06-11-2014, 01:02 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

I look forward to a much needed trip, although short, in a few days. Plans include a visit with the great Sham and my other friends in Kansas City. I also will take a short trip to Cape Girardeau to visit the noble Lynn Abrams. I thought I would share photos of my travel shave gear with you.

The razors are the Henckels Friodur INOX 6/8 and the Feather Artist Club DX with Professional blades for backup. The strop is the Tony Miller 2-inch cowhide with tether that can be rolled into a can with lid. The wet pack is a reproduction of WWI British officer's wet pack.
[Image: a9bXm0l.jpg]
[Image: AeeWvhy.jpg]
[Image: SeSyA2Y.jpg]
[Image: 8JxNL3i.jpg]
[Image: sRfkOZo.jpg]

153 3,132
 06-11-2014, 01:29 PM
User Info
Very nice kit. I usually travel with an AC only, but I like the roll away strop!

129 6,685
 06-11-2014, 01:31 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Very nice, Obie. Safe travels!

102 18,669
 06-11-2014, 01:54 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(06-11-2014, 01:29 PM)wingdo Wrote: Very nice kit. I usually travel with an AC only, but I like the roll away strop!
Thanks for the kind words, gentlemen.

Doug, several years ago, I took just the Feather on the trip, and by the third or the fourth day, I was craving the traditional straight. The last two days of my trip I was so tired of the Feather that I chose not to shave, which is rare for me. Now the Feather always goes as backup.

My travel straight is the Friodur INOX, which is easier to maintain. I love that little strop, even though it is a 2-inch — I prefer the 2/5-inch strop. Anyway, it is a sweet little strop that fits nicely in the can — I throw it in the suitcase without worries.

The Friodur takes a magnificent edge and gives the sweetest shave. I wish it were a square point, however, as I am not all that fond of round point razors. But most of my vintage NOS Solingen razors are round point and that's why I use them infrequently.

Since this is a car trip, I am taking a large duffel bag, which will hold everything I need. The shaving gear is the most important, though.

153 3,132
 06-11-2014, 02:08 PM
  • gijames
  • Mile High Soldier
  • TN, USA
User Info
Excellent Obie! Beautiful gear Biggrin
Someday I plan on making one of the mid-west shave gatherings

Blessings,
James

9 1,684
 06-11-2014, 02:16 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(06-11-2014, 02:08 PM)gijames Wrote: Excellent Obie! Beautiful gear Biggrin
Someday I plan on making one of the mid-west shave gatherings

Blessings,
James
Thank you for the kind words, James. This is actually not a gathering. My wife is from Kansas, and while she is visiting family, I'll take some time to visit with my straight razor cronies.

Lynn and Sham are not only my friends, but they are also my straight razor honing teachers. The third is the great Randy Tuttle, also my dear friend, in St. Paul, Minnesota. I often boast that I have had the three greatest honing masters for teachers. How lucky can one get?

153 3,132
 06-11-2014, 04:07 PM
User Info
You travel first class with your shave gear Obie. I've been using a straight for years, but confess to packing my Weber DE when traveling.

51 6,444
 06-11-2014, 04:44 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Ricardo,
I used to travel with the double edge razor as the backup to the straight, but eventually the Feather DX replaced it.

153 3,132
 06-11-2014, 05:48 PM
User Info
Obie,

Obviously, you will be able to have some great shaves while away from home. Trust that you will have a good visit with family and friends. I will be in Kansas City for work the last week of this month but my razor will probably be a Weber or a Wilkinson Sticky. I will be back in touch with you to follow up on our earlier correspondence.

Enjoy safe travels my friend.

32 1,749
 06-11-2014, 05:59 PM
User Info
enjoy yout journey Obie ! and your shaves of course Smile

1 495
 06-11-2014, 06:26 PM
User Info
Beautiful kit, Obie! Enjoy your trip, my friend! Smile

83 21,115
 06-11-2014, 07:14 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,
I always try to enjoy my shaves wherever I go. After all, some things are really indispensable.

(06-11-2014, 05:48 PM)ridgerunner Wrote: Obie,

Obviously, you will be able to have some great shaves while away from home. Trust that you will have a good visit with family and friends. I will be in Kansas City for work the last week of this month but my razor will probably be a Weber or a Wilkinson Sticky. I will be back in touch with you to follow up on our earlier correspondence.

Enjoy safe travels my friend.
William,
I look forward to hearing from you.

153 3,132
 06-11-2014, 07:29 PM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Excellent travel kit Obie! I have never travelled with my straights, I usually go for an easy/thoughtless set up. However, when I think about it, I probably have more time to have a nice, slow, and relaxing shave on my business travels than I do at home...so I think on my next trip, I'm inspired to have at least one of my straights accompany me!

I'm loving the Friodur INOX by the way (I really need to get my hand on one myself)! Safe travels and enjoy your time!

34 1,627
 06-11-2014, 07:41 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Very nice travel kit with some excellent products. If you are coming back through St. Paul take a detour through Wausau on your way home and we will treat you to a meal.

179 23,943
 06-11-2014, 08:01 PM
  • evnpar
  • Emeritus
  • Portland, Oregon
User Info
Beautiful kit, Obie. I usually just throw in a cart for a few day's travel, but I now have an excuse (as if I need one) to purchase more shaving gear. That Friodur and Tony Miller would fit perfectly in my new travel bag. Now if I could only find some shaving buddies where my in-laws live.

38 5,200
 06-12-2014, 02:53 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen, thank you for the kind words.

Giorgio, you will be amazed at how easy it is to travel with the straight — and take your time for a sweet shave. If flying, obviously I check the straight and the strop with my luggage. If driving, so much the easier. The INOX is ideal for travel, because it is easier to take care of; however, I have traveled with carbon steel straights, too, and never experienced problems. I dislike paddle strops. This strop works well; I wrap the tether around a door knob and strop to my heart's delight.

Richard, we travel every summer for a week or so to Kansas City for the dearly beloved to visit her family. This year, I am especially taking advantage of the trip by visiting my Kansas shaving cronies as well as the noble Lynn Abrams down in Cape Girardeau. Indeed, I am looking forward to this trip.

Johnny, thank you for the invitation to visit Wausau. Yes, I will definitely keep it in mind. When my novel comes out this summer, I'll suggest to the publisher a book signing and reading in Wausau. Can't wait.

153 3,132
 06-12-2014, 06:52 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(06-12-2014, 02:53 AM)Obie Wrote: Gentlemen, thank you for the kind words.

Giorgio, you will be amazed at how easy it is to travel with the straight — and take your time for a sweet shave. If flying, obviously I check the straight and the strop with my luggage. If driving, so much the easier. The INOX is ideal for travel, because it is easier to take care of; however, I have traveled with carbon steel straights, too, and never experienced problems. I dislike paddle strops. This strop works well; I wrap the tether around a door knob and strop to my heart's delight.

Richard, we travel every summer for a week or so to Kansas City for the dearly beloved to visit her family. This year, I am especially taking advantage of the trip by visiting my Kansas shaving cronies as well as the noble Lynn Abrams down in Cape Girardeau. Indeed, I am looking forward to this trip.

Johnny, thank you for the invitation to visit Wausau. Yes, I will definitely keep it in mind. When my novel comes out this summer, I'll suggest to the publisher a book signing and reading in Wausau. Can't wait.

That would be great. We have the standard Barnes & Noble and we have a long standing local treasure downtown, Janke Book Store.

179 23,943