06-12-2014, 04:15 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
My courier service messaged to say that my parcel is now at customs. That box has 2 Vie Long natural whites that I've been waiting to try.

Since this is my first exposure to horse, I'd like to ask if I need to soak horsehair for 5 to 10 minutes (like boar brushes) before lathering? Or are they like badger and I just need to soak them for just a minute or so?

Thanks TSN!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

2 286
 06-12-2014, 05:49 AM
  • u2u
  • GTA
User Info
I have five Vie-Long horses in my collection and treat them all like badger. No need to soak. Well made, attractive, and great performers at their price point. Hope you enjoy the ride.

0 631
 06-12-2014, 06:16 AM
  • Giorgio
  • Pennsylvania, US
User Info
Karlo, as always this is a YMMV thing so opinions will vary in regards to soaking, but I soak all my non-synthetics for the duration of my shower. While the horse does have very fine and soft bristles, you will notice there are some that are quite tough (almost like plastic), which are typically set a little lower. For me, I have found that soaking them seems to soften them up a little which dulls the scritch sensation a bit.

Of course the best way to find out is to experiment and see if soaking does make a difference, and which do you prefer. Congrats on the brushes and good luck with them Biggrin!

Let us know how you like them Smile

34 1,628
 06-12-2014, 06:30 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
Will do Giorgio!

Thanks u2u!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

2 286
 06-12-2014, 06:35 AM
User Info
Like any other brush, I give it a good rinse prior to the shower and thats it.
Soaking boar brushes for long makes them too floppy and no added value to badger brushes as far as I can tell.

6 827
 06-12-2014, 07:42 AM
User Info
When I had horse-hair brushes, I would just run them under warm/hot water for approximately 30 seconds and then start face-lathering. Some folks think 5 minutes is a good time, but YMMV. Try experimenting and see what works for you. Good luck. Smile

82 21,077
 06-12-2014, 08:05 AM
  • Rufus
  • Greater Toronto Area
User Info
For as long as it takes me to have a shower. I soak all my badger and boar brushes this long as well.

7 909
 06-13-2014, 09:07 PM
User Info
Second on the Rufus comment. Then shake and whip up some fluffy stuff.

7 156
 06-14-2014, 02:28 AM
  • sm304
  • Carnoustie, UK.
User Info
I'm with Rufus, all of my brushes soak in warm water whilst I'm in the shower. Including my synthetics but that is just out of habit I suppose. One little thing before using it in earnest, I would do a few test lathers with a strong scented cream or soap. My Vie Long horse was a little stinky out of the box, but a very nice brush once the smell was gone.

0 89
 06-14-2014, 02:45 AM
  • Karlo
  • Manila, PHL
User Info
(06-14-2014, 02:28 AM)sm304 Wrote: I'm with Rufus, all of my brushes soak in warm water whilst I'm in the shower. Including my synthetics but that is just out of habit I suppose. One little thing before using it in earnest, I would do a few test lathers with a strong scented cream or soap. My Vie Long horse was a little stinky out of the box, but a very nice brush once the smell was gone.

Thanks! Regardless of the brush, I usually shampoo it as soon as I get it and then do some test palm/bowl lathers. Apart from getting any stink out, it helps me gauge how the brush loads and whips up a lather. I never grew up around horses so I don't know what folks mean by a barnyard scent. Smile I am sure I will find out soon enough as customs is supposed to release my parcel by Tuesday or Wednesday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 286
 06-16-2014, 12:44 AM
User Info
I soak them 1-2 minutes like my Boars
No special treatment.

0 353