade grinder. I used to like the coffee at a dinner on Snyder Ave in S.Philly. Cant remember the name now.

68 1,068
 06-11-2014, 08:57 AM
  • freddy
  • Banned
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I have an Aeropress and find it makes a very pleasant cup of coffee.

2 11,211
 06-11-2014, 09:02 AM
User Info
+1 that the AeroPress is the way to go for brewing a cup at a time. Easy use and cleanup and delivers one of the smoothest cups of coffee you can make yourself.

31 8,057
 06-11-2014, 09:12 AM
  • v4257
  • Always chasing the perfect shave
  • Boston, USA
User Info
I would recommend taking a look at cafetiere if you haven't already - for e.g. http://bodum.bodum.com/us/en-us/shop/detail/1928-16US4/

The cafetiere or french press is ubiquitous in Europe and will allow you to make exactly the amount of coffee you need (1 cup, or more, or less) with minimal fuss. Last a long time (unless you break the glass), don't cost much money and some argue - allow you to savor the full flavor of the bean & roast.

Bodum is the most popular brand and is available in both B&M stores as well as several online retailers. More expensive than other similar products - but IMO - offers the best quality (esp the glass inserts).

17 535
 06-11-2014, 08:38 PM
User Info
thanks for the links and tips! I'll check them out when I get some time.

I imagine not using the aeropress often at all, but when I do drink coffee, I prefer a quality ingredient.

40 5,830
 06-11-2014, 11:43 PM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
(06-11-2014, 09:02 AM)SharpSpine Wrote: +1 that the AeroPress is the way to go for brewing a cup at a time. Easy use and cleanup and delivers one of the smoothest cups of coffee you can make yourself.
I've been using one for a year and it is fast, easy to clean up, easy to use and makes good coffee. I ditched the paper filters and got an Able stainless filter disk to increase flavor and minimize waste.

Would also suggest you get a decent grinder (porlex hand grinders are good and reasonably priced,) and if you can splurge on one, a temperature control kettle like Buona Vita.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

2 286
 06-12-2014, 06:46 AM
User Info
I much prefer pour over to Aeropress. Hario v60 or Bee Hourse Melitta style all the way for me.

15 771
 06-18-2014, 05:10 PM
  • ojinsa
  • San Antonio
User Info
(06-12-2014, 06:46 AM)guildx500 Wrote: I much prefer pour over to Aeropress. Hario v60 or Bee Hourse Melitta style all the way for me.

Ditto. Pour over is tailor made for 1 to 2 cups.

27 860