06-11-2014, 08:49 PM
  • JrReyes
  • Cartridge Converter
  • Ft. Worth, TX
User Info
[Image: ccFACl1.jpg]
[Image: 77XTT0e.jpg]

I cut down an empty 25mm round casing that I would like to turn into a shaving brush. When I measured the opening, it came out to about 32mm. I know I can get a 30mm knot, but what can I do to help complete this project? If there are any hobby brush makers out there I would really appreciate the input.

Hmm

19 277
 06-12-2014, 05:40 AM
User Info
This is going to be an amazing brush!

Enviado de meu GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk

0 163
 06-12-2014, 06:24 AM
User Info
I would first contact Rudy Vey about how to convert the round casing into a brush. He is a very well-respected TSN artisan brush-maker and wet shaving enthusiast.

http://shavenook.com/user-rudy-vey

0 386
 06-12-2014, 08:28 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
If I were doing this project I would clear coat the shell first. Fill it with hot glue to the point of setting my shelf and allow that to fully cool. I would then add another dollop of hot glue and insert my knot, ready to shave with after about fifteen minutes of cooling. Should be a relatively easy project and I look forward to seeing your results however you decide to go about it.

139 2,676
 06-12-2014, 09:24 PM
User Info
I think that contacting Rudy Vey would be a good starting point. If it were mine, then I would probably "paint" the edge by spreading some paint on a piece of paper and pressing the cut edge into the paint and let dry. I'd do at least 3 coats this way to ensure good coverage of the edge, then I would clear coat the entire piece (inside & out). Then I would try and source a 30mm knot that comes in a "cup", so that it could just drop into place and cover the shell casing opening for a nice finished look. If a 30mm "cupped" knot wasn't available, then the edge of the casing would need to be de-burred and sanded smooth prior to the painting process. At that point I might try and color the knot epoxy black and get a black badger or black synthetic knot so that there isn't any "empty" space between knot and casing.

1 71
 06-13-2014, 05:28 PM
User Info
I would drop a piece of wood inside the casing to add both weight and stability to the shell. I love this idea can't wait to see it finished.

0 29